Paul McCartney's UKE?

rock_and_roll_camera

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was looking for a video recently of a song George Harrison used to play on the uke. I just remeber it being played at Concert for George, maybe by his son I think? Anyway, that was the reason my dad started playing uke and I thought I'd try and find it so I could learn it. Well I still can't find it so any help would be great.

Upon my searches though videos kept apperaing titled Paul McCartney ukulele tribute to George and such so ever curious I clicked on one and was suprised to see that it was Paul on tour giving a little story about how George loved playing uke and Paul had taken it up and learned one of Georges songs. George gave Paul a uke and it was this that he played with, it was Something that he played, and quite simple too, just strumming, but very very nice.

Just wondered out of curiosity what uke people think it was. It just like an vintage no brand, but very beautiful and all together lovely sounding uke.

I had a bizzare day on Saturday, I was meant to be going out wuth the boys later on in the night when suddenly they all cancelled. Gutted, I'd been looking forward to that night for ages. Anyway, within a few minutes the phone goes and its my girlfriend's mum, she says: "We just got free Paul McCartney tickets for tonight, do you wanna come?" Hell yeah! We were out the flat, on the train and in Cardiff within the hour (good going for me actually!) Well, having seen this video I wondered if he'd play it this time around and sure enough he did!

It was amazing! I nudged my girlfriend when he came on with it and said "See, even Macca plays uke!" and she rolled her eyes in a jokey way! Must be a think with Liverpool lads called Paul such as me good self!? :p He even played our song "Something" obv. which I think has given her a bit more respect for the uke perhaps? Great night, he played that same uke too and it was lovely. Just really strange, for weeks leading up to the concert my local radio station had been giving away tickets everyday and I hadn't managed to win any. Also my brother (who still lives up in Liverpool) was after tickets too! All of a sudden my girlfriend's mum and dad get offered six free tickets out the blue. What are the chances!? They took four and invited us along. My brother was sick with envy, especially knowing that had he have been down to visit there would have been a ticket for him!

Awesome night! Sorry to babble on a load of crap, was gonna post this anyway asking about the uke then obv. that night happened and well... I had to tell you all!...

Aloha Rock-and-roll-camera<
I remember a long time ago I seen a video of the beatles on a picnic and Paul
and George playing the ukulele on I think it was You tube...try and check it out...

this is not the exact same ukulele, but I am pretty sure this is what the headstock looks like.
180U-959_headstock-front.jpg

gibuke.jpg

Aloha Rock-and-roll-camera<
I remember a long time ago I seen a video of the beatles on a picnic and Paul
and George playing the ukulele on I think it was You tube...try and check it out...
Go to You Tube and Punch in: Beatles Ukulele the look on the list for,
Ain't she sweet- McCartney & Harrison on ukulele + Ringo (1994)

Paul may own a decent collection of ukes. Yes, there is a very nice tenor that was a gift from George, but he also played uke on "Ram On" from the album Ram from the days when he and George weren't getting along so well.

The one Paul plays in the "Concert For George" is a vintage Gibson. I couldn't tell if it was a concert or a tenor. He also played the same one when I saw him in '04 or '05. He says George gave it to him. But yeah, he may well own more than that. He's Paul Freakin-McCartney! He could buy pretty much any ukulele he wanted, lol.

The headstock on the one George is playing in that video "kinda" resembles Hofner. The manufacure that built Paul's fiddle bodied bass. Not "quite" the same, but similar.. Just sayin..

The headstock on the one George is playing in that video "kinda" resembles Hofner. The manufacure that built Paul's fiddle bodied bass. Not "quite" the same, but similar.. Just sayin..

Yeah, but it's "Mote depnitly" a Gibson, lol.

I think George gave Paul several ukuleles over the years. I remember an interview with Paul remembering how he would ask George "Why do you always give me ukuleles?" or something like that. I think George's response was something along the lines of making sure Paul always had a uke handy, so that George wouldn't have to bring one for him.

–Lori

The song is called I'll See You in my dreams. Do you want a copy?

Tom Petty tells a great story of George stopping by his house with 4 ukes as a gift. He told Petty, "this one's better than the other three." When Tom asked why he was giving him all four, George said "You never know when we all might be over and want to play them."

Aloha Rock-n-roll-camera,
I found another you tube video of Paul mention of a uke given to hin by george. Go to You Tube
Paul McCartney Ukulele and click Paul McCartney Something live at Anfeild liverpool/1st june 2008..
Paul mentions it .43 seceonds of the video...and this one looks like a tenor gibson, I think..

The song is called I'll See You in my dreams. Do you want a copy?

Of course, that's not McCartney doing "I'll See You in My Dreams" on the "Concert for George" video. It's Joe Brown (who does a very nice job, btw, on a Martin). McCartney plays uke at the beginning of "Something" on that DVD, before it transforms into the more usual arrangement with the full band.

Top Bottom