Post your favorite Hawai'ian songs

I'm gonna try and compile all the info from that Hawaiian Mele thread to make one list. I'll format to include lyrics, chords, and video. It might take a while with everything else I have going on, so your patience will be appreciated.

Kanaka...that would be awesome!!!!

MAHALO!!!!!

Eh, Kanaka, not only awesome, but big kokua fo'guys li' us who maybe no mo' da stuff li'dat.

Mahalo for your hard work on our behalf. (ie, tanx aeh?)

I posted my list of favorite songs I like to play in another thread and Kanaka916 linked them to YT vids. Here is that excellent post...
List of Mele and Vids

Mahalo, Kanaka! All the meles I've learned are beautiful and fun to play, but as I try to expand my repertoire of meles, I thought it would be helpful to get input from this community. I think what you're planning to do will be very helpful for a lot of people.

I recently got John King's collection of ukulele solos and duets, which has a lot of Ernest Ka'ai's instrumental music in it. Pretty much any of those is pure magic. And there's one where you have to get a 2-2-2-9 stretch (don't have it in front of me), which on my concert neck is just about manageable. But it's all lovely stuff. Highly recommended, and not nearly so taxing on the brain and fingers as the Classical Ukulele compilation.

Singing phonetically is the tough part. Without someone to guide you along, it's hard to get the song correct. Chords have a voice of their own, but without the lyrics, many traditional Hawaiian songs sound much like any other song.

Still, with this thread as a resource, I'll give it a whack. And I'll get the Canogahana Players in the game as well. Should be fun.

I've done a little bit of work on the thread, just need some feedback . . . Mahaloz!

Wahine Ilikea is definitely a good one. Another of my favorites is Opae E

White Sandy Beach please. I couldn't get Dominators stuff to open in pdf.

I stared a similar listing but it's difficult to find quality YT vids and audio. Add to the fact since TSH went down creates another hurdle locating chords and lyrics.

here is my version of Kanaka Wai Wai

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVH3UZg09TY

It was hot as hell that day (100F) and I was very ill so not the best performance , but sincere.
not sure about my pronunciation, Ive only been studying the hawaiian language a year and still struggle with getting the `okina and kahako right with certain words , espeicaly when being sung. I am startign to get a feel for sentence structure and word recognition though.

I includd the lyrics with translation and chords iin the info. unfortuntatly youtub screwed up the order of the chords over the lyrics a bit.

Top Bottom