Taropatch uke

Sven

Reaction score
I am thinking of building a taropatch. Actually, the thinking has been done for me by a friend who wants one. I haven't been very successful in finding info, most of my searches have led to pages like this. Even though it's funny it's no help.

My thoughts so far is a fan braced concert body with perhaps a tad wider neck. And one of those very long headstocks. Does anyone have any experience from building these?

Thanks, and atb / Sven

Hi Sven,

I made mine with a 1.5 inch nut, and doubled strings about 2.5mm apart at the nut and 3mm at the bridge. On the octave pair of Gs put the higher one on top, it is easier to pick it alone. I couldnt find concert 8 string sets, but I used tenor strings on a concert scale, and it sounds good. I braced them about 25% heavier than a 4 string and it seemed to be ok. Top thickness was about .15mm thicker than normal too. Those Schaler mandolin tuners work real well, its the best way I found to keep length and weight down on the headstock. This is only based on 3 instruments. Im sure someone else will come along and trump all of this, but it is a place to start discussion anyway.

Take care,
Thomas

I did some searching around and found this page:
Konabob's Taro Patch Steel Guitar Home Page

Granted the guy's making steel lap guitars, he makes it sound like the tuning is all that matters.
He keeps saying "Taro Patch tuning," at any rate, so it seems like (D-G-D-G-B-D) is the way to go.

He also mentions an open G tuning (D-G-G-G-B-D), G6th (G-D-E-G-B-D), and a reenntrant G6th (E-G-D-G-B-D). I still have no idea how this would even work, so you might try emailing Kona Bob and asking him to elaborate. His email and phone number are at the bottom of his page.

Taropatch is a slack-key guitar tuning as well as an instrument. Konabob won't be much help, I think.

Sven, Mike DaSilva has made quite a few Martin Replicas and may have a taropatch in his collection - might be worth contacting him.

Great idea Sven. I've also been thinking of building a taropatch for a while.
My plan was gonna do the neck and string spacing like Thomas said. I'd use a concert size with 3 fan braces instead of 2 and enlarge the bridge patch some as well. Now I just need to get all those other project out of the way and do it :rolleyes:

Thanks for the answers, now my friend has decided that I should try to make it a soprano size. I'll see how that goes! Maybe a concert neck...

Aaron, please post pics when you get the time.

Sven

Thanks Aaron, I didn't see it yesterday. That looks really good, and sort of with the level of detail I use when building. I'll be using wooden pegs as usual though, to keep weight down. (And because I have them, and because I'm lazy...)

Sven

bump to make sure sven saw these pics
you going to do a sound clip? That would be interesting to hear. Very traditional looking body shape.

Top Bottom