Newbie with Questions

zwwizard

Reaction score
Good morning ukers(is that a word?). I'm a newbie in building a uke and have just joined this forum, and naturally I have some questions. My sister has ask me to make her one and one of my fellow wood carvers has made one and has talked me into making one for myself.
I have two books on making a ukulele, one by Denis Gilbert and the other one is Hana Lima 'Ia by Michael Chock. both are different. I have read a lot in this forum and see that Brad has a arch top in the works with a group builders making some.(wheres the pictures?) I have seen Brad's only. (hey Brad, you still have any plans left for the hour glass type?) this sounds like something I would like to try. What I would like to know is,- which style is the better for playability? And which is the best construction method? Or is there another book out there? Boy that opens a can of worms, don't it. I haven't started any jigs yet and will wait for your feed back.
It would be nice if there was a section here in the forum that could be set aside just for jigs.
Sometimes I think I like making jigs is more fun.
Well I have rambled along long enough.I have made dulcimers in the past and I am setting up to make some more. I have a huge stock pile of wood (I'm a woodaholic) that is to short for the dulcimers and not wide enough for a guitar. I have worked with a friend who in a luthier (Foxhollowguitars.com) so am familiar for the constitution of the instruments.
Thank You
Richard
Take a look at my mess and work.
http://www.PictureTrail.com/gallery/view?username=thewizz

Welcome zwwizard. I 'm just finishing a Tenor I made fallowing the Hanalima book and it worked out well. I have posted some pics and when I'm finished with it I will post more . I live down the road from foxhallowguitars is He still doing classes ?

Hi Neighbor, I was just talking to Don at For Hollow and will be going up tomorrow. He still is doing classes. Andy DePaule(DePaule Supply) son just finished one of his classes.

Hi zwwizard, I have been waiting for some of the arch top building group members to finish some of their instruments. Clifford has got the top and back of his done. I checked out your website and it looks like building a carved top instrument would be right up your alley. Nice small wooden planes by the way. If you would like me to send you the plans, send me a PM with your email address and I'll get them to you.

Brad

We the Ukers, in order to form a more perfect ukulele, establish intonation and ensure... c'mon guys, help me out here, we need to write a constitution of the instruments... ;)

spell check isn't always your friend!

Top Bottom