Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How good is a Makala Dolphin, really

Quote Originally Posted by SweetWaterBlue View Post
    Wow Will, I almost like the tone of your Dolphin better, but not sure I would say that without electronic normalization if that matters. I gotta get some Aquilas for my Dolphin! Fleas do have a distinctive sound all their own.

I will also say that my Flea is easier to play, but that is mostly because the fretboard is larger, and I have stubby fingers and the body is also bigger.
    The normalization increased the volume of the file as a whole, preserving the volume ratio of the two ukes. It's just like turning up the volume to listen to the whole track.

"Everything I do gonh be funky from now on" - Allen Toussaint.

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa82 View Post
    Stop with all this dolphin talk, you guys are giving me UAS, lol.
    If your UAS can be cured for ~$40 you're in pretty good shape, Melissa.

Mine is killing me right now. I have UAS pains for the new Kente Fluke and the Carbon Fiber tenor debuting this week. I have no idea how to break this news to wifey.

Quote Originally Posted by RevWill View Post
    If your UAS can be cured for ~$40 you're in pretty good shape, Melissa.

Mine is killing me right now. I have UAS pains for the new Kente Fluke and the Carbon Fiber tenor debuting this week. I have no idea how to break this news to wifey.
    You see... I just bought one and waiting for it to be shipped... so... you see what I mean? lol

You see... I just bought one and waiting for it to be shipped... so... you see what I mean? lol
    What color?

Quote Originally Posted by RevWill View Post
    What color?
    Not one of these, a Mainland.

Not one of these, a Mainland.
    Even better. I've been bogged down in paperwork these last couple of weeks and haven't had a chance to poho much. You'll love it!

The last Makala dolphin I bought was a bright blue wooden one for a special girl I know, I haven't bought one of the plastic models yet...I have successfully fought that branch of UAS so far, although Ukisociety seems to really like his. He does have a penchant for the plastic models...yes?!?

It's ouuurs, precious...It's our ukeses and we wants it, we needs it, we MUST haveses it! They might buyses it firsts, our ukeses in filthy, dirrty handses!

Fluke mango concert (Britney), Koa Pili Koko tenor (Beyonce), Melokia pineapple soprano (Miley), Kala kiwi soprano (Kylie), Brad D. superconcert (Fiona), Doane Clone baritone (Bjork), Cigar box tenor (Bonnie), Lanikai cedar deluxe concert (Katy)

"I intend to leave that uke behind in Cambodia to be used there by someone who needs it more."

Sounds like an Aloha gift. I would go with a Flea or Fluke, a gig bag, a couple sets of strings and a tuning fork. Maybe a cord book too. The gift may become an heirloom within your Cambodian family. They will certainly remember your visit long after your departure.
    Luna pineapple
    Pono PCES concert
    Kamaka tenor
    Kala KAA15 baritone
    Gibson Hummingbird

Molokai mo bettah

Quote Originally Posted by deach View Post
    The Dolphin is so much nicer than the Mahalo but since you're used to playing nicer instruments, I'd go with a Fluke or Flea. As nice as the Dolphin is, you'll miss having something better.

That's the size of it.

Dolphins are great value, but in the real world there is a limit to what you can expect for peanuts, so Flea or Fluke may better suit someone who is used to a more expensive uke.

Dolphins hide their light under a bushel until you get Aquila strings on them.

I've never known one to buzz with the out of the box set-up once I fitted good strings, and I've had 3 myself, set a couple more up for friends and bought and set up another for my daughter.

Intonation does benefit from a tweak to the nut action. Once that is done, they play consistently in tune and with good intonation.

All mine have been the laminate type. Wish I could find the plastic ones in the UK
    Rick

Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | Youtube | DailyMotion

And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no,
    And whether the skin be black or white as the snow,
    Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong,
    As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.

Quote Originally Posted by rreffner View Post
    "I intend to leave that uke behind in Cambodia to be used there by someone who needs it more."

Sounds like an Aloha gift. I would go with a Flea or Fluke, a gig bag, a couple sets of strings and a tuning fork. Maybe a cord book too. The gift may become an heirloom within your Cambodian family. They will certainly remember your visit long after your departure.
    Yes, extra strings would be a must in Cambodia. A tuning fork or a pitch pipe would be excellent, along with some beginner basic materials (a songbook, instructions on tuning and restringing, etc. You could purchase a beginner's book or print off some stuff that's available online for free).

Thread Information