Just back from Maui! Hoping for advice!

My two cents: I'd really recommend something like a Kala Tenor to start. It's not the higher quality that you can get in your proce range but it is definately serviceable and Musicguymic (on ebay) always has them. You get an instrument that is perfectly set up and ready to play, that sounds and looks quite good, and can get you going so that you have an idea of what you will really want in 'the one' when you decide buy it. I think just by playing something for a while you learn a bit about yourself as a uke player and what you want out of your instrument.

I think starting with a good (good is key) lower end model would help you pick the right higher end uke later.

Got my first one...and it's....

The Cordoba 25 SK Soprano, from one our own own members!
A sincere THANKS to Gary, who listed is Soprano in The Marketplace here at a really nice price, but more importantly, it's a REALLY nice uke!
While I have never owned a ukulele before, I have bought, sold, and traded guitars for the last 30+ years, so I know build quality when I see it, and this thing is a beauty!
Tone? Well..frankly, I can't say how it compares to other ukes, (YET!), only how it sounds on it's own merits, and it sounds terrific to me!
Really rich tones from such a tiny instrument, and really quite easy "playability" too, with smooth, easy, consistent action up and down the neck.
I'm just not knowledgable to give a much more detailed review, although I'd be happy to try to answer any questions. Just remember this is my very first ukulele, and once I recieve the other two enroute to me, I'll have a better sense of what I am looking at, (Maybe!), and can speak more to how well this one fits the bill for me.
I am glad the first arrival is the Soprano, the "standard" for ukuleles, as I understand it. What a tiny little thing, huh? LOL!
Any thoughts, guys?

Congratulations on your first ukulele!! And thus it begins...

Are you going to name her?

Congratulations on your first ukulele!! And thus it begins...

Are you going to name her?

Interesting!
Do you guys name your ukes? I've collected guitars for a long time....I know some guys who have named their "favorite" axe, but no one names them all.....do you guys do the same? Name your favorite, or your first...what's the criteria?

Interesting!
Do you guys name your ukes? I've collected guitars for a long time....I know some guys who have named their "favorite" axe, but no one names them all.....do you guys do the same? Name your favorite, or your first...what's the criteria?
Check out this thread What's Your Uke's Name? to get an idea. I don't know if a criteria exists but some the guys/gals gave an explanation of why a particular handle was chosen.

Pics are posted!

Started a new thread with pics of the ukes I have gotten since I joined last week...thanks Guys, for all your help!

Top Bottom