Texas Uke Fest this weekend in San Antonio

Rod

Reaction score
Throwing out a reminder that this Friday and Saturday San Antonio will be hosting the annual Texas Uke Fest. I will be performing on Saturday at 3pm, come and check it out! Below are more details on the festival...

ANNUAL UKULELE FESTIVAL IN SAN ANTONIO - Free for all

Ukulele enthusiasts will gather at Lion's Field Adult and Senior Center in San Antonio, Friday March 19th and Saturday March 20th at Alamo Music.

The event will begin with a Introduction to Ukulele Workshop at 1:00pm on Friday afternoon. Forty-five minute workshops for Beginning, Intermediate, and Advanced Players will be held from 2pm- 5pm. Bring your ukulele, borrow one for the workshop, or buy one there. Other workshops include Harmonica, Hula, Steel Guitar, Washtub Bass from our special guest, Washtub Jerry.

Beverly Gagliardi, Director of the The Ukulele Ladies and Gents, will lead a Strum and Sing-a-long on Friday evening at Lion’s Field Adult and Senior Center, from 7:00-9:00pm.

Saturday, Ukulele groups and individual players share their music from 1- 5pm at Alamo Music downtown location.

This year's festival is all-volunteer and free-for-all who want to share the joy of ukulele.

Email ukuleleuniverse@yahoo.com for more info or call Joyce at 210-521-9459.

Schedule of Activities

Friday 3/19 at Lion's Field Center on the corner of Broadway & Mulberry

1-5pm Workshops - 45 minutes each

Intro to Ukulele
Beginning Ukulele
Intermediate Ukulele
Advanced Ukulele
Intro to Harmonica
Wash Tub Jerry
Intro to Steel Guitar
Beginning Hula

1-5pm Open Mic and ad lib jammin'

5-7pm dinner on your own - 15% Discount tickets from Patty Lou's

7-9pm Strum & sing-a-long with Bev

Saturday 3/20 - at Alamo Music - 425 North Main Ave

1-5pm Performances ( 15 & 30 minute slots)

1:00 - UL&G - Bev
1:30 - Al's Group + open
2:00 - Uke-a-doodlers - Dorthy + open
2:30 - Jim Boyer + open
3:00 - Bruddah Rod + open
3:30 - Pearl's Girls + open
4:00 - Seniors of Note - Duane + open
4:30 - Halau Ku`i - Joyce
5:00 - Festival over

My pleasure! I'm always looking to meet other Texas ukulele players.

I realize this post is 7 years old but I was wondering if there was still a ukulele festival in San Antonio or any other event to attend to meet other Ukulele players in SA? Thanks.

I was getting packed and ready to go, until I realized this post was 7 years old :) I mean, how did you even find the original post?

I, too, am trying to figure out if the Texas Uke Fest is still ongoing. Will there be one in 2018? The website, texasukefest.com, now leads to a legal news page.

PS: When you're my age, 7 years is nothing! ;)

Last edited:
Dallas, Houston, and Austin all have sizeable active groups, and there are more of us scattered around somewhat randomly. I don't know of any big festivals in the last few years, though.

Wow, I haven't been here at UU for a while.
mas

I have started a FaceBook group for south Austin ukers since most uke groups are in north Austin and traffic here has gone crazy! The group is called SAUCE (South Austin Ukulele Community and Events). You don’t have to live in south Austin, so long as you are enriching this local community in some way with your participation.

Best regards Dennis

Hi Dennis! Is there a way to be a part of SAUCE without being on FB? I would like to go to a jam or meeting. Thanks!

--Kit

My dad lives near San Marcos, and I would have considered going to San Antonio Uke fest

Hi Dennis! Is there a way to be a part of SAUCE without being on FB? I would like to go to a jam or meeting. Thanks!

--Kit

Hey Kitsunegarcia, I'll work with you on that. Are you in the south Austin area? I met another fellow who wants to meet weekday daytimes which is best for me. You could say he and I are both retired. We texted about meeting for the first time on Monday or Tuesday to strategize forming and promoting a day uker group.

I am also willing/ interested in a weekend daytime group to gather and play but haven't put that together yet. I have a beginner's group on Sunday February 11th at 2 pm in my home. 'Twill be a small gathering of people who want help with the very basics. You could join if that's where you are, or as a mentor or to bring another beginner along.

I will PM you some information you can use to get in touch.

Cheers! Dennis

I'd love to hear of any such ukers in North Dallas area, I know nobody else here who plays, but would love to get together... I'm no veteran though, just self learning for 1,5 years, and I bet if I had taken lessons, I would be much farther. I was so excited about this festival until someone pointed out it was 7 years old. What a buzz kill.

Top Bottom