The No Copyright Claim Cover Campaign

i'm not sure if this thing is still going on, but here's my cover of DearOldNutjob's "High Dive":

thanks for watching!

The campaign is never-ending, my friend! Thanks!

Some great music here, but I am confused as to the purpose of the protest. Seems to me that contributors are exercising (assuming the authors have granted permission to use the songs) a perfectly legal use of copyrighted music.

Failing to get permission simply exposes the copyright infringer to liability from the song's author. How exactly does this "stick it to the man?"

Some great music here, but I am confused as to the purpose of the protest. Seems to me that contributors are exercising (assuming the authors have granted permission to use the songs) a perfectly legal use of copyrighted music.

Failing to get permission simply exposes the copyright infringer to liability from the song's author. How exactly does this "stick it to the man?"

Did you read the original post?

If nothing else, it demonstrates that there are still some songwriters who care about the music and who do not want heavy-handed killjoys intervening to ruin harmless, non-commercial fun enjoyment of music. These people want their songs shared and performed. They want people to enjoy their music.

Some people realise that a not-for-sale, done-for-fun 'ukulele cover is absolutely no realistic threat to the owners of the publishing, recording or performance rights.

Raise a hand if any YouTube 'ukulele cover has done anything to lessen the chances of you buying original artists/songwriters CDs, songbooks or gig tickets? Seriously, pipe up. These covers are not a threat in any world but the irrational, paranoid fantasy of people who can't see beyond a chequebook.

I have nothing but respect for everyone who enters into the spirit of this subtle and gentle campaign. I have no respect for people who have nothing better to do with their time and money than to trawl through YouTube in the hope of slapping down some poor uke-wielding kid who wants to show off the song she just learned.

I think the point here is perfectly clear. That said, I'm sure music publishers will miss that point entirely, because it is subtle and doesn't have a price tag attached.

Think of it as a project then oldrookie.

Possilby posting wrongly but would really like to put one of my songs forward, I've been thinking lately I'd love to hear a song I wrote on guitar with a ukulele feel to it. So if anyones up to redoing it as a ukulele number I'd be chuffed to hear it... the lyrics are just meant for fun and are not intended to offend so please don't take them as anything else but if you are offended by rugby songs and the like, skip it.

Video and lyrics/chords below:

Ode to a Lesbian Seagull

Em7 Cadd9 Unknown Chord
Spread your, leisure
Spread your, Verge of life
Spread it, across my hedge
.... Lesbian Seagull

G6 Cmaj7
You fly, Wind in your hair
You have, No
Dictaphone, Recording your life
.... Lesbian Seagull

Em7 Cadd9 Unknown Chord
Eat out, Carpet tastes good
Long beak, Bet it feels good
To be you, Mmmm yeah
.... Lesbian Seagull

G6 Cmaj7
Taste that, Fish in your mouth
Greasey, Slippery feel

Em7 Cadd9 Em7
No chips, I don't think I can take them no more.
CARRR

(good site for getting ukulele chord shapes - http://www.ezfolk.com/uke/chords/Bb_Major/bb_major.html)

Guitar chords for reference....
Em7 / Cadd9 / Unknown Chord
e 0 / 0 / 0
B 3 / 3 / 5
G 0 / 0 / 0
D 2 / 2 / 4
A 2 / 3 / 5
E 0 / x / x

Chorus
G6 / Cmaj7
e 0 / 0
B 0 / 0
G 0 / 0
D 5 / 10
A 5 / 10
E 3 / 8

It's obviously inspired by Engelbert Humperdinck's Lesbian Seagull but apart from the subject matter bares no relevance to it.... oh apart from a Kar at the end as homage ;)

Last edited:
I wanted to put something into this as well:

My cover of:
Seeso and DPG35000 - stay up stay lifted

hope you like it!

Having to remove the majority of my vids recently I'm all down with this.

My channel is youtube.com/howlinhobbit

You can find a number of my tunes all duded up with ukulele chords here:

http://www.howlinhobbit.com/blog/pivot/tags.php?tag=songsheets

(...and more on the way!)

Since I've released these under the Creative Commons BY-SA-NC license, you don't even have to ask my permission, it's already given.

(Don't Eat That Mayonnaise) Straight from the Jar

I missed doing this on the anniversary date of its YouTube debut, but here is my cover of Mary-Anne's immortal classic!

So...do I look like a jar of Hellmann's mayonnaise? I tried. :)

CountryMouse

I like this campaign because all the innocent are harmed by these copyright claims. An idea came to my mind that I'm shooting into the mist. It might be too much work though but what if we did one of those mega collab things where we play one of the anti warner songs! That would be "YouTubers Uniting" for sure!

I also found this neat little list of artists who have work produced by WMG. That way, you can check and if they're not on the list cover away!

Last edited:
I like this campaign because all the innocent are harmed by these copyright claims. An idea came to my mind that I'm shooting into the mist. It might be too much work though but what if we did one of those mega collab things where we play one of the anti warner songs! That would be "YouTubers Uniting" for sure!

I also found this neat little list of artists who have work produced by WMG. That way, you can check and if they're not on the list cover away!
you say that you like the campaign because the innocent are harmed by the copyright claims, which one i wonder? sorry for being straightforward?

Top Bottom