Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lefthanders?

Default lefthanders?

Hi! So I am still waiting anxiously by my mailbox for my first ukulele to come. It is my first stringed instrument, so I'm just completely excited and elated about learning to play!

Anyway, can anyone tell me their experiences as a lefthanded player? Should I really focus on trying to learn everything righthanded just for sake of simplicity, or will this in anyway impede my later progress? Does anyone actually strum with their left hand? I'd really love any advice/experiences!

Thanks guys@

By the beach in Sunny Southern California with a ukulele in hand.

Hi Remy,

I'm a lefthander. I play my uke lefty, but that's mainly because i started out on a guitar and was already used to it. I do sometimes wish I started out righty for the following reasons:

1. I had to learn to translate all published chord fingerings.
    2. People can't just pick up my ukulele and fall in love with it like you did.
    3. I can't just pick up someone's ukulele and play with it.
    4. It's hard to just try out ukes in the store when shopping for one.

I'm actually thinking about getting another uke and learn it righty too!

In the long run, am I better at playing it lefty? Dunno.

im not a lefty, but imho its best to learn righty. its not so much as playing the right or wrong way, but in practicallity. as DF said about its hard for him to test new ukes, or translate tabs/chords, the last thing is price price. If your playing your standard/pineapple uke its not so bad, but if you do get a eleuke or go to guitar (or any other instrament) it'll cost more to get lefty instrament.

in hte end its up to you, i would try right hand, if it feel akward then go to left. its not like we will e-lol at you.

may i ask what uke you got.

The most important thing if you play it lefty make sure it don't have a cutaway. 'Cause then you look silly.

I'd suggest bearing it out and playing right-handed. Just so it's handier to pick up any uke, and you wouldn't have to work out different ways of playing chords and tabs.

(my band, not something dirty)

Ok, I'm really glad I asked now. DF's reasons are all spot on! It actually didn't occur to me that I might want to pick up someone else's ukulele or share mine. I think for that reason alone, it's worthwhile to start out right handed if I can.

So, stupid newbie question #1 ... don't you think fingering is harder than strumming anyway? So why is it considered "right handed" to finger with your left hand?

Stupid newbie question #2 Do lefty instruments really cost more? Why is that? I thought I would just switch the strings to be upside down, or just learn to play them upside down, but is there anything else that would be different in a lefty uke/guitar?

Stupid newbie question #3- What is a "cutaway"? I certainly don't wanna look silly...

here's a picture of a cutaway.

http://www.besthawaiianukulele.com/s...nd-KA-6EBK.jpg

it's kinda like many electric guitars. the cutaway section allows for easier reach for the higher frets. if you play lefty, the cutaway would be on the top as opposed to the bottom, therefore defeating the purpose of having it haha. one of the members, terrel, had some vids of him playing and he's left handed.

Hi we teach various instruments at our shop...consider the following...

Are there left-handed pianos? Are there left-handed saxophones? And so on?
    The answer is of course, no.

We found that as long as a left-hander hasn't played left-handed before, there's no issue with learning guitar or uke right-handed. Some of our best players are actually left-handed and play right-handed. So, just start playing right-handed.

Left-handed instruments are in general more expensive. I have not come across a case where the price was the same (though I am sure there are some nice makers out there). Simply because of economy of scale - there are less left-handers so average production cost is higher.

With steel-string guitars or electric guitars you couldn't just swap the strings around. They are built a certain way. Even with an acoustic, the bracing is designed a certain way, to accomodate bass tones at one end and treble on the other end, you will need to replace the compensated saddle etc. A lot of hassle. Plus you will always have an extremely limited choice of instruments, because generally makers only make a few left-handed models (and certainly colours). These are important reasons not to play left-handed too.

Need I say more? Just play right-handed!

Quote Originally Posted by remy View Post

So, stupid newbie question #1 ... don't you think fingering is harder than strumming anyway? So why is it considered "right handed" to finger with your left hand?

Stupid newbie question #2 Do lefty instruments really cost more? Why is that? I thought I would just switch the strings to be upside down, or just learn to play them upside down, but is there anything else that would be different in a lefty uke/guitar?

Stupid newbie question #3- What is a "cutaway"? I certainly don't wanna look silly...
    (my views does not actually equal what everyone else thinks)
    1) its actually the opposite, the tone and volume of your playing is produced by the right hand, which imo, is the the most important part of playing an instrument. so right handed players at the dawn of time, strummed with their right hand. also when people bow (for cello) it takes quite a bit of control to get the correct amount of tone and volume.

2) see what gaby said, hes spot on.

3) a cut away is the design of a guitar/uke http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutaway_%28guitar%29

i hoped i helped, obviously these are my views. dont take them completely seriously.

edit: 2) see what gaby said, SHES spot on
    Last edited by h-drix; 06-01-2008 at 03:15 AM.

Hey! I am a SHE!

I'm a lefty who plays right-handed, for most of the reasons noted above.

You'll be happier in the long run to just go with it.

(Oh yeah. I'm a he.)
    Howlin' Hobbit -- got uke?
    Howlin' on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Bandcamp

Thread Information