Stagg solid body electric ukulele

Any updates available for this thread. I am seriously contemplating this uke and want to see what your thoughts all are. I really wanted a Tenor for my fat fingers but can't beat the price for a concert. Hmmmm....

Any updates available for this thread. I am seriously contemplating this uke and want to see what your thoughts all are. I really wanted a Tenor for my fat fingers but can't beat the price for a concert. Hmmmm....

it should be here friday afternoon. if all goes well i'll try to post up friday evening or saturday morning, but from my acoustic concerts and tenors, I can tell you the difference in size in the fretboard isn't really all that much.

Last edited:
it's great to see that some of you have jumped in on this uke... Hope you will like them too and let us all know your opinions... I'm so excited for you guys...

Ok so first a big thanks to sgporc for the great review. It's the reason I went with this uke, and I'm happy I did. Overall if I had to be super picky:
  • I'd say the tuners aren't the greatest, but don't appear to be slipping, they're just not super smooth.
  • Also, I prefer the knobs on the eleuke to the slides on the stagg, just because it's harder to adjust the slides while playing.
  • The fretboard also came a little dry, but a little oil made it shiny and fixed it right up.
These aren't big problems, just me being hyper-critical. Overall, though, for a $100 uke coming from a store that doesn't do a proper setup like MGM, These are very manageable issues.

The factory action is great for me. It's not too high, and not too low. I think action is like skirts, the theory of lower is better isn't always true, because sooner or later things just get trashy.

The intonation seems pretty good. Strings are still stretching, but so far it seems just fine. Plugged in, the uke sounds super clean and responsive. I'm already a huge fan.

Now as for the questions that arose.
The headphones and mp3 plugs in the back: aren't really a problem for me. They sit in the lower outer corner of the uke, near the plug, and I find that with a strap on that part of the uke is actually in between my torso and my arm, so no problem there. If you wanted to use it without a strap and were pinching it to your chest, you might have an issue though.

As far as the fretboard size, well, here's more pics. I have a kala soprano, the stagg concert, and a honu tenor lined up at the nut. You be the judge
0226001604.jpg

and just the fretboards lined up next to each other for a better view
fretboards.jpg

anyways, I hope this helps, thanks again to sgporc for the great review, as well as UU for being my favorite website. I'm very impressed with the stagg, if you're on the fence, go for it.

P.S.
Here's a couple of pics, because its shiny and pretty.
0226001602.jpg

0226001602a.jpg

I agree with everything leftovermagic84 said.
factory action is perfect for me
the tuners look and function great but don't feel too smooth while tuning.

Most of you don't like the idea of the headphone/mp3 jacks being on the back. I don't think this was a bad design move, but more of a money saving move.
The factory does not have to drill seperate, yet clean holes for each jack........they also don't have to wire them through the holes...
This is fine with me because it's reflected in the price....I paid $122 shipped.

headphonein.jpg

here is a photo with a regular and L shape jack plugged in
I don't even notice it if I have the L jack in.

Another great thing is that I can plug straight into my computer speakers.
not only that, but you can plug it into your computer as a microphone and record

http://www.aptuner.com/cgi-bin/aptuner/apmain.html
if you download this free tuner, you can plug it straight into your computer as a microphone and tune it
this tuner is more accurate than most clip on tuners

Looks great. Got my budget approved today. Probably place the order in a week or two. Any vids of this instrument out there?

I don't think this was a bad design move, but more of a money saving move.
The factory does not have to drill seperate, yet clean holes for each jack........they also don't have to wire them through the holes...
This is fine with me because it's reflected in the price....I paid $122 shipped.

The L jack is a great solution, and good point about saving costs on the drilling. Glad to hear it is a good instrument.

wow... great to hear the additional positive reviews... moving on to something more speculative... now that we have piqued the interest of many in this uke, I do hope that they would continue to be available at these prices. I did feel when I ordered that the amazing price may be because the retailer is trying to clear their unpopular/unsold inventory. I mean... not a single online user review in the year or so that they've been out is rather pitiful in this day and age... And as I've read in another thread, anyone can basically order off the internet the exact same ukes as the eleukes at $60 a piece for 1000 pieces and have their name custom stamped on the instruments. So I believe many of these types of house-brand contract-manufactured instruments may just be their one-off order to test the product... So I do hope that the current attractive consumer price points are also viable for the retailer to continue offering the product. Otherwise it may become like the harley benton eleuke by thomann, after we heard of their great prices a month or so ago, they are now no longer to be found on their website...

Another way to read into all these... Grab it while it's still available!!! :p:p

And that's why it's called an 'upgrade'. Think of it as going from economy to deluxe....

There are more on the website... this was a one off with solid Macassar ebony drop top.

New to the forum - hello everyone. I like the idea of an electric uke - has anyone compared the Stagg to the Eleuke - Thomann currently have a Harley Benton for £81 + postage but the Stagg looks prettier. Also not so keen on buying mail order if I can help it...

Nice pick up harry! I got some bills to straighten up and mine is on the way. Where can I hear bits of your album?

Top Bottom