How good is a Makala Dolphin, really

kissing

Reaction score
I've been reading a lot of positive lovey-dovey comments about these ukes here lately. And here's my situation.

I'm going on a trip to Cambodia next week, where I will take my only decent quality GCEA-tuned acoustic soprano.
I intend to leave that uke behind in Cambodia to be used there by someone who needs it more.

I'm in love with electric ukes, and currently saving up for that uber steel-string Risa electric tenor.
But I still don't want to be without any acoustic ukes, preferably Soprano (my other acoustic uke is a Kala Archtop Tenor, which I have tuned in re-entrant DGBE, and I want to keep it that way.)

Being a student, saving up takes quite a long time.

Now here's my dilemma. Whatever uke I buy, it's going to be the one I'll be sticking with for a while as my primary acoustic part of the arsenal. My initial thoughts was to get the Kala KA-CE laminate mahogany concert (with pickup), which is around $200 including shipping. But this would be quite financially demanding for me :(

And so this is where these Makala Dolphin ukes catch my attention. A good sounding laminate uke that is also very affordable?
Sounds good to me :cool:

But I'm having doubts. For a uke I'll be using as my primary acoustic uke, will it measure up or leave me disappointed wishing I went with the more expensive KA-CE?

Sorry for having rambled so much to get to the point, but what I would like to know is:

How do the Makala Dolphins measure up against the more expensive laminate ukes, such as the ones offered by Kala?
Particularly in terms of sound projection, build quality (will it last?) and intonation.

I've had a bad history with other bottom-end cheap ukes... and the Dolphin looks a lot like my white Mahalo soprano which I do not like very much :(

Last edited:
I don't have the Kala to compare it with, but I've played a lot of Dolphins.

1. The Dolphin is sweet sounding. Not as loud as a Flea, but similar in tone. A Flea will project better.
2. If you buy from MGM, the intonation will be spot-on, and the Aquila strings bring out the best in it.
3. The build quality is fine. Brass frets, rosewood fingerboard. Very comfortable to play unless you really prefer a wider fretboard.
4. Paint might chip off the back and sides, as paint in general doesn't bind to plastic easily.

I'll try and post a quick sound comparison between the Flea and Dolphin in a couple of hours for you.

Last edited:
Thank you very much!
I've tried a Flea in a store before, so I'll be able to get some idea ^^

I was intending to get it from MGM :)

I have recently bought a dolphin and so far have been very happy with it. It stays in tune well and the tuning itself is good for a cheap uke. Could be louder if I were to find faults but it's neglegible.

Not really directed at you kissing, because you said you were going to get it from MGM. For other unsuspecting beginners though, I can't stress enough getting it from someone like MGM, UkeRepublic, or other dealer that includes a setup. I have played a few of these Dolphins (and other low-end ukes) in the store that were pretty bad (buzzes, bad intonation, etc) because the frets, saddle, or nuts were so far out of whack. I'd sure hate to be stuck in Cambodia with a poorly setup uke and without my tools. I would also make sure I changed the strings that came with it.

I got a little blue Dolphin as a gift recently, and after making some adjustments it plays OK for its size and considering it cost around $30. My Flea just looks and feels like a much better made instrument, and the volume, and intonation is of coruse better. Then again, it also cost 4 times as much. The Dolphin makes a great late night uke because I can play it at a much lower volume than my Flea when I want to. Mine is the plastic model by the way, and I think the wood model sounds better.

You might also consider something like a Lanikai LU-21. They get good reviews, and seem to play nice in the stores. Some folks don't really appreciate the unique look of the Dolphin, so if you are going to give it to someone in Cambodia the more conventional look might fit more situations.

Last edited:
Here you go.

http://www.box.net/shared/p5lh20bsgf

Let your ears be your guide. I recorded this with the Zoom H2. The only thing I did to the file was normalize it, bringing the volume of the whole file up to standard. No compression, reverb, equalization, volume boost within the file, or anything else added. Completely "dry."

One more thing, though. A couple of the dolphins I've tested have a bit of play in one of the geared tuners. If you buy one have MGM check out the tuning machines.

When I say, "back to the dolphin," I play the lick on the dolphin for a couple of seconds, then go back to the flea. Long pauses indicate changing ukes. The last uke is the Dolphin again.

Last edited:
Wow Will, I almost like the tone of your Dolphin better, but not sure I would say that without electronic normalization if that matters. I gotta get some Aquilas for my Dolphin! Fleas do have a distinctive sound all their own.

I will also say that my Flea is easier to play, but that is mostly because the fretboard is larger, and I have stubby fingers and the body is also bigger.

Last edited:
Well that's all the convincing I'll need :D
Thanks so much for your dedication to help me!

Now to pick a colour...

edit: Though do I need to wait for the newer plastic models in different colours to come out at MGM?

Last edited:

I've had a bad history with other bottom-end cheap ukes... and the Dolphin looks a lot like my white Mahalo soprano which I do not like very much :(
The Dolphin is so much nicer than the Mahalo but since you're used to playing nicer instruments, I'd go with a Fluke or Flea. As nice as the Dolphin is, you'll miss having something better.

Wow Will, I almost like the tone of your Dolphin better, but not sure I would say that without electronic normalization if that matters. I gotta get some Aquilas for my Dolphin! Fleas do have a distinctive sound all their own.

I will also say that my Flea is easier to play, but that is mostly because the fretboard is larger, and I have stubby fingers and the body is also bigger.

The normalization increased the volume of the file as a whole, preserving the volume ratio of the two ukes. It's just like turning up the volume to listen to the whole track.

Stop with all this dolphin talk, you guys are giving me UAS, lol.

If your UAS can be cured for ~$40 you're in pretty good shape, Melissa.

Mine is killing me right now. I have UAS pains for the new Kente Fluke and the Carbon Fiber tenor debuting this week. I have no idea how to break this news to wifey.

If your UAS can be cured for ~$40 you're in pretty good shape, Melissa.

Mine is killing me right now. I have UAS pains for the new Kente Fluke and the Carbon Fiber tenor debuting this week. I have no idea how to break this news to wifey.
You see... I just bought one and waiting for it to be shipped... so... you see what I mean? lol

The last Makala dolphin I bought was a bright blue wooden one for a special girl I know, I haven't bought one of the plastic models yet...I have successfully fought that branch of UAS so far, although Ukisociety seems to really like his. He does have a penchant for the plastic models...yes?!?
:music:

"I intend to leave that uke behind in Cambodia to be used there by someone who needs it more."

Sounds like an Aloha gift. I would go with a Flea or Fluke, a gig bag, a couple sets of strings and a tuning fork. Maybe a cord book too. The gift may become an heirloom within your Cambodian family. They will certainly remember your visit long after your departure.

The Dolphin is so much nicer than the Mahalo but since you're used to playing nicer instruments, I'd go with a Fluke or Flea. As nice as the Dolphin is, you'll miss having something better.
:agree:

That's the size of it.

Dolphins are great value, but in the real world there is a limit to what you can expect for peanuts, so Flea or Fluke may better suit someone who is used to a more expensive uke.

Dolphins hide their light under a bushel until you get Aquila strings on them.

I've never known one to buzz with the out of the box set-up once I fitted good strings, and I've had 3 myself, set a couple more up for friends and bought and set up another for my daughter.

Intonation does benefit from a tweak to the nut action. Once that is done, they play consistently in tune and with good intonation.

All mine have been the laminate type. Wish I could find the plastic ones in the UK :(

"I intend to leave that uke behind in Cambodia to be used there by someone who needs it more."

Sounds like an Aloha gift. I would go with a Flea or Fluke, a gig bag, a couple sets of strings and a tuning fork. Maybe a cord book too. The gift may become an heirloom within your Cambodian family. They will certainly remember your visit long after your departure.

Yes, extra strings would be a must in Cambodia. A tuning fork or a pitch pipe would be excellent, along with some beginner basic materials (a songbook, instructions on tuning and restringing, etc. You could purchase a beginner's book or print off some stuff that's available online for free).

Top Bottom