Koi Artwork on a Flea (Project)

psesinkclee

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd share my little project to keep me busy over my winter break at home.

In my sociology class at uni (super borrrrrrring), I doodle a lot and worked on a koi fish on the over of my notebook over a few classes :

4384226045_133eb38532.jpg

The size and curve looks perfect to fit my concert flea so I used some tracing paper to duplicate it, tapes it to the sound board, and went over it lightly with a pen. After removing the paper, a slight indentation line could be seen at the right angle so I went over that with pencil then went nuts with the sharpies:

4384989070_5df713f399_b.jpg

4384989466_3c7b92eb9a_b.jpg

4384227195_daf6f87e9c_b.jpg

that is cool... are you drawing directly on to the flea?

4384227547_e2e62fdc61_b.jpg

Wrapped up and taped for the Clear Coat! Using Krylon Acrylic Satin Clear :

4385258276_0f78e4f5f2_b.jpg

Great job Paul. You look to be a fantastic artist.

Wow! Very nice. Now your flea is really yours. Nobody has one like it. Totally cool.

Thanks for the kind words everyone! I've finished a couple coats of clear on it now and just need to wait for it to dry, then it'll be done :)

The scale details are awesome, nice job!

You'll have to let me know if the spray paint effects the sound at all. I'm looking at painting a top myself but I'm concerned it will deaden the sound or something.

This may not be an appropriate comment, but speaking as a parent who put his kids through college, I hope no tuition dollars are going to doodling time. Pay attention in class! :D

OK. I gave it a couple hours to finish drying and it looks awesome! The satin was definitely the way to go rather than the gloss version I saw at the store. It feels smooth the the touch and doesn't give it a reflective appearance. The little dots I put on the end of each scale of the fish flared a little bit, but they look like little sunbursts so I really don't mind :)

I just string it up with aquilas. They're still stretching, but I really don't notice any change in the sound. It sounds as loud as before and looks sooo much better.

I've got a phone interview in a minute, but I'll post pics of the final product afterwards.

This may not be an appropriate comment, but speaking as a parent who put his kids through college, I hope no tuition dollars are going to doodling time. Pay attention in class! :D

lol. Its my last semester as an undergrad, so I'm taking bung courses to fulfill my requirements of total credits. Finished all my Biology courses last year, so its just the little ones I forgot about and some fun classes now. Just coasting until May hahaa. Its an intro sociology course with little to no actual work in it, so I keep myself busy :p

Its done! Fun project, and it only took a day. Now I have a Fishy Flea thats unique :)

4385258497_1dc6b188d7_b.jpg

Top Bottom