Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: any SoCal Mya-Moe super soprano owners out there?

Default any SoCal Mya-Moe super soprano owners out there?

Aloha UUers! After lots of consideration, Mya-Moe has made it to the top of the list of candidates for my longneck soprano uke... but I'm still a little hesitant about the whole "unknown factor" of buying a uke that you can't try out in a shop before committing to it.

So... are there any Mya-Moe super soprano owners here in Southern California who would be willing to meet up so I can give yours a test-drive? I've already had the privilege of trying a M-M concert resonator, and while I LOVED it, it's a bit of a different animal than what I'm looking at. (Here's what I'm leaning toward.)

I'm in Santa Monica but will gladly travel for this scouting mission.

Mahalo!
    Kamaka ukuleles, Martin strings. Just keeping things simple.

I'm not in SoCal, but I do own one, and I don't think you'll regret it.
    * Mom-Painted Flea * Half-Vintage, Half-Bean Sprout banjolele * Woody's Roundup Toy "Guitar" *

I have a myrtle concert, Jane. If that would help, send me a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Chap View Post
    I'm not in SoCal, but I do own one, and I don't think you'll regret it.
    I should clarify - the only concern I have about regretting it is that I'm going to find the concert neck too big for some of the 5-fret first-position stretches I do... which I can do on my soprano but not my Kamaka concert, or the Koaloha longneck soprano I recently road-tested.

Any chance you happen to have either of those and can comment about how the M-M feels in comparison?

Jane, I have a MM super soprano. While I can't help you try it out (unless a trip to Wisconsin is in your plans), I can perhaps help in another way. I also have small hands, so if you are unable to try one in person, send me what finger positions you want to test, and I will take pics of my hands doing those (or attempting to). Or we could Skype if that would be easier for you. That might at least give you an idea.
    Currently in the house:
    2 Kamaka sopranos
    Mya Moe Super Soprano
    Hibiscus Flea
    Really beautiful Moore Bettah Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by Canoe Lady View Post
    Jane, I have a MM super soprano. While I can't help you try it out (unless a trip to Wisconsin is in your plans), I can perhaps help in another way. I also have small hands, so if you are unable to try one in person, send me what finger positions you want to test, and I will take pics of my hands doing those (or attempting to). Or we could Skype if that would be easier for you. That might at least give you an idea.
    Hey thanks! The two things I keep running into that I can't do on concert-scale ukes are pulloffs/hammer-ons from the 5th to the 1st fret, and the first-position Bb with my pinky on the 5th fret/first string (I'm not even sure what that chord is - I think it's still Bb - but I use it a lot). If you can try those out for me that would be great!

Hey Jane, I am not that great with hammer ons and pull offs, so the Bb will have to do. I was able to reach the 5th fret with my pinky. I have included a photo of that. I also included photos of the frets of a Kamaka soprano next to the frets of the Mya Moe Super Soprano so you can see the differences. I hope that helps some. Let me know if you can think of anything else.
    Diane

Currently in the house:
    2 Kamaka sopranos
    Mya Moe Super Soprano
    Hibiscus Flea

Thank you so much Diane, this is really helpful! Your Bb-with-pinky-on-5th looks a lot like mine - just *barely* able to get past that fret. But it looks manageable. I did find out that the Mya-Moe super soprano scale length is 1/4" shorter than my Kamaka concert, which may be just enough to make that reach easier.

Let me know if you can think of anything else.
    Well, I would *love* to see a shot of your Mya-Moe - the whole thing Looks like a real beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by janeray1940 View Post
    Thank you so much Diane, this is really helpful! Your Bb-with-pinky-on-5th looks a lot like mine - just *barely* able to get past that fret. But it looks manageable. I did find out that the Mya-Moe super soprano scale length is 1/4" shorter than my Kamaka concert, which may be just enough to make that reach easier.

Well, I would *love* to see a shot of your Mya-Moe - the whole thing Looks like a real beauty.
    I was actually surprised on how hard that stretch actually was. It didn't sound like a tough stretch until I tried it. Glad that helped.

You can see pics of the Mya Moe in this thread:
    http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/fo...ano-lt-SOLD-gt

I got it from Eugene Ukulele several months ago. Mojo included.
    Currently in the house:
    2 Kamaka sopranos
    Mya Moe Super Soprano
    Hibiscus Flea

I was actually surprised on how hard that stretch actually was. It didn't sound like a tough stretch until I tried it. Glad that helped.

You can see pics of the Mya Moe in this thread:
    http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/fo...ano-lt-SOLD-gt

I got it from Eugene Ukulele several months ago. Mojo included.
    Ohhhhhh what a gorgeous uke, and you got the mojo as part of the deal! Nice

Thanks for the link, and again for the pictures. I am thisclose to pulling out my credit card and handing my down payment over to the Mya-Moe folks. Must... use... self... control...

Thread Information