Which USB/Recorder Mic works very good for U

H2 seems to be the gold standard in the range. If you can wait a few days, I'm picking one up soon and will post a reveiw - but by all acounts you can't go wrong with the zoom.

I've had an H2 for over a year and have only one complaint--the mics will sometimes overload when recording a loud band. Other than that I think it's tough to beat, especially for the price. It's small, lightweight, versatile, simple to operate and produces high quality recordings that will please all but the most critical listener.

For more in-depth discussions visit the Zoom forum at http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/viewforum.php?f=15

Tom

H2 seems to be the gold standard in the range. If you can wait a few days, I'm picking one up soon and will post a reveiw - but by all acounts you can't go wrong with the zoom.

You're absolutely right, Coyote. I take my H2 when I travel and on a mic stand for all my vocals. You can plug it straight into the USB, run it on batteries or plug into the electric socket.

I also have an H2n which I use for recording instrumentals. I find it a bit too big to use as a vocal mic.

ive done a ton of research, and plumped for a H2 - ordered yesterday!

Picked up the Zoom H4n - works a like charm.

This is using it through USB right into my video input - no processing or effects. Note that YouTube degrades it considerably.

Here is a processed MP3 - five tracks, all recorded (ok, not the synth cello) via the Zoom in my livingroom - passed directly via USB into garageband. The levels are a little low, but that's because I'm a crappy sound engineer, not any fault of the recorder.

Can't reccomend the H4n enough.

Last edited:
My Zoom H2 arrived today, but home late so no proper chance to play with it. Initial impressions though:

- nice bundle in the box. Headphones, mem card, carry bag, stand, windshield, mic stand adapter, loadsa cables - well done zoom - many other makers would have charged me for each of these individually. My shop also bundled it with free silicone rubber shield and 4 gig card.

- build quality is not the greatest material - thank goodness for the rubber protector case i got - cheap plastic

- screen is so so tiny. I can read it, but it is verging on the ridiculous.

- quick sound sample of my own voice, and listen back on headphones - really very nice actually - cant wait to record some music!

- menus - many people have said they are confusing - ok, up down requires left and right buttons to be pressed, but the nested menu system makes perfect sense to me!

All in all, nice item - dead pleased with all the bits. My future Youtube vids (as linked in the vid section of this forum, are going to have their sound replaced with H2 recordings)

No prob.....Do you use the H4n for instrumentals because of the mics or because it's a 4 track?....Just curious to know if the mic quality is the same on the h2 vs. h4?

Thanks

I not really explored the 4 track capabilities yet.

I use this of recording instrumentals because

1. I can see the screen
2. I can use the onboard effects if I need to
3. It has better mics than the H2

The results on the H4n are slightly better, but it is barely detectable on YT. I think the sound quality is the same on the H4 as the H4n.

Ermm...

So ermm... I can't afford a proper mic, but my family has a USB mic from the Rockband video game which has worked great for me so far, but then again, I'm not recording anything fantastic either... Probably not what you're looking for at all, but I thought I'd share...

I use a Apex 181, it seems to work good, it was about 110$

I just use it for my instrumental stuff.
I'm not sure how good it is with vocals

i plug it directly into my computer and record through Audacity (it's a good free recording program)

I plug my uke into an amp and then set up the mic infront of the amp so it only get that sound

I think it's really good for it's price... some mics are pretty expensive

I just got an H2 for Christmas (Thanks, Mrs. RevWill!) and I love it.

Here's a quick recording (already posted in another thread). This is with the Mic Gain set on Medium, uke about 2.5 feet from the mic. All I have done to the track is edit off the noises at the beginning and end, and normalized the volume.

http://www.box.net/shared/cd13nk810b

As I mentioned a week ago, my son loaned me his H4n. My only problem with it is that the 100 page manual may as well be used as kindling. I finally figured out most of the functions on it by simply pushing buttons and seeing what happens. The sound is great. The 4 track feature is fun to play with, but I am not talented enough to need more than 2 tracks to record separately. Today, I was playing with all the electronic input filters to change the sound. Some of them make my little Flea sound like a funky electric. Cool! Its like a studio in your palm. If you have the bucks, I recommend it, but for most the H2 is probably all you will ever need at half the price, unless you want direct RCA input jacks and multi-tracks. From what I read, the H2 is much more intuitive to operate. Both operate as excellent USB microphones, but also stand alone digital recorders for home or gigs.

None of my sorry videos were made with this mic (yet), but it takes away the static and popping my webcam makes, and adds a lot more depth to the sound.

Last edited:
Top Bottom