Mike Ayers M2 Tenor

deach

Reaction score
Features

* What year was it made? Where was is made? 2009, I think. California
* How many frets? 19
* Solid-Top? Laminated top? Solid redwood
* Any pickups or electronics? nope
* Body and neck woods? back and sides - lacewood with inlays, neck mahogany with inlays. Cocobolo fretboard, headstock cap and bridge.
* Finish satin
* Body style Tenor
* Bridge style string-thru/bridge pins
* Tuners Grover open geared

Sound

* How does it suit your music style (and what is that style)? It's more mellow than koa but doesn't lack in volume
* What amps and effects are you using it with? n/a
* Is it noisy? On what settings? n/a
* Rich/Full sound? Bright sound? Full and rich. very balanced.

Action, Fit & Finish

* How well was the ukulele set-up at the factory? (How was the action?) Action starts low and moves up to med/low. it's very playable!
* Properly bookmatched top? yes
* Properly routed bridge? yes, very clean.
* Did the ukulele contain any flaws? (misaligned bracing, poorly filed fretwire, finish flaws, poor quality wood, rusted or oxidized hardware, loose tuning pegs, poorly cut nut, poorly fit saddle, noisy pickup selector, loose controls, etc...) I guess. It's a handmade piece so it's not perfect. Nothing detracts from the beauty, playability or sound of the uke though. The flaws add character.

Reliability/Durability

* Will this ukulele withstand live playing? I think so
* Does the hardware seem like it will last? Yes
* Is the finish good enough to last, or does it seem thin and easy to wear off with lots of playing? the satin finish is very nice. it deosn't seem over-finished and plasticy
* Can you depend on it? i think so
* Would you use it on a gig without a backup? probably

Customer Support

* If you've dealt with the company, how helpful/friendly were they? I bought the uke through Buffalo Brothers guitars. They seem like great people. They were quite friendly and took the time to answer all my questions as well as provide sound samples over the phone.
* Ever try and get it repaired? n/a
* Was it under warranty? n/a
* How long is the warranty not sure if there is one

Overall Rating

* How long have you been playing? 20 months
* What other gear do you own? too much
* Is there something you wish you had asked before buying this ukulele? if they could send me all 3 of them
* If it were stolen or lost, would you buy it again or get something else? I'd buy another in a heartbeat
* What do you love about it? beautiful woodwork, awesome sound, great playability
* What do you hate? that i don't have more of them......yet
* What is your favorite feature? hard o say. it's a very complete package.
* Did you compare it to other ukuleles? Which ones? no, pretty much blindly bought it
* Why did you choose this one? shore wuz purty
* Anything you wish it had? a case full of money
* Anything else you'd like to share? go buy one!

Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2958BLfdGA

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Also, the video on YouTube no worky!

Emily loves the ukes. She plays my Fluke with a slide. I'll make her into the next E G Kight.

Not sure why the vid isn't working for you, I have a few comments on it already.

Nothing wrong with the video, just no audio . . . OK disregard, had a case of the stoopids. I really like the deeper tones. Nice one, deach.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with the video, just no audio . . .
Try clicking on his profile then choose the video from the playlist in the bar on the right. I've been having some problems like this with YT lately and that seems to solve it.

That uke is so pretty! I love the color of the wood.

I got to your video directly on YouTube first--I saw that before I saw your review here.

That is such a lovely ukulele! The sound is so rich and sweet! It's soooo pretty too!

I thought you'd been playing for years and years!! Only 20 months?!

CountryMouse

Enjoyed the review. Beautiful uke w/cool wood combinations. Nice playing too.:)

I was interested in having a redwood top uke made, but was it was not recommended by the luthier.
Your redwood uke sounds and looks great. I may change my order.
Thanks.

Deach, funny I was going to buy that from Buffalo Brothers and the next day it had a hold sign on it. I'm glad you got it though could have not gone to a better dude. Merry Xmas

Deach, funny I was going to buy that from Buffalo Brothers and the next day it had a hold sign on it. I'm glad you got it though could have not gone to a better dude. Merry Xmas

Thanks! It was listed at a really great price!

It was priced really well and you can't deal with a better group of guys.

I tried to order from them once... They have a great selection and very knowledgable but shippig was prohibitive......

They wanted 50.00 to ship a soprano uke.... I canceled my order:eek:

Yeah but the best thing about BB is the fact that any time you can trade in your uke or what ever for what you paid for it even if you purchased it from them 20 yrs ago and in reasonable condition.

1BD72A21-63FA-47D0-B572-999F18BF9686.jpgE79BE900-303B-4EFB-8510-DD752523DD16.jpgI currently own the ukulele Mike Ayers M2 Tenor you’re talking about. Beautiful look and sound!! I love this little uke. Brought it in some funky music store in California and couple of years ago. It’s everything and more what this thread describes. If you look inside the sound hole you can see where Ayers signed it, very cool!

Last edited:
Top Bottom