Need help with F#dim chord

Huckleberry

Reaction score
Need some help here. When I find a song I think I can handle, I copy the words and add the chord structures I'm not familiar with. When transcribing Mike Lynch's " You've Got a Friend in Me" he uses a F#dim7 chord. Well, I can't find that chord in any Chord Map. What I do find is the F#dim, yet it shows the 7th note in the map. I can't figure this one out

Any help in explaining would be greatly appreciated. As you can tell, I get hung up on the little things.

Thanks

Huckleberry

A good way to play F#dim7 is 2323.

I do have a chord chart that calls that particular chord shape just plain old "dim", but they really are full dim7 chords.

You can play an F#dim triad (without the 7) as 2023 or even 2020. And that will probably work for that song, although it won't be quite as "jazzy".

JJ

to Ukulele JJ

Just wondering about the inconsistancy. Why doesn't F#dim7 show up in Chord charts yet F#dim shows the chord for the 7th ???

Thanks for the reply

You're going to see different terminology in different sources. Much of pop/jazz chord theory is built around dominant 7 chords. So often the Dom7 is implied in chord names. For example, when you see C9 it usually means some configuration of C E G Bb D. The inclusion of the Bb dominant 7 is assumed. To omit the Dom7, you'd call it C add 9.

So you can usually assume that "X diminished" means "X minor 7 diminished 5" unless otherwise indicated as, for example, C dim5, Cm dim5, etc.

Thanks MTGuru

Pretty heady stuff. Got to bone up on Music Theory. Just confused with what I see in Chord Maps and what I see in Fret Board finger positions.

Thanks again

Last edited:
With most diminished 7th chords, it doesn't matter which one of the notes is the root i.e. if it's a dim chord and contains an Fsharp then it's an F sharp dim. It's the only chord where all of the notes within it can be counted as the root (just how you play it).

Sometimes I write out the diminished chord 'name' by "position" since we tend to only play them in one of 3 positions
and I don't know Theory enough to figure out what it should be called.

Gdim, C#dim, Edim, Bbdim = 1 dim (0101)
Fdim, Ddim, G#dim, Bdim = 2 dim (1212)
Cdim, Adim, D#dim, F#dim = 3 dim (2323)

F#dim would then be 3 dim

keep uke'in',

Inversions of the dim form occur every 4 frets (or 2 full tones). In other words if you play an Fdim chord 1212 and move it to 4545 and then to 7878 and 10111011 etc. this will make a nice effect as opposed to staying in one fret.

Top Bottom