My fingers hurt

Keef

Reaction score
While I'm waiting for my sceptre to get here I unearthed a souvineer grade Westbrook ukulele that has been sitting in it's original box for at least the last 48 years untouched
7ebc11a4.jpg

and I tryed to teach my self chords all day and all night Sunday now my finger tips hurt
LOL :) I'm sure they will toughen up as time goes on
this post dosent really have a point or question I just wanted to show off my cheapy but old uke :)

That explains why uke players make funny faces while they play I figure it hurts :)
that guy on uke got mail is always smileing he must like it :)

Expect some volunteers to " play your Sceptre for you until your fingers heal ".

I actualy would love someone that can play to play it because I can't not yet anyways :)
but I will do my best who knows maybe the divine intervention that inspired the sceptre will find me too
But just incase that dosent happen I ordered a DVD lesson

yeah, i play for an hour a day or so and have done so for about a year. i thought i was getting over the hurt fingers, then i got my high-tension eleuke with uber thin aquila strings and now they hurt all over. and yes, it feels good!! it will go away eventually.

as for the uke, that's a familiar looking uke. i have a beltone soprano from 1968 and it looks exactly the same. the bridge and color are a little different, but the fretboard and the coloring of the fret markers is exactly the same. it even looks like the headstock is shaped exactly the same. go to my profile and check it out.

My fingers hurt for about 2 or 3 weeks at first...well, they were numb and hurt. :p What I do to keep my calluses is use Aveeno lotion (no smell, so it's not girlie, if you want to try it). If the edges get rough, I use an emery board (nail file) just enough to smooth the edges. I do NOT want to peel off my calluses!

Also, it *is* true that even after you've been playing for months and think your fingertips are all tough, if you don't practice enough every day, you can hit a day of heavy playing and suddenly end up with sore fingertips again! Also playing an ukulele with too-high action will make your fingertips sore faster/more easily. That might be what's happening with your vintage while-you-wait uke.

But it's all worth it. I can even play the thin metal strings on my Strumstick now too! Well, not for HOURS, but I'm surprised! I can't wait to see what happens when I try my mandolin, though. :p

CountryMouse

Your souvenir grade uke with the box, might be worth a pretty penny to some collector. Sometimes the original packaging and uke combined is really sought after by some.

My mom bought it in the early 60s but never really played it ..
She passed away 7 months ago so to me its monetary value dosent matter to me
I ordered new tuners and strings for it in an attempt to make it sound better..... But it won't be for sale as long as I own it

How are your fingers? Are they getting better? The story about your uke keeps getting better and better.

Well that's all there is to it for now
:)
fingers are the same but I dont mind

Last edited:
If that uke in the picture is a collector's item, you better not modify it. Doing so will only ruin its value. If you really feel you must, consider taking it to a highly reputable luthier for the work. One oops, and you'll be kicking your own butt.

By the way, about your sore fingers. Since no one has said it, I'll say it: "Stop your whining, lad! It's supposed to hurt." Any time you are a newb working the strings, your fingertips are going to hurt until they develop enough callus. If you spend too much time away from the strings, your fingertips will hurt all over again--until the callus return.

To help your callus develop, you might see about getting some hoof hardener. That's what jazz and country guitarist Chet Atkins once recommended. Any good tack and feed shop will have it. You just have to take a trip to the country to find such a business. Otherwise, you'll have to go online to get yourself a little jar of it. It will keep your fingertip callus properly moisturized, prevent cracking and peeling, and aid healthy development. If you neglect moisturization, you will risk getting blisters. When that happens, you will lose callus and revisit the pain again. Get some hoof hardener.

--Dave E.

Don't let those hard earned callouses get dry and cracked! It should take about 2 weeks of practicing every day to get those nice protective fingerpads. I use Hemp Hand Cream from the Body Shop, and that has been good (use once a day before bedtime). My callouses stay happy and invisible that way.
–Lori

You guys are cracking me up :)
we are talking about a widdle itty bitty ukulele
not martial arts :)
Yes my fingers hurt No I'm not whining just having some fun posting :)
and waiting for my uke lesson DVD to get here along with the sceptre and a la pacific banjo uke
so far I have done nothing but spend money the goal here is to learn so that money wasn't wasted
but for now i'm just typing:)

I just like to tease people and give them a hard time. No offense meant. What counts is that you have a positive attitude going into playing. Stress on the word, "Playing." That's what it should be. Of course, you have to be at least a little serious about what you're doing--otherwise it's unlikely you're going to progress. And, with the progress, you have more fun!

Keep it going!
--Dave E.

Top Bottom