uke can play review?

papplehead

Reaction score
Hey has anyone used the ukecanplay.com speak ukulele program yet? Looks really useful, but im reluctant to pay any money for something that i probably wont get much use out of. I can see high value for someone who is just starting out, but for someone more advanced how would it hold up?

I also would like to know about this, The website seems a bit fishy to me. I also can't really see the point of the app over learning chords by ear, but i can do that without paying $30/$40

I bought it and it's very useful, he also already made three updates. Don't forget that it includes more than 150 chords.
The special prices finish soon ^^

Hi Sylvain,

After the tremendous response to Speak Ukulele's debut, I postponed the public release to give all my members a chance to get in on the special price - but I can't extend this offer any longer. The public has already been invited this Thursday at 12:01 am Pacific time.

That's why I just wanted to send you one final reminder: If you haven't claimed your copy of Speak Ukulele at the exclusive member's discount price of $29.97 - you need to do it now!
That's because there are only 24 hours left until your discount expires forever.

This is the page you need to visit, right now:
http://ukecanplay.com/speak_ukulele.html

Here's what some of our community who got in in time had to say about Speak Ukulele:

"It was just released yesterday, has a wealth of information about chords and sounds and, I believe, it has a lot of potential for all ranges of ukulele players."
- Chuck B.

"I have already played around with the program and as a neophyte on the uke I can see this will be very useful."
- Mike R.

"I'm an intermediate to advanced player - I think I and my beginner girlfriend are going to get a lot out of it."
- Robert M.

"I have been playing for some time, but like to always keep learning and seeing what teaching techniques are out there.
I think you really have a winner."

- Steve S.

Remember, Wednesday at midnight Pacific time the price goes up to the introductory price of $39.97 (reg. $49.97)

BUT, you've still got 24 hours to get it at the member's early bird discount of only $29.97!

Here's the link again...
http://ukecanplay.com/speak_ukulele.html

Even if you're not sure, follow the link to watch the free presentation and see what this amazing product can do for you.

And thank you for being a member of UkeCanPlay.com!

Mahalo!
BeatNik

Last edited:
There's a money back guarantee, and I have seen piano courses that do the same kind of thing for a much higher price. It might be worth a shot. I wonder if it works on Macintosh. Some people learn better from books, others from interactive programs.
–Lori

I was sorely tempted by this as well, was hoping somebody here would have taken the plunge! Not a bad price for what it is.

I've been searching for a review as well. It looks worthwhile to me for the price, I've been playing for almost a year and still have a lot to learn. With all the emails and the pitches, I feel like I'm being sold a used car though. Not that the program looks like a lemon, far from it, but the guy's going for the hard sell. Wish he'd just let the program speak for itself. I think my wife's getting it for me for Father's Day. If she does, I'll put up a review.

If it seems high priced, remember that some instructional DVDs cost almost that much, with no interactive features. I was curious about it and decided to get it. It downloaded fine, but I haven't been able to get it to work yet. I don't think the problem is with the program though. I have a Mac. He gives instructions on how to make it work with Mac. But when I try to download Flash Player, it doesn't work. But I am kind of an idiot about computers. I have a musician acquaintance who has a Mac and is much more computer savvy than me, so I am planning on giving him a call to see if he could come help me out. I pretty much just use my computer to surf the net ... but I DO have an idea kicking around my head that I might try to use for my first Youtube video... we'll see.

Chris,

I also have a Mac and am also an idiot when it comes to computers. If you figure it out, would you mind posting about it?

I am typing up a review of it for my website, but don't have it finished yet. My initial feeling is that it is pretty cool. It would be a huge help for beginners, some help for intermediate players and might teach some things like chord recognitions to more seasoned players. I will probably be done with my review on Thursday as I cut my left index fingertip yesterday so fretting is painful.

Mike
ukuDaily.com

It was the chord recognition part that appealed to me. I've played bass for almost 30 years, and a teeny bit of guitar off and on, but ukulele is my first major foray into chords. At one point in the past, when I was in college, I could figure out chords by ear on guitar fairly well, but that was a long time ago. Some of the chord shapes on uke are really different. Learning where the root note is in the chord shape is particularly tricky for me (as a bass player, I am used to it being on the lowest string!). I haven't gotten the chords down well enough to always be able to tell by ear if a chord is a 7th, 9th, Diminished, etc. And the uke music I am most interested in uses a LOT of those sorts of chords.

We decided to order Speak Ukulele since we'd like to learn more about playing by ear. With the money back guarantee, it seemed worht a try. We haven't been able to get the program to download though, and now the link has expired. We sent an email to Beatnik a few hours ago. Still waiting for an answer.

Below is my initial review of "Speak Ukulele (By BeatNik)"...

Thoughts
I was pretty skeptical about this website when I stumbled on it but I gave it a shot and I am happy that I did... Nothing shady happened after purchase... You can use PayPal or Credit Card...

I am new to ukulele and have been playing for almost one year... I have found that there are only a few really good tools (i.e. DVD's, Books, Webpages, Programs) out in the Ukulele world worth purchasing. This program is worth the purchase price ... Why?... Chords, Finger Positions, Audio, and PLAY BY EAR Mode... it is a Basic Program but it really, really compliments lessons given by Jim D'ville (DVD Play Ukulele By Ear)... This will get you up and running faster than trying to look at chord charts that you can't interact with and that don't make sound. I am glad that I found this early on in my Ukulele adventure... and although I am not an Advanced Uku-Player, I cannot image how it would not be useful to an advanced player as well.

If you want to see the initial tutorial mode of the program watch it on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9GwJV2viIk

Simple Questions Answered Up Front:
- The program works on a Mac :eek:
- The program works on Windows
- Download was simple and quick

Items that Would Compliment this Software
- DVD - Jim D'ville - DVD Play Ukulele By Ear
- DVD - Dan Huckabee - Understanding the Formula of Music
- Books - anything by Heeday Kimura !!! This guy is the Yoda of Ukulele... Seriously...
- Webpage - Ukulele Underground :p

If your having trouble with the install here is the link for troubleshooting:
http://ukecanplay.com/speak-uke-help.html

Problems:
I had a few hick-ups once I downloaded the program from BeatNiks site... nothing major... the program downloaded just fine... but, for whatever reason my Mac didn't want to install Adobe Flash Player 10 after I downloaded it from Adobes webpage... but BeatNik provides an alternative to using Adobe... it is a program called iSwiff and it runs his program just fine on a Mac (its a free download and BeatNik provides the link to website)...

NOTE: I took the time to watch BeatNik's troubleshooting video prior to purchase and it answered my questions and made very simple sense to me... HE SHOWS YOU EXACTLY HOW TO DO IT...:p

Below is my initial review of "Speak Ukulele (By BeatNik)"...

Thoughts
I was pretty skeptical about this website when I stumbled on it but I gave it a shot and I am happy that I did... Nothing shady happened after purchase... You can use PayPal or Credit Card...

I am new to ukulele and have been playing for almost one year... I have found that there are only a few really good tools (i.e. DVD's, Books, Webpages, Programs) out in the Ukulele world worth purchasing. This program is worth the purchase price ... Why?... Chords, Finger Positions, Audio, and PLAY BY EAR Mode... it is a Basic Program but it really, really compliments lessons given by Jim D'ville (DVD Play Ukulele By Ear)... This will get you up and running faster than trying to look at chord charts that you can't interact with and that don't make sound. I am glad that I found this early on in my Ukulele adventure... and although I am not an Advanced Uku-Player, I cannot image how it would not be useful to an advanced player as well.

If you want to see the initial tutorial mode of the program watch it on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9GwJV2viIk

Simple Questions Answered Up Front:
- The program works on a Mac :eek:
- The program works on Windows
- Download was simple and quick

Items that Would Compliment this Software
- DVD - Jim D'ville - DVD Play Ukulele By Ear
- DVD - Dan Huckabee - Understanding the Formula of Music
- Books - anything by Heeday Kimura !!! This guy is the Yoda of Ukulele... Seriously...
- Webpage - Ukulele Underground :p

If your having trouble with the install here is the link for troubleshooting:
http://ukecanplay.com/speak-uke-help.html

Problems:
I had a few hick-ups once I downloaded the program from BeatNiks site... nothing major... the program downloaded just fine... but, for whatever reason my Mac didn't want to install Adobe Flash Player 10 after I downloaded it from Adobes webpage... but BeatNik provides an alternative to using Adobe... it is a program called iSwiff and it runs his program just fine on a Mac (its a free download and BeatNik provides the link to website)...

NOTE: I took the time to watch BeatNik's troubleshooting video prior to purchase and it answered my questions and made very simple sense to me... HE SHOWS YOU EXACTLY HOW TO DO IT...:p

Thank you! I was having the exact same problem with Adobe Flash Player! I guess I got frustrated before I got to that part of the help tutorial! I'll try this now.

Excellent! I can get the program to open now! Thank you Jinbe-GoGo. Now to spend some time messing with it...

I purchased the program as part of the special introductory deal to folks who sign up as members to his website. The program reminds me of some language programs where you recognize patterns: in this case, you can choose to see the chords or hear them. It is all about pattern and sound recognition. The program has worked solidly for me, though Adobe Flash is not my favorite kind of program, but this one is nicely done and has some visual taste, not garish as so much Flash can be. Yes, iSwiff will do the playing nicely on your Mac and is free.

You can work on different groups of chords and the developer seems very determined to keep the program working smoothly and with updates. I am impressed. The program will not learn for you: you will have to sit and listen and watch and apply yourself. Music is a lot about auditory recognition and that is something that can be trained to a degree in all of us. This is just one more tool to help with that. I think it is well worth the price, especially at the member discount.

The developer is also putting up some interesting, members-only sections to his website that are worth a look once you register with him (for free).

Just posted review of the Speak Ukulele software

Many have been asking questions about Nick "BeatNik" Night's "Speak Ukulele" software. I finally finished my review of it and posted it on my site (http://www.ukuDaily.com). Let me know if you have any questions. I am happy to lend a hand if you have some issues installing or whatever.

I second Mike at Mainland's necks. He gets them for cigar box enthusiasts from the folks who make his Ukes, so they're decent quality and reasonably priced.

I second Mike at Mainland's necks. He gets them for cigar box enthusiasts from the folks who make his Ukes, so they're decent quality and reasonably priced.
I think you posted your reply in the wrong thread? I don't think this has anything to do with the "Speak Ukulele" computer program . . .

Top Bottom