Deciding on a Concert Hard Case

Expired

Reaction score
My price cap is $125. I'm looking for a form fitting case(not a rectangular one) that has a really plush interior with an accessory compartment. Preferably with a built in Hygrometer and Thermometer.

I'm currently looking at..
Kala Tweed
Bushman Tweed
Kala Uke Crazy Black

I can't find any high res pictures of the cases to really examine them, and was hoping someone could help.
It would also be great if you could recommend other high quality cases.

Thanks!

EDIT:
Alright, I've been looking and it seems like the highest quality ones I can find(I think I'm going with tweed), are Kala and Bushman cases.
Here are some more pictures.

Kala
Image 1

Bushman
Image 1
Image 2
Image 3
Image 4

Last edited:
I was just trying to make the same decision and ended up getting a tweed one from a seller on eBay. I'm not sure if it is a Kala, a Bushman or a knock off case (which probably means it is a knock off for sure!), but it fit the price point ($45) and should be good enough for keeping my kids and cats off of my new uke. Here is another one by the same seller. I'll report back on the quality after I get it next week.
http://bit.ly/5uTHeF

Cheers! Josh

Ya, that one popped up in a lot of searches. The lining seems a bit shoddy around the edges. Not a fan of the thick pleather either, takes your focus away from the tweed. Also don't like that it only has two clasps..
Other than that, it looks pretty nice.

I just bought a concert Ko'olau case from my local ukulele shop for $85. It also happened to be the only case that fit my concert ukulele without being able to move around inside the case. I have a Pono Tenor, which came with a Ko'olau case and I can attest to the Ko'olau case's quality and think it was worth the price. I was pulling my tenor out of the trunk of my car one day and the trunk lid came down right on the case - YIKES! - no damage to either ukulele or case. I am sure that if it had been my Lanikai in its gig bag I would have had kindling.

From Mike DaSilva's site; there are two other cases you can view.

Hard shell, black rubber covering
BlackRubber-525.jpg

MGM has cases from Freemont and Kiwaya

Looking for a tweed case, since almost everything I own is black. I feel like changing it up a little.
Some info I received from emailing Kala and calling Bushman. (Great people to deal with)

Kala
1. Are the handle and piping made of real leather? No.
2. Is the piping glued or stitched on? There is a stitch but primary fastening is glue.
3. How do the two latches hold up, is there any movement in the lid? Latches hold very well. Lid does not move.
4. Why did you switch from three latches to two? Photo is of our first sample. Cases that we are shipping actually have 3 latches.
5. What is the shoulder strap made of, and is it adjustable? Adjustable, Black Nylon.
There is a built in hygrometer.

Bushman
1. Are the handle and piping made of real leather? Yes.
2. Is the piping glued or stitched on? It is mainly glued, but there is a small stitch. We are working with a company right now and should have genuine stitching available on March 1st.
3. Is there a built in hygrometer? There is no hygrometer.
3. Is there anything else I should know? We use real tweed whereas other companies use a plastic lookalike. Unlike other companies we also have foam padding under our plush lining for better protection. There is an accessories compartment above where the neck rests for your tuner, picks, and other things.

I think I'm going to get a Kala case for now, and wait until march 1st to get a Bushman. Then compare the two and decide which I like best.
I have high res photos of the Kala case if anyone wants to see them. (Thanks to phil at kala)

Last edited:
I can only comment on UK, but I would have thought that your budget gave you LOADS of options. My UK Mainland was bought from the brilliant Eagle Music, and I bought it with a "Leader" hard case for only £40. Tough, well made, compartment, very plush inside - great stuff!

I bought the Kala Black Hard Case BCT for my tenor. I love it.. very plush and very well made. Has three good latches on the case. However, I don'g think any of the Uke Crazy's have built in hygrometers.. but one can be had an put in the storace compartment inside.

I don'g think any of the Uke Crazy's have built in hygrometers.. but one can be had an put in the storace compartment inside.

So keeping the hygrometer in the compartment should still yield an accurate reading for the rest of the body?

Ya, that one popped up in a lot of searches. The lining seems a bit shoddy around the edges. Not a fan of the thick pleather either, takes your focus away from the tweed. Also don't like that it only has two clasps..
Other than that, it looks pretty nice.

FYI, I did get this case yesterday. It will certainly meet my needs. The tweed is pretty thin and looks like it could tear/fray pretty easily, and the plush lining could have seperation issues down the line. It certainly fits my Kala concert snugly. But it is hard and will protect the instrument, which is all I'm concerned with. And at half the price of the other named tweed cases, it is a good option IMHO. Cheers!

Top Bottom