Thread: Double-neck uke?

Default Double-neck uke?

I was on Ebay the other day and saw a double-neck uke for sale. It looked like it had a 6 string neck on the bottom and a 4 string neck on top however in the close up pics it looked like the 6 string neck was only strung with 4 strings? Well, it looked nice anyway. Anyone here have a double-neck uke?
    My News is Blues!
    www.dtfbmusic.com
    www.youtube.com/DTFBMusic
    http://musicandjewelry.com

Kala KA-JTE/2TS Jazz archtop electric tenor
    Kala KA-PSS pineapple soprano
    Several custom made tenors and a baritone

I get my large circumference from too much pi.

Here's Chuck Moore's double neck, 8 string on top and 4 on the bottom . . . the next image is Mele's double neck (same config).

Nana ka maka; ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
    pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes; listen with the ears; shut the mouth.
    Thus one learns.

Are these only custom made or is there a stock model or two? Pricey I suppose?
    My News is Blues!
    www.dtfbmusic.com

The Moore Bettah is a custom and the Mele is a stock model but I would call for availability. Yea, they're on the pricey side,

Nana ka maka; ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
    pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes; listen with the ears; shut the mouth.
    Thus one learns.

Quote Originally Posted by the52blues View Post
    Are these only custom made or is there a stock model or two? Pricey I suppose?
    don't quote me but i think the Mele is around $1,500. I played one of the Meles when I was on Maui this past summer. it sounded great. a little different to hold but it was neat.
    according to their website, they have a few in stock
    http://www.meleukulele.com/shopdispl...cts.asp?page=4
    It has a price of $1,499.
    Last edited by haolejohn; 03-06-2010 at 05:02 PM.

In one of the bands I play bass for, we do a song that I start on the uke. I have it on a soundhole hook type strap. My bass is hanging below. After a couple of verse/chorus combos, I have a 4 count to tuck the uke under my arm, find the right spot on the bass neck and finish the song on bass. So what I would LOVE to have is a double neck electric bass/uke. Kind of excessive for just one song, but how cool would that be? I'm picturing something where the upper horn area of the bass is actually a ukulele neck, and the strap attaches on the back of the bass neck. Has anyone else ever thought of this or made something like it?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tarman View Post
    So what I would LOVE to have is a double neck electric bass/uke. Kind of excessive for just one song, but how cool would that be?
    Have you seen the Kala Ubass? It's a great sounding bass ukulele. I think it's about the size of a tenor uke maybe baritone at the largest. I'll bet Road Toad could make a double neck with that!
    My News is Blues!
    www.dtfbmusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by the52blues View Post
    Have you seen the Kala Ubass? It's a great sounding bass ukulele. I think it's about the size of a tenor uke maybe baritone at the largest. I'll bet Road Toad could make a double neck with that!
    I've seen pics and video of them and have been thinking about getting one. I was imagining more of a solid-body double-neck uke/bass.... sort of like a bass with a miniature conjoined twin, lol.

I'm having a double-neck made for me by Fred Casey in Canada. The upper neck will be a concert in standard tuning, and the lower neck will be an 8-string tenor tuned to E A C# F# (3 semi-tones down from standard tuning). It'll be ready in a few months, I can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tarman View Post
    I'm picturing something where the upper horn area of the bass is actually a ukulele neck, and the strap attaches on the back of the bass neck. Has anyone else ever thought of this or made something like it?
    that's a cool idea. I have a spare jazz bass body, I might get out the router and see if I can get it to work. I'll probably cut the upper horn and attach a uke neck/fretboard (I think I'll get an abc store special for the experiment stage) then glue a bridge on. Will have to figure out how to isolate a pickup from the body vibration.

Thread Information