Bolt on method: Matching your ukulele neck to body

Resurrecting an old thread: Matching the neck

OK.... so now i'm getting frustrated!

I have spent a good few hours now trying to get the perfect fit between neck and slightly curved body....
Oh the annoyance !
My Concerts have a straight flat contact point, but the Ditson soprano? curved...

I have a sanding block made to the exact curve of the mold, but this still just isn't getting a perfect join... So I am looking for the tricks of the trade!

any advances on what has already been posted here please?

thank you all

I made banjos last year and needed to build a jig to mate the neck to rim. It's complex as it has to do 3 things. The neck angle, the radius of the heel and the centreline has to be offset to line with the third string, not the centre of the headstock. With a uke, it can be simplified to just radius the heel. I hope you can see from the picture how this works on the drill press with a small sanding drum. The whole jig is pivoted at one end and can be moved along and clamped to a given radius. I found it was better to set the radius slightly smaller than the required radius, so that the heel was making contact at the edges and then finished off as previously described by pulling sandpaper through. I used this jig to do my first uke build( which is not far off being finished).P1000430.jpg

i undercut and floss, with a mortise tenon

That's what my next design is going to do, flat where the neck meets the body.

If the upper bout /neck attachment area is flat it looks cheap to me.
Also, when flat, there is the optical illusion that it appears like its curving in. I would suggest using at least a small amount of curve for the upper and lower bout at the centerline.

Top Bottom