Airline rules and the ukulele

I've flown with my tenor in a hard case many times on several different airlines and have never once had a problem but I believe that's up to me not them and I've posted this before a couple of years ago. Do yourself a favour and use the following formula;
1) dress sharply ( sharply dressed people get what they want ! The best jobs, the best table in a restaurant , the best room at the hotel. Just ask ZZ Top , Every girls crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man !
2) do not have another carry on , I don't care if you think the rules say you can . I carry my Uke and a small man purse with just the essentials. If you do this you make it easy for them and thusly you get want you want , if you're lugging along an overstuffed carry-on along with your Uke , you will run into a grumpy Gus eventually and have an issue. Make it easy for them to give you what you want !
3) best manners ( you should always use these anyway but politeness goes along way.
4) be confident ( asking if you CAN take it might spur someone to measure it, instead use your best posture , stand straight and tall and walk with confidence, smile, hold the door for someone but above all ACT like you've been there before.

As I said I've flown with mine maybe 20 times. United, Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, Westjet, Delta and never had a problem.

Reviving a thread...anyone travel on Spirit? I'm taking Spirit in three weeks to Tampa and have to figure out if I can bring my Outdoor Ukulele Tenor for the convention or if I have to ask a Tampa resident to borrow a ukulele for a presentation. I'm already limited to a single carry-on bag, but at the same time, it is $70 to travel round trip from MN to Tampa and back again.

My guess is that they would charge you for another bag...UNLESS you can fit it *mostly* into your carryon, and then it might be iffy. I carried my OU Tenor onto Southwest in my backpack. I wrapped a large shopping bag around it to protect the strings, then had it in my backpack with the neck sticking out of the top. I had a rolling suitcase with me as well (they allow a carryon and a "personal item" but are known to be rather liberal about it). I'd be prepared to have to pay extra, but hope not to.

Seems like the consensus is that it is a non issue.I fly all the time with a tenor in a polyfoam case and a carry-on, never had a problem. They are probably glad I don't play a long scale bass.

Throw it in a suitcase with the rest of your stuff, and check it.

I've flown Spirit to Fl and would not be comfortable trying to go with a tenor. They were fairly nit picky with the size of any carry on items. I've seen them measure or have you put your item in that sample cage and if it doesn't fit, it needs to be checked and that's a problem if you don't have a right proper baggage-safe hard case. This is why I would take my soprano, in a light gig bag, because even the soprano in a hard case was longer than they allow. I think nine times out of ten you'll get by but I'd hate to be at the airport with a bigger uke and get turned away. Spirit is the kind of airline that charges extra now for everything they can think of (checked bags, carry on items, seat assignment, food, etc) and some of their personnel can be less than accommodating, so I would not rely on being able to bring an item that was oversized onto the plane. I no longer fly Spirit. Their seats were way too close together and non-reclining, and that it is too uncomfortable for a long flight. As they cram you in, putting something under your seat becomes difficult and in the crowded overheads you need a very protective gig bag (and this will put you over the length limit) to prevent someone damaging your uke when they shove in their big heavy carry on.

I'll be going to China in May this year and I was hoping to bring back a tenor uke. The price of AnueNue ukes if purchased in China is about half the price in the UK. Has anybody any experience of travelling from China with an ukulele that can give me some advice? I'll be travelling using Hainan airlines.

Thank you

Here's a useful trick if you're worried about all the overhead-bin space filling up before you board: A collapsible cane, Maybe $15 at any drug store. Won't take up much space in your bag. Hobble up to the counter with it, tell them you can't walk very fast. You'll get to board ahead of everybody else. Because greedy airlines now gouge you for big checked-luggage fees, planes are now full of passengers carrying ridiculously large and heavy bags into the cabin. You need to do what you have to do, because the airlines consider you cattle. You're welcome.

Here's a useful trick if you're worried about all the overhead-bin space filling up before you board: A collapsible cane, Maybe $15 at any drug store. Won't take up much space in your bag. Hobble up to the counter with it, tell them you can't walk very fast. You'll get to board ahead of everybody else. Because greedy airlines now gouge you for big checked-luggage fees, planes are now full of passengers carrying ridiculously large and heavy bags into the cabin. You need to do what you have to do, because the airlines consider you cattle. You're welcome.

No. Not cool at all.

I don't think I'll go down that route. Anyway, I've been online and there's a "uke Boutique" in the city that we'll be staying in. They work online and offline so I'm thinking they might ship for me. If anyone's interested, the website is www.4uke.com. It looks very posh.

You need to do what you have to do, because the airlines consider you cattle.

At the risk of piling on, think about the impact of this sort of fraud on individuals who have disabilities. Some airlines are now making it very difficult to travel with actual service dogs since so many travelers are fraudulently claiming their pets are service animals. Similarly, your cane trick will make it harder for those who need an accommodation for themselves, as opposed to their ukulele. Eventually, as we age, all of us will probably need more time and support. Even if you don't care about anyone else, think about how it might eventually affect you.

Last edited:
I have successfully flown with a tenor hard case on a number of airlines without a problem. One thing I have noted is if you have a strap on your case you look less conspicuous since it is less visible to the gate agent that way.

This is a very good point. I usually wear it like a backpack and it seems to get even less attention... well, that's my Taylor GS Mini (3/4 size guitar), so a uke should be even easier, in theory.

Not to be a drag, but any airline at any time can stop you from taking anything on board.
I ended up buying a Makala waterman soprano, which will go in my carry on. They are very serious about that 22 inch long rule. The Makala has a nice sound, btw.

We have brought ukes home from Hawaii, packing them in hard cases, then in the big suitcase (which was checked). This time if we get one on Oahu, we are having it shipped. It is pretty nervewracking.

Not to be a drag, but any airline at any time can stop you from taking anything on board.
I ended up buying a Makala waterman soprano, which will go in my carry on. They are very serious about that 22 inch long rule. The Makala has a nice sound, btw.

We have brought ukes home from Hawaii, packing them in hard cases, then in the big suitcase (which was checked). This time if we get one on Oahu, we are having it shipped. It is pretty nervewracking.
I always stick mine in a hardcase and pack it in my checked luggage. That is why I play a ukulele and not a guitar. I think that it is safer there than dragging it through the airport and shoving it in the overhead or under the seat. But I know that a lot of people can't bring themselves to do that.

Because greedy airlines now gouge you for big checked-luggage fees, planes are now full of passengers carrying ridiculously large and heavy bags into the cabin. You need to do what you have to do, because the airlines consider you cattle. You're welcome.

Airlines cirtainly have a few questions to answer about the way they treat their customers, but customers all want to pay a minimum price so how do you provide a service on that? These days I don’t use public transport much and will not fly anywhere except on business, passengers are treated like cattle - but some behave like they are too - and I think that that’s no way to live.

@Wombat3 I wouldn’t fell happy about using your suggested solution, but I rather think instead that no passenger should ever feel the need to resort to such things.

Last edited:
I'm currently thinking that if I were to fly, with a soprano, it would be in a hard case to be a carry-on.

Anything bigger and I would budget in advance for it to go FedEx 2-day both to my destination, and also back home.

Sure, it's also likely going on an airplane, but the TSA and gate-check agents are overworked and frustrated, and there are ALWAYS other problems boarding the airplane. I dont have to add to the misery.

I just want a safe flight and a comfortable seat without babies screaming in my ear or a 5-yr old kicking the back of my seat the whole flight. Anything beyond that is a blessing. If FedEx delivers the uke damaged, then I can resolve that without dealing with the airline carrier. Just plan ahead so it gets to your hotel on time when you are there....

Never had a problem taking my tenor on in a hard case. Usually I get smiles and a passenger always asks if I'll serenade them in flight. My thought is that, when the engines fall off and we're going down, Happy Trails would be the choice.

Last edited:
...My thought is that, when the engines fall off and were going down, Happy Trails would be the choice.

FWIW, I approve of this activity (and would love to join in at that moment), since I think that this would be quite appropriate. Roy Rogers tunes!!!!

Last time I flew, the attendants thought the hard case was a violin. I wonder If a uke would have gotten the same respect?

Never had a problem taking my tenor on in a hard case. Usually I get smiles and a passenger always asks if I'll serenade them in flight. My thought is that, when the engines fall off and were going down, Happy Trails would be the choice.

Actually, flight attendants will not allow this. I was once stopped from even showing my uke to another passenger - I was told playing anything on board was forbidden. And I was in business class at the time.

Top Bottom