Add a "luthier's" section?

dave g

Reaction score
That's mostly where I find myself posting at the Cosmos.

I freely admit to being more of a builder than a player, so it seems like an appropriate place to post things about current projects without coming across as crass self-promotion. I mean, you know... that's what it's for :).

And a lot of the non-builders seem to enjoy stopping in as well. Just an idea...

I really like the idea of this, especially when more and more people begin to embark on the journey of luthiery. WIP (work-in-progress) threads could be made there to organize and make a journal of the process (like acabooe).

It's a great idea, for repairs as well as building. It would be a really practical and useful addition to the forum. Good one.

a section under uke talk would be cool, if it gets big enough then it could be moved to the front page.

This would be sweet, I loved following the progress of Acabooe's build. It's always nice to see something come together.

I support the idea as well. I have sonsidered building my own uke, so connecting with those who have experience is always a good thing. :D

What a great idea. I also enjoyed Acabooe's progress. I'm sure it would help people building their own What brave people!

No skills as a woodworker to every attempt to build a uke. But have always been interested in the design concepts and building techniques of the uke. A Luthier Section would be real helpful in more or less consolidating the whole range of elements that are involved in building, maintenance, repair and set up of the 'ukulele. There are probably a few members of this site that are luthiers. This will give them an opportunity to share their knowledge and link their sites. Discovering the many relatively "unknown" builders out there through exposure on this site would be interesting.

Budding Luthier

That would be great to have a Luthier's section. I just ordered a kit from Hana Lima Ia and I am going to try a concert uke. Wish me luck!!:D

That would be great to have a Luthier's section. I just ordered a kit from Hana Lima Ia and I am going to try a concert uke. Wish me luck!!:D

oooo good luck. i'm considering of going down to their shop and picking a kit up too but i'm wondering if i should just make one out of plywood first for practice. i also read that their manual is available at public libraries so i'm gonna check that out too.

I'm in full support!
Not to take anything away from UU, I love it, but if there are any beginner builders out there like me i found hana lima's forums to be very helpful. Lots of people who know there stuff if your interested

THIS IS A BLAST!

Time is fast approachin' for Meat 'n Taters Ukulele Intensive at Blue Stone Folk School near Indianapolis.

Imagine a week of studyin' with the likes of Pops Bayless and Mark "Marko" "Spanky" Gutierrez with a small motivated group! You can even build your own soprano with Geoff Davis! We have a blast and play together every evening.

The week ends with a huge concert featuring students, instructors and central Indiana.

We'll work with you to help with transportation and lodging issues.

Meat ‘n Taters Ukulele Intensive
July 6 - 12
Blue Stone Folk School
Noblesville, IN
www.bluestonefolkschool.org

THIS IS A BLAST!

Time is fast approachin' for Meat 'n Taters Ukulele Intensive at Blue Stone Folk School near Indianapolis.

I'm really tempted to come out and meet you guys this summer... I went to another event out in Nashville last year - cool area :)

Maybe too soon for this posting. No problems with me if the moderators feel this an inappropriate post and delete it.

I subscribe to the stewmac newsletter. Just received newsletter #63. How to make a nut. Their site has a good free info section that details the process of nut making. This newsletter adds a few more helpful hints. I've made a couple nuts out of a blank chunk of ebony guitar fretboard. If I can create a decent nut following these instructions anyone can.

i also support this idea.

I was actually just about to post a new thread on uke talk asking about luthiery.

I am really considering being an instrument builder when i am older, so i have many questions. i think this would be a great new addition to the forums!

happpy strumming as always,

nikolo

I want to add instrument-building to my list of hobbies. I don't know what I'm doing, so a luthier section would be tremendous.

Top Bottom