Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to clean an ukulele/eleuke?

Default How to clean an ukulele/eleuke?

Hi all,

I've had my kala tenor w/ laminate finish for a while now, and I just wanted to know how to clean/polish it (it's got quite a few smudges).

Also, I just bought a rosewood eleuke, and was wondering what's the best way to clean/polish rosewood.

Thanks!

Dr Ducks Axe Wax, it's great.
    Royal mahogany concert
    Gretsch mahogany soprano x 2
    Ashton Soprano
    Isaac Ware cedar top soprano
    Mahalo Smilie soprano
    Tanglewood mahogany cutaway soprano TU1-CE

is this product safe on rosewood as well?

any other suggestions?

Any guitar cleaner / polish will work.
    Purple Makala Dolphin : Mahalo Camp Uke : Mainland Red Cedar Pineapple Porthos : Lanikai O8-E Honey : Mainland Red Cedar Soprano Panties : Ohana Sopranino Short Round : Islander Soprano : Mainland Mahogany Tenor Tank Jr : Kala KM-FMB : Makai PK-55 Inspiration : Vintage Blackstone Baritone : Bluegrass Cedar top Tenor : Zebrawood Fishuku
    Youtube : Facebook : Twitter

How dirty is it?
    I've never formally cleaned my ukes before. Most I did was just wipe it a bit with a polishing cloth...

If you have a rag you use for dusting furniture, use that. I use Pledge with lemon oil in it. Go really light with the polish, or don't use any and just rub with the cloth lightly if you want. That's usually what I do with my guitars. It hasn't harmed any of the wood on those. If you want to avoid making the instrument slick, don't rub that area too much (like the back of the guitar). I work the neck pretty good with the polishing rag because then it improves the action
    Last edited by stonecutter2; 07-21-2010 at 06:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stonecutter2 View Post
    If you have a rag you use for dusting furniture, use that. I use Pledge with lemon oil in it. Go really light with the polish, or don't use any and just rub with the cloth lightly if you want. That's usually what I do with my guitars. It hasn't harmed any of the wood on those. If you want to avoid making the instrument slick, don't rub that area too much (like the back of the guitar). I work the neck pretty good with the polishing rag because then it improves the action
    I agree with stonecutter on everything he said. Pledge with lemon oil in it works great on all my ukes and guitars, and I've never had a problem with it harming the wood or the finish regardsless of satin or gloss.

awesome! thanks guys!

I just use lemon oil. No, not the commercial furniture polishes, but just regular plain lemon oil. You can get it at essential oil places. It takes very little tho. Put a drop or two on a soft cotton cloth, and just rub it in. It will clean it (unless of course it has a bunch of crap all over it), and it conditions the wood to help prevent cracking.
    Mahalo Ke Akua
    ------------------
    Ohana SK-35 a.k.a. "IZ"
    Ohana SK-21 a.k.a. "Ku'u poki'i <Kapookie>"
    Lanikai LU-21 a.k.a. "Cinderella"
    Epiphone Les Paul Concert Uke "Lil' Lester"
    Harmony Banjo Uke a.k.a. "Bango"
    Gibson Les Paul a.k.a. "Hobo Ted"
    Epiphone Les Paul Studio a.k.a. "Barnabas"
    Epiphone Les Paul a.k.a. "Blaze"
    Gretsch Tenor Banjo a.k.a. "Jed"
    Supertone 406, 5 string Banjo a.k.a. "GrandPa Jones"
    Fernendes Telecaster "Suemeh"

I find all the polishing advice to be sound. For fretboards I use a commercial fretboard conditioner (don't have the brand name right now) to keep it from drying out, and cleaning all the crud off. When I can't find it, vegetable oil works great.
    Last edited by ukecantdothat; 07-21-2010 at 02:42 PM.
    Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana - Two octaves and the truth!

http://www.youtube.com/ukecantdothat

Thread Information