Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ukulossary

Quote Originally Posted by tripl3thr33 View Post
    Cutaway: where part of the body is "cut off" to allow fingers to reach higher frets.

How about adding materials descriptions? Like koa, mahogany, mango, etc, and their tonal qualities? Or something like solid, laminate, spruce tops and how they might affect sound. I, myself, don't know too much about these things so I can't offer input on those. And also maybe including Low G and Wound C, seeing as people like to ask about those.
    i thought about that but then it gets to the point that you have to explain too much. im basically just keeping this a glossary of terms that one might want to run back to when they see word that goes right over their head. putting woods down is usually better explained through wikipedia. anything more than that would be too subjective and not really along the lines of a "definition".

i will put your definition of cutaway though. thanks for that.

as far as tuning... thats another subject that can have a whole chapter written about. if i were to put hi G tuning and lo G tuning, i would have to include DGBE, and whatever james hill uses, and then youve got open D, and it never ends hahaha.

but would someone like to come up with a general definition of the term "re-entrant tuning"?

Quote Originally Posted by NukeDOC View Post
    but would someone like to come up with a general definition of the term "re-entrant tuning"?
    Re-entrant Tuning: a tuning where the pitch of the strings are not in order from lowest to highest.

That's as simple as I can think of it, unless you would actually want to explain the order of the string pitches with actual uke tunings.
    - Chuck
    I spend too much time YouTubing.

Pretty much the only uke player that lives in Massachusettes...

How about adding a verbs section.
    Here's one to start it off:

To Deach: To be an all around amazing person, who selflessly gives to others.

Quote Originally Posted by SMillette92 View Post
    How about adding a verbs section.
    Here's one to start it off:

To Deach: To be an all around amazing person, who selflessly gives to others.
    haha, after seeing the discussion on the other thread i think that might be a good idea lol. and ya, thats true about things being subjective and stuff. never thought about it that way

fantastic work dude! I second that verb section or it could be a technique section?

words like hammer, pull-off, slide, bend, etc..

I realize those aren't ukesclusive, but we do use em. I think they would help.

How about theory terms? sharp, flat, minor, major, etc..? all these things give us more understanding, therefore making us better players.

sorry to be picky but technically the re-entrant tuning deffiniton is wrong because aren't the strings are in order but the first string is an octave higher than normal

Linear tuning (Low G tuning): A tuning were the strings are tuned from low to high of gcea

re-entrant tuning, (high G tuning): A tuning were the first string is one octave higher than in linear tuning.
    i love music of all sorts

Quote Originally Posted by ukeboypat View Post
    sorry to be picky but technically the re-entrant tuning deffiniton is wrong because aren't the strings are in order but the first string is an octave higher than normal

Linear tuning (Low G tuning): A tuning were the strings are tuned from low to high of gcea

re-entrant tuning, (high G tuning): A tuning were the first string is one octave higher than in linear tuning.
    yeah i like your definition of re-entrant. its more descriptive... except that it would be the last string or course. not the first hehe. im going to change it now. thanks!

my bad
    i always mess up the order of the strings
    i love music of all sorts

U.A.S n. Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome: syndrome in which ukulele enthusiast has steady desire to acquire new and or used ukuleles at all times of the day. Presently, there is no known cure.

I think this would go under a new section that should be called "Lifestyle". The term "Deach" belongs there too...

Also: To Get Your Jake On v. any uke performance that leaves onlookers in awe. Has been known to prompt the question "Hey, is that a tiny guitar and where do I get one?"
    Last edited by UKESTAR; 05-03-2008 at 02:09 PM.
    Where are the other two strings?

Quote Originally Posted by UKESTAR View Post
    U.A.S n. Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome: syndrome in which ukulele enthusiast has steady desire to acquire new and or used ukuleles at all times of the day. Presently, there is no known cure.

I think this would go under a new section that should be called "Lifestyle". The term "Deach" belongs there too...

Also: To Get Your Jake On v. any uke performance that leaves onlookers in awe. Has been known to prompt the question "Hey, is that a tiny guitar and where do I get one?"

haha so true!
    the other day someone asked, "hey! is that a mini guitar?" i answered then they asked "is it a violin??" hahaha
    that was a first

Thread Information