Ordered a custom fluke today!

devilishlypure

Reaction score
For the past few months, I've been obsessing over everything I can find on the Fluke online, trying to decide which options to pick and whatnot. I even went to CT over Thanksgiving break on my way to visit my family and visited the Magic Fluke factory to try out some seconds and see all of the options in person! Today, I finally placed the order for my custom concert Fluke!

My friend Karen Kavett designed this, and they're printing a decal of it to put onto the soundboard.

flukelovecymk-2.jpg

I'm adding the new geared peghed tuners, with the B-Band undersaddle pickup option (w/ volume control and preamp). Keeping the molded polycarbonate fretboard because I liked the way it felt when I played it and I'm going to be touring with this thing so I need all the durability I can get.

It's going to be a few weeks before it comes in, but I wanted to share this with you guys because I'm super excited. :D

Last edited:
that decal is SWEET!

post pictures when you get it, it looks like it's going to be awesome!

That is so cool! Post pics when the real thing comes in!

This one will look awesome!

that looks awesome, make sure you share some pics when it arrives! I too have been keen on ordering a fluke (the surf model looks most likely), what's your opinion on the pickup options?

Sweet!

I didn't know they did customs. Mind if I ask how much?

When I initially emailed them, they said that the custom decal would cost $89 in addition to the rest of the fluke. Though, since there would be a blank soundboard underneath it, I'm assuming that the fluke itself would cost a bit less than the natural one on their website. I'm waiting back for my official price quote though, since Beth had to check with Dale on how much he was charging. I'll let you know how much it ended up being once I find out! :)

that looks awesome, make sure you share some pics when it arrives! I too have been keen on ordering a fluke (the surf model looks most likely), what's your opinion on the pickup options?

I have a Kala Lacewood Tenor with a passive pickup (not sure on the brand though) and I like it, so I wasn't sure at first if I would go with the passive or the active pickup for my Fluke at first. I don't know very much about the different options, but I ended up going with the better one because I'm going to be using this uke at hundreds of shows over the next few years and Dale said that there was a huge difference in quality with the more expensive option. My boyfriend, who tours with me, agreed that if I'm going to splurge on anything, a really good pickup with the option to adjust the volume is worth it. My knowledge still remains limited, unfortunately. I'll let you know if I like it when I get it, if that would help! :)

Sweet! Custom design is enough to make me consider a Fluke!

That's what did it for me! I already loved the sound and shape of the Fluke, and the durability and option for a pickup were huge factors, but I wasn't sold on any of the soundboard design options (aside from the Camp Flea, which I will probably get someday but I prefer the sound and shape of the Fluke) until I heard that I could have my own designed.

WOW that is extremely cool, can't wait to see a review and hear a sound bite.

Cool design! I think you made the right call with the pickup. Active and undersaddle should be good for touring.

I have a Kala Lacewood Tenor with a passive pickup (not sure on the brand though) and I like it, so I wasn't sure at first if I would go with the passive or the active pickup for my Fluke at first. I don't know very much about the different options, but I ended up going with the better one because I'm going to be using this uke at hundreds of shows over the next few years and Dale said that there was a huge difference in quality with the more expensive option. My boyfriend, who tours with me, agreed that if I'm going to splurge on anything, a really good pickup with the option to adjust the volume is worth it. My knowledge still remains limited, unfortunately. I'll let you know if I like it when I get it, if that would help! :)

Thanks for that, it seems you're along the same lines of thinking as me. The downside for me though is the exchange rate - it's quite an expensive step up, so I'd rather be sure that it's worth it. Otherwise I could retro-fit a pickup of my choosing... I'm sure you'll make a mention of it when you share the pics! Thanks again :)

it's cool that you got to go to the fluke factory. I live in CT and that sounds like something I'd definitely want to do someday.

That's cool. The wait is the hard part.

Yesterday I ordered another fluke. It's going to be a lava tenor with rosewood fretboard and a mi-si pickup. I can't wait to get it and plug it in. My family will be so pleased.

Top Bottom