Double-neck uke?

the52blues

Reaction score
I was on Ebay the other day and saw a double-neck uke for sale. It looked like it had a 6 string neck on the bottom and a 4 string neck on top however in the close up pics it looked like the 6 string neck was only strung with 4 strings? Well, it looked nice anyway. Anyone here have a double-neck uke?

Here's Chuck Moore's double neck, 8 string on top and 4 on the bottom . . . the next image is Mele's double neck (same config).

double_neck_uke_002_op_449x903.jpg

uploadimages%5CZZZm2M.jpg

The Moore Bettah is a custom and the Mele is a stock model but I would call for availability. Yea, they're on the pricey side,

Last edited:
In one of the bands I play bass for, we do a song that I start on the uke. I have it on a soundhole hook type strap. My bass is hanging below. After a couple of verse/chorus combos, I have a 4 count to tuck the uke under my arm, find the right spot on the bass neck and finish the song on bass. So what I would LOVE to have is a double neck electric bass/uke. Kind of excessive for just one song, but how cool would that be? I'm picturing something where the upper horn area of the bass is actually a ukulele neck, and the strap attaches on the back of the bass neck. Has anyone else ever thought of this or made something like it?

So what I would LOVE to have is a double neck electric bass/uke. Kind of excessive for just one song, but how cool would that be?

Have you seen the Kala Ubass? It's a great sounding bass ukulele. I think it's about the size of a tenor uke maybe baritone at the largest. I'll bet Road Toad could make a double neck with that!

Have you seen the Kala Ubass? It's a great sounding bass ukulele. I think it's about the size of a tenor uke maybe baritone at the largest. I'll bet Road Toad could make a double neck with that!

I've seen pics and video of them and have been thinking about getting one. I was imagining more of a solid-body double-neck uke/bass.... sort of like a bass with a miniature conjoined twin, lol.

I'm having a double-neck made for me by Fred Casey in Canada. The upper neck will be a concert in standard tuning, and the lower neck will be an 8-string tenor tuned to E A C# F# (3 semi-tones down from standard tuning). It'll be ready in a few months, I can't wait!

I'm picturing something where the upper horn area of the bass is actually a ukulele neck, and the strap attaches on the back of the bass neck. Has anyone else ever thought of this or made something like it?

that's a cool idea. I have a spare jazz bass body, I might get out the router and see if I can get it to work. I'll probably cut the upper horn and attach a uke neck/fretboard (I think I'll get an abc store special for the experiment stage) then glue a bridge on. Will have to figure out how to isolate a pickup from the body vibration.

Top Bottom