Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aquila vs Worth strings

Default Aquila vs Worth strings

Check this video where Ken Middleton compares Aquila to Worths. The cutaway is Aquila, and the other has Worth strings.

http://ukulelehunt.com/buy-ukulele/c...ulele-strings/

The Worth strings sound fuller to me. What do you think??
    " WHEN YOU CAN'T FIND SOMETHING,
    EITHER IT'S LOST OR YOU ARE " - - BENDER
    :

I think the comparison should be done on the very same instrument. Each one has differences in sound quality. It would also be more interesting to compare a sound patterns.

As far as my classical and flamenco guitars go, I prefer the tone and volume of flourocarbon (Savarez) to the tone of Nylgut (Aquila). There are, however, some instruments and playing styles (without nails) for which Nylgut may be optimal.

I have Aquilas on a solid spruce top tenor. If I were to put Worths on them, (generally speaking) how could I expect it to sound differently?
    - brightness/warmth
    - loudness

I started with GHS, tried Hilos, then Aquilas, and then Worths. Have settled on Worths, love 'em. Full rich sound.
    UWC; only those who have not been can rationalize not going.

How about Loudness compared to Aquila?
    I like how Aquilas bring-up-the-loudness on a laminate uke.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul December View Post
    I have Aquilas on a solid spruce top tenor. If I were to put Worths on them, (generally speaking) how could I expect it to sound differently?
    - brightness/warmth
    - loudness
    I personally don't use Worths on spruce-topped instruments. I prefer the fuller sound of Aquilas. They do sound significantly louder. For the cost of some strings you could try them. If you don't like the Worths, put the Aquilas back on.
    KEN

Ken Middleton Ukulele

http://www.KenMiddleton.co.uk

For Living Water Strings go to http://www.kenmiddleton.co.uk/Pages/LWS.aspx

For Ohana related comments, observations and questions, email me at ken@ohana-music.com

Remember: a ukulele is forever.

Finger Lakes region NY/Carolina Beach, NC

Quote Originally Posted by GVlog View Post
    I think the comparison should be done on the very same instrument. Each one has differences in sound quality. It would also be more interesting to compare a sound patterns.

As far as my classical and flamenco guitars go, I prefer the tone and volume of flourocarbon (Savarez) to the tone of Nylgut (Aquila). There are, however, some instruments and playing styles (without nails) for which Nylgut may be optimal.
    I prefer Savarez HT on my classical guitars and so far love the tone and volume of fluorocarbon strings on my ukes.

EDIT. Savarez Alliance HT trebles are fluorocarbon. Maybe why I also prefer fluorocarbon ukulele strings to nylgut. Love the responsiveness, the tone and the thinner diameter of the fluorocarbon.
    Last edited by guitharsis; 03-30-2010 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Clarification of reply to OP

It's funny, I could have sworn this was a ukulele forum.
    Last edited by Ken Middleton; 03-30-2010 at 01:54 AM.
    KEN

Ken Middleton Ukulele

http://www.KenMiddleton.co.uk

For Living Water Strings go to http://www.kenmiddleton.co.uk/Pages/LWS.aspx

For Ohana related comments, observations and questions, email me at ken@ohana-music.com

Remember: a ukulele is forever.

I prefer Savarez HT on my classical guitars and so far love the tone and volume of flourocarbon strings on my ukes.
    It's funny, I could have sworn this was a ukulele forum.
    Thanks much for that info. I don't like the sound of my baritone and would like it to sound more like a guitar. Now to find the right gauge of Savarez to use on the uke.
    Now, back to the original thread. If I had to make a choice I'd use Aquilla on my smaller ukes and the Worth Clears on my larger one, soprano-Aquilla and Concert or Tenor-Worth Clear. I do mostly strumming on the smaller ukes and fingerpick or chord melody with my thumb on the larger ones.
    And yes, this is a ukulele forum but we do use guitar strings on our ukes occasionally. I have D'addario on two of my ukes now that are made up of classic guitar strings. A concert and a tenor set, bought here from the Ukulele Underground store.

Jude
    Last edited by heyjude; 03-30-2010 at 02:36 AM.
    "Man cannot live by bread alone, he must have peanut butter" -Kruger Bear-

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Middleton View Post
    I personally don't use Worths on spruce-topped instruments. I prefer the fuller sound of Aquilas. They do sound significantly louder. For the cost of some strings you could try them. If you don't like the Worths, put the Aquilas back on.
    I'll have to politely disagree with you here, Ken, about Aquilas sounding fuller. To my ears Aquilas tend towards emphasizing the high end with an decent increase in overall volume. They're very bright and loud as far as strings go. They're also a bit thicker than comparable strings which probably contributes to the volume and the feel which some prefer (my wife for example). On certain ukes they sound rather harshly bright to me, but just about right on others and always seem good at livening up a cheap laminate. I can't speak for spruce, but I wasn't fond of them on a cedar top.

The Worth's on the other hand have a more of a pronounced midrange than the Aquilas, so to me they actually seem fuller sounding and for particular instruments more balanced. I prefer them on some brighter ukes like Koaloha because they warm up the sound without losing the overall bright character of the instrument. (I also find them a bit more economical since Worth gives you enough string to make two sets.) They've sort of become my default strings over the last year.

But as it is, it is a subjective thing. Everyone's mileage will vary and I agree 100% that it's well worth anybody's time to try things for themselves. Strings aren't really that expensive and there's likely a good match of string to uke to be had for everybody. At worst you spend a few bucks, but in the end you know for yourself what works for your personal taste.

Thread Information