New uke day! (And my dream uke, too!)

NatalieS

Reaction score
Due to the awesomeness of UU, I've finally found my dream uke! I first laid eyes on a special-edition Pono mango sprucetop tenor last summer when MGM posted a video of one on his YouTube. Since then, I've been searching near and far to obtain one. As far as I know, there were only a few made. There was one for sale on UU in November but the asking price was too high for me. Through sheer luck, new UU member Shin had one for sale in Japan and contacted me! It arrived yesterday, and after keeping it in its case for 24 hours to humidify and bring up to temperature, I've tuned it and started to play.

WOW-- this uke is everything I could ever hope for and more!! It is absolutely gorgeous, especially with the spalted mango back and sides, and the blue/green abalone rosette and purfling. It's strung with Koolau Gold low-G strings, and the tone is exactly what I've always looked for: sweet, mellow, and warm, with just a hint of added volume from the sprucetop. The low-G is really a perfect match for this instrument. I am so impressed, and so grateful to you, Shin, for selling this uke to me!

IMG_2799.jpg

IMG_2800.jpg

IMG_2804.jpg

IMG_2807.jpg

More pictures...
IMG_2810.jpg

And yours truly, the happy new owner!
IMG_2828-1.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats-very nice looking uke! Play the heck out of it!

It is awesome to realize your dreams. The problem with most of us musician types the minute we realize the dream of the moment, the next dream visualizes. I have done that with guitars, banjos and basses and now....I have the uke acquisition syndrome starting with my first uke tomorrow - a Kala Jazz archtop electric tenor in tobacco sunburst. I can't wait!!!

Wow, it looks great! It looks perfectly suited in your arms too! :p

It was a real miracle. The her thread which I found accidentally. There was the name of the ukulele that I stocked. It is natural that I contacted her immediately. And I am glad that her dream came true. I'm sure you will greatly enjoy this incredible instrument. And I am grateful to MGM.
Thank you so much, Natalie!

Lovely! And the uke is too.

Nice when we find our dream uke, ain't it?

Great looking uke. A good way to break it in is by entering some of the contest going on right now. Good luck!

Top Bottom