Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: uke can play review?

It was the chord recognition part that appealed to me. I've played bass for almost 30 years, and a teeny bit of guitar off and on, but ukulele is my first major foray into chords. At one point in the past, when I was in college, I could figure out chords by ear on guitar fairly well, but that was a long time ago. Some of the chord shapes on uke are really different. Learning where the root note is in the chord shape is particularly tricky for me (as a bass player, I am used to it being on the lowest string!). I haven't gotten the chords down well enough to always be able to tell by ear if a chord is a 7th, 9th, Diminished, etc. And the uke music I am most interested in uses a LOT of those sorts of chords.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1. Those who need closure.

ca. 1923-'27 Martin Style 3M, ca. 1927-'28 Martin Style 2M, 1950s Martin Style 1M, ca. 1930 Gibson Uke 3, Kiwaya KTS-7, Mainland Gloss Mahogany Soprano, Mainland Red Cedar Pineapple Soprano, Mainland Maple Soprano Banjo Uke, Flea Soprano, Maccaferri Islander Soprano and Baritone, et al...
    My paltry Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/user/ukecycle

We decided to order Speak Ukulele since we'd like to learn more about playing by ear. With the money back guarantee, it seemed worht a try. We haven't been able to get the program to download though, and now the link has expired. We sent an email to Beatnik a few hours ago. Still waiting for an answer.
    Ron and Jeanne

Kala tenor KK-SSTU-T and concert KK-SS-TU-C thin body travel ukes(Yogi and Booboo)
    Makala/Kala tenor MK-T 807 and concert MK-C 809 (Luke and Lele)
    Vintage (1968) Kent Harmony/Ohana Baritone (Clark) and
    Lanikai/Hohner Kohala soprano KU212 (Lois)
    Antonio Tsai electric soprano zebrawood ( Little Zee)

http://www.youtube.com/user/Heartstrings2009

Below is my initial review of "Speak Ukulele (By BeatNik)"...

Thoughts
    I was pretty skeptical about this website when I stumbled on it but I gave it a shot and I am happy that I did... Nothing shady happened after purchase... You can use PayPal or Credit Card...

I am new to ukulele and have been playing for almost one year... I have found that there are only a few really good tools (i.e. DVD's, Books, Webpages, Programs) out in the Ukulele world worth purchasing. This program is worth the purchase price ... Why?... Chords, Finger Positions, Audio, and PLAY BY EAR Mode... it is a Basic Program but it really, really compliments lessons given by Jim D'ville (DVD Play Ukulele By Ear)... This will get you up and running faster than trying to look at chord charts that you can't interact with and that don't make sound. I am glad that I found this early on in my Ukulele adventure... and although I am not an Advanced Uku-Player, I cannot image how it would not be useful to an advanced player as well.

If you want to see the initial tutorial mode of the program watch it on You Tube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9GwJV2viIk

Simple Questions Answered Up Front:
    - The program works on a Mac
    - The program works on Windows
    - Download was simple and quick

Items that Would Compliment this Software
    - DVD - Jim D'ville - DVD Play Ukulele By Ear
    - DVD - Dan Huckabee - Understanding the Formula of Music
    - Books - anything by Heeday Kimura !!! This guy is the Yoda of Ukulele... Seriously...
    - Webpage - Ukulele Underground

If your having trouble with the install here is the link for troubleshooting:
    http://ukecanplay.com/speak-uke-help.html

Problems:
    I had a few hick-ups once I downloaded the program from BeatNiks site... nothing major... the program downloaded just fine... but, for whatever reason my Mac didn't want to install Adobe Flash Player 10 after I downloaded it from Adobes webpage... but BeatNik provides an alternative to using Adobe... it is a program called iSwiff and it runs his program just fine on a Mac (its a free download and BeatNik provides the link to website)...

NOTE: I took the time to watch BeatNik's troubleshooting video prior to purchase and it answered my questions and made very simple sense to me... HE SHOWS YOU EXACTLY HOW TO DO IT...

Quote Originally Posted by Jinbe-GoGo View Post
    Below is my initial review of "Speak Ukulele (By BeatNik)"...

Thoughts
    I was pretty skeptical about this website when I stumbled on it but I gave it a shot and I am happy that I did... Nothing shady happened after purchase... You can use PayPal or Credit Card...

I am new to ukulele and have been playing for almost one year... I have found that there are only a few really good tools (i.e. DVD's, Books, Webpages, Programs) out in the Ukulele world worth purchasing. This program is worth the purchase price ... Why?... Chords, Finger Positions, Audio, and PLAY BY EAR Mode... it is a Basic Program but it really, really compliments lessons given by Jim D'ville (DVD Play Ukulele By Ear)... This will get you up and running faster than trying to look at chord charts that you can't interact with and that don't make sound. I am glad that I found this early on in my Ukulele adventure... and although I am not an Advanced Uku-Player, I cannot image how it would not be useful to an advanced player as well.

If you want to see the initial tutorial mode of the program watch it on You Tube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9GwJV2viIk

Simple Questions Answered Up Front:
    - The program works on a Mac
    - The program works on Windows
    - Download was simple and quick

Items that Would Compliment this Software
    - DVD - Jim D'ville - DVD Play Ukulele By Ear
    - DVD - Dan Huckabee - Understanding the Formula of Music
    - Books - anything by Heeday Kimura !!! This guy is the Yoda of Ukulele... Seriously...
    - Webpage - Ukulele Underground

If your having trouble with the install here is the link for troubleshooting:
    http://ukecanplay.com/speak-uke-help.html

Problems:
    I had a few hick-ups once I downloaded the program from BeatNiks site... nothing major... the program downloaded just fine... but, for whatever reason my Mac didn't want to install Adobe Flash Player 10 after I downloaded it from Adobes webpage... but BeatNik provides an alternative to using Adobe... it is a program called iSwiff and it runs his program just fine on a Mac (its a free download and BeatNik provides the link to website)...

NOTE: I took the time to watch BeatNik's troubleshooting video prior to purchase and it answered my questions and made very simple sense to me... HE SHOWS YOU EXACTLY HOW TO DO IT...
    Thank you! I was having the exact same problem with Adobe Flash Player! I guess I got frustrated before I got to that part of the help tutorial! I'll try this now.

ca. 1923-'27 Martin Style 3M, ca. 1927-'28 Martin Style 2M, 1950s Martin Style 1M, ca. 1930 Gibson Uke 3, Kiwaya KTS-7, Mainland Gloss Mahogany Soprano, Mainland Red Cedar Pineapple Soprano, Mainland Maple Soprano Banjo Uke, Flea Soprano, Maccaferri Islander Soprano and Baritone, et al...

Excellent! I can get the program to open now! Thank you Jinbe-GoGo. Now to spend some time messing with it...

Quote Originally Posted by ukuleledaddy View Post
    Chris,

I also have a Mac and am also an idiot when it comes to computers. If you figure it out, would you mind posting about it?
    I got it and have a iMac and it works just fine....

It plays inside of your web-browser.
    peace,

david

KoAloha Soprano
    KoAloha Pikake Concert
    KoAloha Tenor

I purchased the program as part of the special introductory deal to folks who sign up as members to his website. The program reminds me of some language programs where you recognize patterns: in this case, you can choose to see the chords or hear them. It is all about pattern and sound recognition. The program has worked solidly for me, though Adobe Flash is not my favorite kind of program, but this one is nicely done and has some visual taste, not garish as so much Flash can be. Yes, iSwiff will do the playing nicely on your Mac and is free.

You can work on different groups of chords and the developer seems very determined to keep the program working smoothly and with updates. I am impressed. The program will not learn for you: you will have to sit and listen and watch and apply yourself. Music is a lot about auditory recognition and that is something that can be trained to a degree in all of us. This is just one more tool to help with that. I think it is well worth the price, especially at the member discount.

The developer is also putting up some interesting, members-only sections to his website that are worth a look once you register with him (for free).

Default Just posted review of the Speak Ukulele software

Many have been asking questions about Nick "BeatNik" Night's "Speak Ukulele" software. I finally finished my review of it and posted it on my site (http://www.ukuDaily.com). Let me know if you have any questions. I am happy to lend a hand if you have some issues installing or whatever.
    Mike
    ukuDaily.com
    All things ukulele, daily.

I second Mike at Mainland's necks. He gets them for cigar box enthusiasts from the folks who make his Ukes, so they're decent quality and reasonably priced.

Quote Originally Posted by jkevinwolfe View Post
    I second Mike at Mainland's necks. He gets them for cigar box enthusiasts from the folks who make his Ukes, so they're decent quality and reasonably priced.
    I think you posted your reply in the wrong thread? I don't think this has anything to do with the "Speak Ukulele" computer program . . .

Nana ka maka; ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
    pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes; listen with the ears; shut the mouth.
    Thus one learns.

Thread Information