How to clean an ukulele/eleuke?

maki720

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've had my kala tenor w/ laminate finish for a while now, and I just wanted to know how to clean/polish it (it's got quite a few smudges).

Also, I just bought a rosewood eleuke, and was wondering what's the best way to clean/polish rosewood.

Thanks!

Dr Ducks Axe Wax, it's great.

is this product safe on rosewood as well?

any other suggestions?

Any guitar cleaner / polish will work.

If you have a rag you use for dusting furniture, use that. I use Pledge with lemon oil in it. Go really light with the polish, or don't use any and just rub with the cloth lightly if you want. That's usually what I do with my guitars. It hasn't harmed any of the wood on those. If you want to avoid making the instrument slick, don't rub that area too much (like the back of the guitar). I work the neck pretty good with the polishing rag because then it improves the action :)

Last edited:
If you have a rag you use for dusting furniture, use that. I use Pledge with lemon oil in it. Go really light with the polish, or don't use any and just rub with the cloth lightly if you want. That's usually what I do with my guitars. It hasn't harmed any of the wood on those. If you want to avoid making the instrument slick, don't rub that area too much (like the back of the guitar). I work the neck pretty good with the polishing rag because then it improves the action :)

I agree with stonecutter on everything he said. Pledge with lemon oil in it works great on all my ukes and guitars, and I've never had a problem with it harming the wood or the finish regardsless of satin or gloss.

I just use lemon oil. No, not the commercial furniture polishes, but just regular plain lemon oil. You can get it at essential oil places. It takes very little tho. Put a drop or two on a soft cotton cloth, and just rub it in. It will clean it (unless of course it has a bunch of crap all over it), and it conditions the wood to help prevent cracking.

I find all the polishing advice to be sound. For fretboards I use a commercial fretboard conditioner (don't have the brand name right now) to keep it from drying out, and cleaning all the crud off. When I can't find it, vegetable oil works great.

Last edited:
I have been using Martin Guitar Polish on my uke and Ernie Ball Fretboard Conditioner. I have been using the Martin Polish for years on my guitars and the Ernie Ball Conditioner for over a year now. It works good for me.

Top Bottom