The No Copyright Claim Cover Campaign

I think the author should definitely be credited - that is only right, but after thinking about Fair Use and copyright law some more today, I think asking permission does go against the strong legal argument that a cover for non-profit comes under the Fair Use laws and is unnecessary, and for the most part impossible (for an amateur) with songs controlled by the likes of WMG. Of course if you want to ask, its a nice gesture. I consider people here on UU my friends, after all.

your call señor sesso. i'll submit what i've already done and will start on some new ones.

Let's just go ahead and say the video must be done with the campaign in mind.

great idea, seeso!

btw, does "elephant town" count?

See above. If you cover Elephant Town with this campaign in mind, it'll count for both of them.

I have a few original songs on my channel (shas1814)
and they are available for anyone here to cover.
I think they all have lyrics posted
and most of them have the chords as well.
Shas

This is an awesome idea, Seeso! I'm gonna get working on this. :)

If anyone wants to cover any of my original songs, almost all of the chords are up on my website right here.

Oh, now I so have to learn to play Guacamole Ukuleles!!! That song is responsible for getting me into ukes. I discovered it sometime last year, and just kept watching it. I could not get it out of my head, and thought, "What a cool instrument the ukulele is." One thing led to another and here I am 3 ukuleles later. I just have to transpose your key of D baritone chords to G, figure out what to do with a G5 and off I go. Just got permission from Shas to do one of his too, so I will be busy.

Oh, now I so have to learn to play Guacamole Ukuleles!!! That song is responsible for getting me into ukes. I discovered it sometime last year, and just kept watching it. I could not get it out of my head, and thought, "What a cool instrument the ukulele is." One thing led to another and here I am 3 ukuleles later. I just have to transpose your key of D baritone chords to G, figure out what to do with a G5 and off I go. Just got permission from Shas to do one of his too, so I will be busy.

I haven't even figured out how to play it in GCEA tuning yet, heh. Sorry I'm not much help there. That's so exciting though... I'm so glad that you like the song and I can't wait to hear your cover! :D

Seeso, this is an amazing concept, though I think it will go unnoticed by the Music Industrial Complex. Maybe it should be called "The Ukulele Underground Deaf Ears Project." To be most a effective point-maker though, I think it should be done without the copyright holder's permission. (For the record, my own feeling on this whole thing is that YouTube and the "Industry" have every right to take down songs in violation of copyright laws, as dopey as that is.)

I'm looking forward to the covers. Keeps the creative juices flowing. Seeso rocks!

I already did this cover of a song by a YouTube friend of mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCUUR73HhdE

But I plan on doing a cover by one of our UU folks. :)

Ooo ooo and "Elephant Town"! Maybe Cat'r and I will do that together when his ukulele comes in later this week!

Great idea, Seeso!!

CountryMouse

Last edited:
Top Bottom