Uke contest ?!

I too am holding off on a contest i was intending to hold, with a $250 uke prize...ironically the contests topic is all about good will, something I'm ashamed to say is lacking in some folks around here lately....Not an attempt to punish folks but as someone mentioned somewhere "They (I in this case) don't have to GIVE something away)" I hope i hear something heartwarming soon enough, that i may change my mind. Maybe i'll just give away a prize to the Person i find being NICE on the forums...infact check the contest pages IT HAS been done

It is precisely because of comments like this that UU has chosen to hold off on contests for now. The implication that the winners were not deserving of the prizes that they won goes against what UU is all about.

Easy seeso, I wasn't trying to strike a chord (HI-YO) with you. I was just saying that I'd be too busy celebrating my good fortune at winning a cool new uke to bother doting over the comments on my video. And besides, ukulele videos constantly get bumped to the top of youtube's suggested videos queue. It's just a matter of time before trolls take over any popular video.

Easy seeso, I wasn't trying to strike a chord (HI-YO) with you. I was just saying that I'd be too busy celebrating my good fortune at winning a cool new uke to bother doting over the comments on my video. And besides, ukulele videos constantly get bumped to the top of youtube's suggested videos queue. It's just a matter of time before trolls take over any popular video.

I know you weren't trying to start anything with me. UU is not taking a break from contests because of YouTube comments. Please read the entire thread. UU is taking a break because of posts on UU.

everyone who plays Ukulele at this contest deserves a price !!!!!!!! BUUTT someone who use a loop machine and more hours of editing than he´s actually practising for the song does NOT DESERVE A PRICE !!!! its a Uke contest and not an editing contest !! You can play with a mate or alone...

Lennard~ I think that it's the final result that matters. If it comes out sounding right in the end, that's really what matters. If the end result fits the contest it was intended for, then what difference is it to anyone else but the person holding the contest in the first place? The only one who can set that kind of precedent is the person putting the contest on. They have the right to say, no effects, or single take videos only, or whatever. But I can honestly say that I would be confident anyone on this board would likely take those things into consideration.

UU is about love and community and bringing together people with a common thread of interest.

But like I said, it's not up to you to choose the contest restrictions unless you're the one putting on the contest. I'm sorry you feel that way.

nicely said :) ...I see your point now, but I think we should keep this a pure Uke contest as well as a low budget contest, so that everyone can take part and upload a video. Otherways the guy with the biggest stash of money wins ? Is that really what you want ? You said: "UU is about love and community and bringing together people with a common thread of interest." UU contest is not about bringing people together if they allow people to increase their chances with using as much other stuff as possible, because it has nothing to do with equal chances and the origin of the Uke...you see my point of view ?... c ya

Haven't been around or a while, so I missed the Drama, but I still wanna butt in a little.

Otherways the guy with the biggest stash of money wins ?

I don't think that could happen here on UU. Heck, if I had the fanciest Uke, the bestest recording gear etc. I probably still wouldn't win against* the many awesome ukers on this board. Not that that would stop me from having fun. Actually, the opposite might be true, I bet any jury would love to see people shredding Dolphins or Panjoleles (check it out - it's awesome!) like there's no tomorrow.

Even if people, as you put it, "use a loop machine and more hours of editing than actually practising for the song", they're giving it their best shot at making a good vid, and deserve to win the contest just like anyone else.

How did I get on that soap box? Sorry, won't happen again. Taking out my uke now :eek:

*man that just sounds wrong :D

Man I clearly missed all this drama, but here's my two-cents on the matter:

Ukulele is about love and acceptance. The reason that I began playing ukulele in the first place is because it put a smile on my face the first time I heard it, and it still puts a smile on my face today. Jake said something about his views on the ukulele that I'd like to share with ya'll and that I think really touches on the essence of ukulele.

Sure, learning any musical instrument can be a great challenge, but here's a little secret – the ukulele is one of the easiest instruments to learn, as well as one of the most affordable. This tiny, four-string instrument is a universe of joy and healing, with a childlike quality about it that returns us to our youth and energizes our mind, body and spirit. Finally, I believe that everything in our universe is connected. We are all intertwined in a web of energy. Music helps us to tap into that energy and discover things we never thought possible by allowing us to express ourselves. And, by simply expressing who we are, we project positive energy back into the universe, which ultimately makes this world a better place.

Frankly all this talk about people hating on each other here disturbs me, I'm here because the community on UU is known for being accepting of everyone, helpful, and just downright awesome. So let's get over this old hate, and bring back that awesomeness and that spirit that I know is in every single one of us ukulele players.

Peace, Love, and Ukulele!

I am so sad to hear about the negativity. I just joined UU, and that rock ukulele contest was the first contest that I watched.

There were so many truly great videos, and they were of very different styles. It was obvious that the judging would be subjective. That is totally fine. All of the winning videos, were deserving. I really, really enjoyed watching them. Some of them made me smile and bop my head, a couple others actually gave me goose bumps. (silly, but true.)

I am not surprised that a bad apple pops up occasionally, but hopefully that will be the remote exception.

Great work on all your videos. It amazes me that there are so many talented people inside my computer box.

bobj

Top Bottom