Tamaine Ukulele

d'uke

Reaction score
I was wandering around on the internet the other day and found a solid Tamaine wood ukulele.
I've never heard of this wood and im kinda skeptical of its quality because of its $175.00 price tag.
It is a real eye-catcher and its reasonably priced and i wouldnt mind picking one up but i was wondering if anyone has heard of this wood or even has a ukulele made of it and has some words of wisdom for me!

http://www.globalcreationscart.com/soprano-ukulele-tamarine1.html

It's actually called Tamarind. The wood is awesome looking. The seed pods from the tree have a sweet/sour pulp used in Indian and SE Asian cooking. These 'ukuleles are made by Emil Bader dba S&J Craft. He is a local Hawai'i luthier and he makes very nice 'ukulele at reasonable cost. I own 3 of his 'ukuleles and for the price can't be beat for a handmade Hawaiian 'ukulele. I believe Global creations is all out and has them on back order. Here's a sample of his work from the recent UGH show in Waikiki back on November:
P1010307.jpg

P1010287.jpg

I'm getting dns failures at this site... is this link still active?
The site was accessible last night. You can give them a call @ 808-637-1780.

I picked one out yesterday and ordered it by phone today. I am not sure what is wrong with their website. It was working last night. I emailed them and told them what I was interested in. Within 10 minutes I had received pictures of 2 concerts and three long neck pineapples from which to pick. I chose a mango pineapple. 210 for the uke, 68 for a matching protec case, 30 bucks shipping to South Carolina. They were the nicest people in the world to deal with! email address is

gchawaii@gmail.com

The people I am dealing with are Sue and Johnette. THey only ship on Thursdays. So---Mine should arrive next THursday. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

The one on the left is mine.

Here are the other concerts they have in stock.

Last edited:
yes the wood is BEAUTIFUL!
do you happen to know any of the tonal properties of the wood?

I personally have never played any of S&J's Tamarind wood 'ukuleles so can't say but the specific gravity of Tamarind wood compares with Rosewood so I would guess the tonal qualities to be similar.

I wish they would update their website more regularly, only one of all the 'ukuleles shown is indicated as being in stock (Milo tenor). Obviously they have 'ukuleles available that are not listed, and they should mention that fact.
They state "each and every one of our beautiful Hawaiian Ukuleles are entirely handmade in Hawaii on the North Shore of the island of Oahu by master Ukulele maker, Mr. Emil Bader. They are actually made in Mr. Bader's shop in Kalihi Valley, Honolulu. Don't go looking for him on the North Shore.

Has he started making instruments with more than 12 frets? I can't tell from the smaller pictures, but I'm counting 17 on Ahnko Honu's pics.

I can't tell if that's good or bad, but I feel a twinge in my UAS bone....

Just contact them on the contact link on their site and tell them what you are interested in and they will send pictures of everything they have. I had pictures of the mango concerts in less than 10 minutes.

Has he started making instruments with more than 12 frets? I can't tell from the smaller pictures, but I'm counting 17 on Ahnko Honu's pics.

I can't tell if that's good or bad, but I feel a twinge in my UAS bone....

My concert has 14.

Love the look of the wood. How does it sound as compared to Koa and Mahogany wood?

You will not be disappointed. I wanted a Tamarind uke as well, so beautiful, but ended up with Milo instead. The S & J Craft Milo concert I have is the best sounding ukulele I have ever played. It is LOUD, louder than both of my tenors. Whenever I bring it places everyone wants to play it and no one wants to give it back. See pics on this thread:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...ew-S-J-Crafts-Milo-and-Lychee-Concert-Ukulele

I am getting another ukulele from Mr. Bader very soon, perhaps a Tamarind.

Last edited:
Mine was suppose to come today......not here yet. MAYBE TOMORROW! SUSPENSE..........................................

Did you see the dark mango pineapple on the website? It was almost completely black! I hate I missed that one. I can just see some rich tourist buying it as a wall hanger.

Top Bottom