Add a "luthier's" section?

Oh Luthiers where for art thou!

I started July with my ukulele building project. After receiving the kit from Hana Lima Ia and looking at the various pieces and work involved, I am giving myself until December to complete my concert size ukulele! It will be a Bubinga (I think it's also known as African Rosewood) sides & back with Engelman spruce soundboard and ebony fret board on mahogany neck. Tonight I finished cutting out the plates! I tried with the coping saw, it took me a while with the spruce. :rolleyes: Decided it would take me the whole night to cut the Bubinga piece with the saw, so I ended up using a jigsaw and that was so much easier! Lucky for me that my husband is in construction and have some tools I could used! ;) The next step with a neck seems a bit tricky and then of course the bending of the sides... That might be a whole week of thinking before I proceed with it! There are some great websites that has been helpful and of course Hana Lima Ia's forum is another great resource!!

Attachments

• Step1.jpg
    Step1.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Soundplate1.jpg
    Soundplate1.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 23
I started July with my ukulele building project. After receiving the kit from Hana Lima Ia and looking at the various pieces and work involved, I am giving myself until December to complete my concert size ukulele! It will be a Bubinga (I think it's also known as African Rosewood) sides & back with Engelman spruce soundboard and ebony fret board on mahogany neck. Tonight I finished cutting out the plates! I tried with the coping saw, it took me a while with the spruce. :rolleyes: Decided it would take me the whole night to cut the Bubinga piece with the saw, so I ended up using a jigsaw and that was so much easier! Lucky for me that my husband is in construction and have some tools I could used! ;) The next step with a neck seems a bit tricky and then of course the bending of the sides... That might be a whole week of thinking before I proceed with it! There are some great websites that has been helpful and of course Hana Lima Ia's forum is another great resource!!

Can't wait to see the finished product!

Mods - A luthier section would be nice....

it'll be great to see what it'll look like in the end. keep us posted about your progress, i'll be glad to keep tabs on it :D

The Hana Lima Ia guide is wat i am using to create my tenor!

Can't wait to see the finished product!

Mods - A luthier section would be nice....

YEA! make a luthiers section or or or we will.....eProtest... lol but srsly a luthiers section would be a great addition!

Ukulele swanlet,
Great job so far, and good luck.

I am currently attending Hana Lima Ia school, and I am building from almost the same kit that you are. The only difference is that i am using a western red cedar soundboard. I have already gone to three classes, and I have another tomorrow. I am working on some at my home too, so that i can start to sell them as well.

I like the idea of a luthier page.

Aloha
Bob

Big MAHALOS to the moderators!

I look forward to seeing the great ukulele's being crafted out there in the new section. Some day I'll give it a shot myself!

wow, i never thought about a luthiers section
thanks for adding it admin's ;)

Top Bottom