List of movies with ukuleles in them

mds725

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Recently there was a thread about ukulele appearances in Pixar movies. Along the same lines, I just found this interesting list on amazon.com of 20 (non-Pixar) movies that feature characters who play the ukulele and I thought I'd share it.

http://www.amazon.com/Flicks-Ukes-Movies-Ukuleles/lm/R1S4U7SWCSWJN6

A few of the films are famous (Marilyn Monroe is an ukulele player in "Some Like It Hot," and Steve Martin "lip synchs" the ukulele in "The Jerk," for example), and Buster Keaton plays the ukulele in three of the listed films, but I'd forgotten that there's an ukulele player in Warren Beatty's "Reds" and that Mia Farrow's character in "The Purple Rose of Cairo" is an ukulele player. Interestingly, there are no George Formby movies listed. Anyway, I just thought it might be fun to have a look at this list, which is certainly not exhaustive. Any other movies with characters who play the ukulele worth mentioning?

"The Wild Hogs" should be added to that list. William H. Macy is one of four middle-aged men that head for the open road on motorcycles and cross paths with the "El Fuegos" biker gang. Peter Fonda makes an appearance in the end as "Blade", the legendary biker.

in the movie "Australia," when Hugh Jackman and Nicole Kidman are at the dance-thing, the band in the background has a ukulele player.

Monster's Inc.!

In the beginning in the scare simulator. Its on the shelf and get's knocked to the ground.

Don't forget all the Elvis Presley movies filmed in Hawai'i during the 60's, I grew up watching this stuff, and still enjoy it just to see the Hawai'i of my youth... nostalgia 2 da max fo' us ol' local futs.
elvis_presleyblue.jpg

Elvis plays one in Blue Hawaii at the 57 minute mark and 1:05 mark.

I don't know if it was the theatrical release or just the DVD, but there's a scene in the biopic "Ray" about Ray Charles where an ukulele player plays "Anytime" in the back of a bus.

the remake of 'the thing' when they all get out to the base they have a bit of a party, they play a couple of ukes at the party

I just posted a few weeks ago about "Go For Broke", the 1951 movie about Japanese-American GIs fighting in Europe in WWII. It featured a lot of uke playing and one Nisei soldier carrying his uke throughout the war. Great movie!

I believe Groucho Marx in "Monkey Business" plays a uke for a few moments in his cabin aboard the ship.

Tom Hanks in "Joe vs. the Volcano" Nice little song when he is floating on the raft.

I believe Groucho Marx in "Monkey Business" plays a uke for a few moments in his cabin aboard the ship.

That's funny, I know exactly the scene you mean (with Thelma Todd in her cabin), but it's a guitar, not a uke, that he plays. Groucho was actually a fairly skilled guitarist, but rarely played in his movies. He does actually manage to accompany himself on "Everyone Says I Love You" (sung to Thelma Todd, again!) in "Horsefeathers." He then apparently chucks his Gibson archtop in to the lake, but a closer view reveals it's a completely different prop guitar!

06726c0176d56053087c3e349bf028e4936e2db6.png

That's funny, I know exactly the scene you mean (with Thelma Todd in her cabin), but it's a guitar, not a uke, that he plays. Groucho was actually a fairly skilled guitarist, but rarely played in his movies. He does actually manage to accompany himself on "Everyone Says I Love You" (sung to Thelma Todd, again!) in "Horsefeathers." He then apparently chucks his Gibson archtop in to the lake, but a closer view reveals it's a completely different prop guitar!

06726c0176d56053087c3e349bf028e4936e2db6.png

I couldn't remember for sure if it was a guitar or a ukulele in the scene, but when I tried to find a clip of it I was unsuccessful. I did, however, find many references online to Groucho being a ukulele player. I believe all the brothers could play some guitar. Their stage act was originally more music than comedy, but the funny business caught on and soon overshadowed their music.

In "Walk The Line" Johnny and June are in a store, and I recall seeing a ukulele on the shelf. That's the only one I can recall at the moment.

"Just go with it" even has a cameo with Jake.

Shallow Hal. Towards the end. Local looking guy playing a Justin song

Top Bottom