List of movies with ukuleles in them

Some Like It Hot with Marilyn on uke...

uke-4.jpg

Sugar (Marilyn Monroe) thanking Jack Lemmon’s character “Daphne” for getting her out of a jam:

“If it wasn’t for you, they’d have kicked me off the train. I’d be out in the middle of nowhere, sitting on my ukulele.”

Daphne (Jack Lemmon in drag) says “Oh, it’s freezing outside! I mean, when I think about you… and your poor ukulele!”

Being that most of it was filmed in Hawai'i, I imagine (although I can't remember at the moment) that "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" has at least one ukulele in it. I know there are some on the soundtrack.

Great thread! Love this topic.

So, night before last I was watching "Thoroughly Modern Millie" with my 'ukulele on my lap, and in the very first scene, Beatrice Lillie kidnaps a woman playing a banjo 'uke! Okay, it was a banjo 'uke and not a dolphin, but still, it was a hoot. Didn't finish the movie and it's been a long time since I've seen it so I don't remember if there is any more 'uke in the movie.

Also, Gracie Allen plays the 'ukulele in the movie "Honolulu" with Eleanor Powell. She's fabulous! That was one of the scenes that inspired me to play.

Thanks,
Lily

It's not a character playing the ukulele, but Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy has two Uke moments:
One is at a shop where we see ukes in the window,
(edit: this was in The Artist, I am easily confused)
the other is a plot point where a George Formby song (Mr Wu's a Window Cleaner Now) is playing in the background of a phone call, and we then see someone else walk by humming the tune. The implication being that they were listening in on the call and got the tune stuck in their head.

Last edited:
I can offer you this one, with all the brothers "playing" banjos, from Duck Soup :)

duck-soup-2-copy.jpg

To me this has got to be about the funniest musical number of all time! It satirizes the musicals of that era like crazy!:biglaugh: But sadly, no ukes. :(

"Waikiki Wedding" from 1937, starring Bing Crosby. Very enjoyable, with classic songs like "Blue Hawaii", "Sweet Leilani", & "Little Hula Heaven".

Top Bottom