Knock Around

Pilothawk

Reaction score
I am new to the world of ukes. I have a Kala travel tenor that I love, and a KPK that I am happy with save the buzzing/rattle of the C string. I actually play the KPK more because the concert size and softer strings are easier on my fingers.

I am looking to pick up something that I can carry around, out to the farm, etc that I don't have to be quite so careful about forgetting in the truck where temps can climb out of sight in the hot Texas summers. I have learned the KPK is very likely to crack in dry conditions. Well, it gets plenty dry in Texas in the summer.

My question is what would you recommend. Just picking up a Makala dophin from MGM, or should I look around to find a Flea/Fluke? Or just get a hard case and a couple of humidifier and go for it?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

I can strongly recommend the Makala Dolphin, especially the plastic bodied ones. We have two (one plastic, one wood) that my grandkids play, and play with, and they have held up very well. I have heard of some paint chipping issues with some of them, but ours are fine. I haven't tried a Flea or Fluke but everything I've heard about them is positive, but the Dolphin is IMO the best bang for the buck available.

You won't be disappointed in a Flea or Fluke - tough little buggers!

I set a Fluke down on a polished table last week, but from the corner of my eye it looked like it might tip over, so I reached fast to grab it. I was off a little and ended up sort of punching it right where the fingerboard overlaps the body. The thing FLEW across the table. There was a guy sitting there bent over looking at a paper, and it bonked him on top of the head, with the back side of the Fluke. It BOUNCED off his head, back across the table, and hit the floor about 5 feet away.

Not a scratch.

Had to retune the A string.

The guy's head was OK too.

LOL!!!!!
You sound like me. I swear everyone ELSE in the room needs to wear protective clothing when I walk in....
Good to hear your fluke was unscathed!
I have a flea on it's way to me for this very issue. I live in Texas as well (about an hour east of Dallas) and I too have a KPK, but a soprano, and with the summers and rainy seasons, and bug spray, and well, my general lack of grace, I will NOT allow it outside. This flea will be my take EVERYwhere uke!
I can't wait!!!

Maybe consider a "Outdoor Ukulele". They haven't shipped any of them yet but they should be a good beater uke at the very least.

I've got high hopes that they'll be great.

http://outdoorukulele.com/

Last edited:
You won't be disappointed in a Flea or Fluke - tough little buggers!

I set a Fluke down on a polished table last week, but from the corner of my eye it looked like it might tip over, so I reached fast to grab it. I was off a little and ended up sort of punching it right where the fingerboard overlaps the body. The thing FLEW across the table. There was a guy sitting there bent over looking at a paper, and it bonked him on top of the head, with the back side of the Fluke. It BOUNCED off his head, back across the table, and hit the floor about 5 feet away.

Not a scratch.

Had to retune the A string.

The guy's head was OK too.

Thanks for helping me snort my morning coffee all over my computer screen. Wish there was some video of this.

Also Lanikai. I have a LU-21P. It's a soprano-scale pineapple, strung with Aquilas so that pumps up the tone a little bit. They're commonly available under $100. Hell for stout, but you should play a couple to find one with good intonation. The action seems to be high on these from the store. But that will give you a chance to learn a bit about care and feeding of ukuleles great and small.

Also Lanikai. I have a LU-21P. It's a soprano-scale pineapple, strung with Aquilas so that pumps up the tone a little bit. They're commonly available under $100. Hell for stout, but you should play a couple to find one with good intonation. The action seems to be high on these from the store. But that will give you a chance to learn a bit about care and feeding of ukuleles great and small.

My Lanikai LU-21 cost $70 in 2007 and has been around the world, thrown in my suitcase with no separate uke case. It is stout and sounds decent. needed 2-3 hours of set-up work but that was fun and good training.

My Lanikai LU-21 cost $70 in 2007 and has been around the world, thrown in my suitcase with no separate uke case. It is stout and sounds decent. needed 2-3 hours of set-up work but that was fun and good training.

I should add that Pondoro coached me through similar set-up on my LU-21P. Took it from fair to good. Now I look forward to getting some good travel stories from it.

Top Bottom