What uke/ukes did George Harrison Play?

Well George actually owned two of George Formby's banjo ukuleles as he was a huge fan and a member of the George Formby Society (as I am). He owned Formby's Ludwig (with Crowns) Banjo Uke which was Nickel Plated and his Dallas Model 'E' which was Gold Plated and is now in The Beatles museum. I've seen a clip of him on YouTube with Jeff Lynne playing banjo ukes, including a Gibson UB2 De-Luxe, so I suspect he owned others.

George's Dallas E (Beatles Museum).jpg
The Dallas Model 'E' in The Beatles Museum
vlcsnap-2014-06-23-14h20m43s52.jpg
George Formby's Ludwig that George Harrison later owned (can't find any pictures of it now)
George-uke-Harrison.jpg
George Harrison at The George Formby Society in Blackpool - that might be George Formby's Ludwig he has.

Luved this entire thread! Thanks for the great info! Didn't John Lennon's mother, Julia play the banjo uke?

Petey

Luved this entire thread! Thanks for the great info! Didn't John Lennon's mother, Julia play the banjo uke?

Petey

I think it was the banjo, actually. I recall reading that when John first started playing guitar he used banjo chord shapes rather than guitar chord shapes.

I think it was the banjo, actually. I recall reading that when John first started playing guitar he used banjo chord shapes rather than guitar chord shapes.

It's strange to imagine banjo music in England back then. I know nothing about it.

I did buy the Blu-ray of "Living in the Material World" about George and that was great. It's so funny, that clip with Tom Petty who said, George just kept giving out ukes out of the trunk of his car... you always need more than one. What uke player can argue with that? hehe

Petey

It's strange to imagine banjo music in England back then. I know nothing about it.

I did buy the Blu-ray of "Living in the Material World" about George and that was great. It's so funny, that clip with Tom Petty who said, George just kept giving out ukes out of the trunk of his car... you always need more than one. What uke player can argue with that? hehe

Petey

"Banjo music" and "England" don't automatically go together in my mind either, but what do I know? :)

George and the handing out of ukes is the stuff of legends! At the shop where I play here in Santa Monica, the story goes that whenever he was in the area, he'd stop in and buy all of their Kamakas off the walls, to hand out to friends.

The reso laying on the floor back on the first clip was made hy my friend Alan at Northworthy instruments in Derbyshire, UK. He was more than a little surprised when George turned up at his workshop in person! He brought a vintage uke that he wanted copying, and of course, Alan had to make him two!

I don't remember banjos playing a very prominent role in UK music in the late '50's - early '60's ... more likely to have been found in a folk-setting than main-line entertainment or pop music. Shirley Collins used one to good effect on some of her early recordings. Just backing chords with a pick-strum type rhythm, possibly Pete Seeger inspired, but quite different for the time :)

Thank you so much for resurrected this thread, very enjoyable reading, viewing and listening

It really depends on the kind of banjo that he played. 5-strings were extremely popular in England from 1890 to 1920 or so. Then the tenor banjo was incredibly popular. It wouldn't be unheard of to have one of those banjos just laying around in one's closet.

I don't remember banjos playing a very prominent role in UK music in the late '50's - early '60's ... more likely to have been found in a folk-setting than main-line entertainment or pop music. Shirley Collins used one to good effect on some of her early recordings. Just backing chords with a pick-strum type rhythm, possibly Pete Seeger inspired, but quite different for the time :)

John's mother Julia did teach Lennon his first chords. http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/348593/The-curious-tale-of-John-Lennon-s-missing-3m-banjo

There's a short clip floating around (which I can't locate right now) of George playing his banjo uke (Ludwig?) at an annual George Formby convention.
I chatted briefly with his son Dhani about George's ukes after one of Dhani's concerts and he said that he didin't know how many ukes his dad had, but there were a lot. That he loved Kamakas, his favorite was a concert and that they were all over the house.
If you've seen a picture of the Harrison house, Friar Park, you know that there are at least 50+/- (?) rooms which ='s a whole lot of ukes.
As George said to Tom Petty ".................you can't have enough ukuleles".

Last edited:
Very Cool!

In listening to the live cut (great to watch him play), I also found a studio YT post where the 6 string is more easily heard. Here are both:

Old thread, but what is the uke shown in the 2nd video? Is that a Kamaka concert with the crown headstock? I've seen his Kamaka concert with wave headstock in other videos.

There's a short clip floating around (which I can't locate right now) of George playing his banjo uke (Ludwig?) at an annual George Fromby convention.

Here's George playing a banjo uke with Jeff Lynne.

Great video pf George with Jeff Lynne.

I know I'm not dreaming this. Years ago, I found a YouTube audio segment of George appearing at some Ukulele conference somewhere in the world, early on in his ukulele fascination. He sounds very humble discussing his uke playing and then proceeds to play a song that I can't remember.

I wish I could find it again, but I'm glad to have that Jeff Lynne video to hold its place for now.

Great video pf George with Jeff Lynne.

I know I'm not dreaming this. Years ago, I found a YouTube audio segment of George appearing at some Ukulele conference somewhere in the world, early on in his ukulele fascination. He sounds very humble discussing his uke playing and then proceeds to play a song that I can't remember.

I wish I could find it again, but I'm glad to have that Jeff Lynne video to hold its place for now.

Yes! That's the video of George at the Formby convention. I can't find it either.

Last edited:
Yes! That's the video of George at the Fromby convention. I can't find it either.

Oh, sorry! I did something I don't like when others do. I replied to a thread before reading all the posts.

Anyway, yeah...where did that YouTube video go? If i remember right, it was only audio with, perhaps, a still of George on screen the entire time.

Could you edit the post to read "thats the video of George at the F......by Convention" ...Don't look up the word unless you want to be annoyed.

Oh man, that's hilarious! I noticed the typo right away, but didn't know the word has a meaning in the Urban Dictionary!

Top Bottom