train- type of ukulele used in hey soul sister.

Reaction score
hey, saw them on jay leno last night, sounded ok, but ukulele sounded great, anyone know what kind he was using?

Fender only makes 3 ukuleles: a laminate mahogany, a laminate koa, and a solid mahogany. Out of these three, the one in the video most closely matches the laminate koa (Nohea model as linked to above). These don't come with a pickup so he must have had one installed.

I like the song but then i don't listen to much radio so i dont get the overplayed too many times in my brain syndrome. I actually listen to talk radio in the car Coast to Coast at night and all the raunchy political talk show ohst during the day when driving. I got into the habit from being a Nightclub disc Jockey in the 70's. after playing music at 120plus DB all night for 7 hours straight the last thing i wanted to hear when i got into the car to go home was more music. Is that a sin? LOL

hey when did this new font and size feature start....cooollll

Last edited:
way too much treble in that video from leno

Well, the Guitarist is the one who played the Uke, and seeing as they are a professional band with millions, the chance that he used a laminated Fender is probably slim. My guess was it was a custom Uke. The guitarist actually plays the ukulele for fun, not just in this song, so I'd bet he would have an instrument made, the same as many here on the forums.

that's definitely a Fender Nohea. I have the exact same one... you can see the fender sticker inside at the beginning of the video if you look really closely.

I like the song but then i don't listen to much radio so i dont get the overplayed too many times in my brain syndrome. I actually listen to talk radio in the car Coast to Coast at night and all the raunchy political talk show ohst during the day when driving. I got into the habit from being a Nightclub disc Jockey in the 70's. after playing music at 120plus DB all night for 7 hours straight the last thing i wanted to hear when i got into the car to go home was more music. Is that a sin?

I'm like you Mike. I can't remember the last time I listened to music on the radio. I listen to NPR on the radio when I'm driving to and from work. On longer drives I plug my iPod into the car stereo.

Top Bottom