Thread: Backing tracks, jam tracks

Default Backing tracks, jam tracks

Recently been gathering some backing tracks - mostly blues and jass - for solo jamming. There are quite a few online, some quite good, a lot more mediocre.

What sources do you use for your jam tracks? Or do you even use them?

Has anyone found a source for folk/acoustic backing tracks? Most I've found are electric or synthesized, often midi-based and a digitally dry.

I'd also like some more orchestral-style tracks, with strings, classical-style, or Alan Parsons-style richness. Anyone come across any of those? If so, can you share the URL?

I'm also looking for some good loops I can use in my Boss JS-8.
    Ian
    -------------------------------------------
    Utque sacerdotis fugitivus liba recuso
    pane egeo mellitis potiore placentis.

I'm like that priest's slave who ran away because
    They fed him honey cakes and he longed for bread.

Horace: Epistle X
    Ukulele reviews * Vintage Uke Music * Tequila * Henry Hudson * Harmonica reviews * Blog

I don't really use them much, but Garageband has oodles of cool loops (even acoustic/folky/country ones) that one can easily drag-and-drop into backing tracks.

JJ
    "Talent is just a pursued interest. In other words, anything you are willing to practice, you can do." -- Bob Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Ukulele JJ View Post
    I don't really use them much, but Garageband has oodles of cool loops (even acoustic/folky/country ones) that one can easily drag-and-drop into backing tracks.

JJ
    Don't have GB. The eBand has loops too, but I'm looking for external files I can port to the eBand, and also edit/massage them in software outside the hardware.
    Ian

Ukulele reviews * Vintage Uke Music * Tequila * Henry Hudson * Harmonica reviews * Blog

Quote Originally Posted by ichadwick View Post
    Recently been gathering some backing tracks - mostly blues and jass - for solo jamming. There are quite a few online, some quite good, a lot more mediocre.

What sources do you use for your jam tracks? Or do you even use them?

Has anyone found a source for folk/acoustic backing tracks? Most I've found are electric or synthesized, often midi-based and a digitally dry.

I'd also like some more orchestral-style tracks, with strings, classical-style, or Alan Parsons-style richness. Anyone come across any of those? If so, can you share the URL?

I'm also looking for some good loops I can use in my Boss JS-8.
    Would you mind sharing where you found the tracks? Most of the places I've checked for backing tracks have asked a fee. I wouldn't mind making my own tracks but it is nice to have it available for use right away (with only minimal modification). In my searches, I've never found anything with a more folk-acoustic bent, though I agree it would be awesome to have.

Side note - just looked up the JS-8, and it looks like it can do a lot of cool stuff.
    Current Gear -
    - Mainland Tenor (Plain Jane) w/MiSi (!!)
    ---
    Music Blog

Guitar Center's King of the Blues contest website has a bunch of bluesy backing tracks recorded by Pete Anderson (formerly Dwight Yoakam's lead guitarist).

"Everything I do gonh be funky from now on" - Allen Toussaint.

Try ralphpatt.com

Lots of tracks, but a lot synthesized. Also his vanilla chord book, it is the best I've seen.
    I hope we can meet some day. I play mostly 20's and 30's music.
    Bill, in London
    Last edited by megavox; 06-09-2010 at 03:07 PM.
    Flea Tiki King Soprano
    OME Artist Megavox, Plectrum Banjo

Hi, i found a simple midi to wav. converter on the internet, just google it.

How it works i have no idea, but it does make the midi file sound a lot better. Might be worth a try if u have a midi file that you like to jam along too.

Here are some of the sites I've found:
    www.guitarbt.com/index.php?page=dl_list&cat=Jam%20Trackshttp://www.bluesblast.com/index.html
    www.jamtracks.ru/en/mpjam.htmlwww.freejamtracks.com/play-guitar-blues-05.html
    www.guitarbackingtrack.com/bands/A.htm
    Some of these open into the middle of the list, because that's where I bookmarked it. It's easy to figure out how to move around and find tracks on them, however.

I also found Ralph Phatt's excellent resource page, but a lot of his tracks are in odd - probably but not always original - keys. They for jazz, which often means horns, and they're often a bit difficult for uke play-along. At least I find them a bit difficult. Ditto with his Vanilla Book - a good resource for other instruments but uke players need to transpose a lot of his keys. Some of his arrangements are cool, but they're not the 'standard' or original arrangement, either. But still a good resource and worth working up my skills to be able to play along or transpose.

For solo playing and some small scale jamming, the JS-8/eBand is great. Tons of amp sims, effects and 300 loops built in (another 50 or so on the Boss web site). You can easily mix and match amps, loops and effects, have a second effect for solo play, and tweak effects, then store them as user patches. You can load songs/looks/effects from an SD card or USB drive, and it connects to the computer for file transfer and CD ripping. It's basically a
    band-in-a-box type amp, with emphasis on the effects (it's small - great portability). Speakers are small, however, and output is not really stage-ready.

I wrestled whether to get this or the new Fender GDEC in the same price range. It has a lot of superb backing tracks, and effects - plus it's a good stand-alone amp (and much bigger). The big thing for Fender is that the backing tracks were recored by well-known, live musicians, so they have a really nice, warm feel about them. But it's bigger, and has somewhat fewer effects and tracks. I'd own both if I could, but right now am limited to just one. It was a tough choice.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by RevWill View Post
    Guitar Center's King of the Blues contest website has a bunch of bluesy backing tracks recorded by Pete Anderson (formerly Dwight Yoakam's lead guitarist).
    Great find. 30 or so solid blues songs to work with. Thanks.
    Ian

I've been searching for backing tracks too. Checked out the JS-8 and it looks great, but not what I'm after uke jamming. For guitar it looks great, and very similar (perhaps better) to the GDEC I used to have when I thought I was going to learn electric guitar. I may end up just buying a Zoom h4n and make my own strumming tracks for songs I want to learn and then record solo lines to that. Anyone else doing that?

Thread Information