QUESTION: Uke in mando tuning??

Valerie

Reaction score
So: How do you do it?

I would guess you grab a pack of low G strings
4th string G Tuned to--> G
3rd string C Tune to--> D (or 2nd string tuned down to D)
2nd string A (normally 1st string) Tuned to A
1st string ????

How do you get the first string in mando tuning? Do you simply tune it up (and if so: wouldn't that put a bit of strain on the neck?)

Or do you use a different pack of strings all together?

~Valerie

*heads desk*

Douh!

Forgot to try search first...

Haz, well.

Thanks for the links!

~Valerie

I asked a similar question a while back, and wise people here advised me to play my mandolin like a mandolin, and my uke like a uke. I took their advice and have been happy that I did. Each instrument has it's own charms.

I asked a similar question a while back, and wise people here advised me to play my mandolin like a mandolin, and my uke like a uke. I took their advice and have been happy that I did. Each instrument has it's own charms.

'Nuff said. :agree:

I have my uke currently tuned in fifths, so I can play it like a mando.

I replaced the G string with a wound string from an old Oud set, and tuned it to Eb. The C string is tuned down to Bb, the E string up to F, and the A string up to C, so the whole thing is Eb - Bb - F - C. I was concerned about tuning the A string up 3 semi-tones, but I've been playing it this way for a few weeks without trouble. If you put a capo on the 4th fret, the pitches are identical to the mandolin's.

You can see me playing it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlF2AAnWv8w

I put Aquila 5th tuning strings on my Flea, and I'm still a good person. It's just a tuning, folks.

I put Aquila 5th tuning strings on my Flea, and I'm still a good person. It's just a tuning, folks.

Sez you...

Nooooo! It's the work of the devil. You'll be playing it with a bow next.

Right.

I'm gonna tune my fiddle to GCEA and strum 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow' on it.

Top Bottom