The Tree quilted mahogany for uke sets

Your comments are missing the point of my post.

Sorry, my bad, I thought this board was about building ukuleles....

Anyway, Chuck Moore, Pete Howlett and Ken Timm have all commented on your post already. Take their advice - in my experience it's the best your going to get anywhere.

thank you Bruce. That has been what a rough guess from the guitar folks I've been dealing with have been thinking, but with very little confidence. Of course "should" and will are quite far apart I realize.

Jay

Pricing tonewood is very difficult these days, and just plain weird.....
Especially when you start dealing in mythological trees... ;)

But pricing anything in the tonewood world is difficult, because you see such incredible variations in pricing out there...
Something that I might sell for 25 bucks, I see all the time selling (yes, selling) for 100.00....

There's no standard pricing, like you might see for just about anything else out there....

Hope this helps.....

So why did you bother posting if you already knew the answer. And let's be honest here - your sole purpose for joining the forum was for free market research - don't try and dress it up as anything else or try to rebutt with a spurious sarcastic dig at me cos it won't work. I'm British and known for straight talking, uncovering the buffalo droppings under the chair and judging by your response it's what you need :) Honestly... some folk :)

Last edited:
And I'll bring the horse :) You know e guys - stick my neck out for anyone.... On a completely different note :) How accurate is the portrayal of life in hawaiian as resperented by the remake of Hawaii Five 0. I love the seris and the latest e[pisode showed a cute kid playing a KoAloha in the reggae style. he had a great voice to :)

It amuses me that this has turned into a discussion about shameless self promotion. Just look at half the signatures of those who've posted here, including mine. Everyone's got something to sell. The OP is putting out feelers to see if there is any interest. Maybe he thinks he's doing us a favor!
As pretty as it is, I'd have no interest in that wood at any price. We all know if it's not made from koa it's not an ukulele anyway.

How accurate is the portrayal of life in hawaiian as resperented by the remake of Hawaii Five 0.

It's an exact portrayal of life in Hawaii Pete. They don't even hire actors, they simply point the cameras on the streets and let 'em roll.
BTW, Do you all dress up like women like they do on Monty Python?

It amuses me that this has turned into a discussion about shameless self promotion. Just look at half the signatures of those who've posted here, including mine. Everyone's got something to sell. The OP is putting out feelers to see if there is any interest. Maybe he thinks he's doing us a favor!
As pretty as it is, I'd have no interest in that wood at any price. We all know if it's not made from koa it's not an ukulele anyway.

Hey Chuck, why would't you be interested in that wood? I kind of wish I had jumped on that tenor you made out of macadamia nut wood. I'm sure if you built a uke using the wood being discussed here, it would fly out of your shop in no time! Haha!

Yep - it's like a lot of these posts. The answer is already there so why ask? The reason perhaps is not to ask but punt the builders for customers? This post was/is simultaneously in the market section...

Yes Chuck we are putting it out there whenever we post. However I would disagree that in this forum we are punting for work. On the contrary, most of us, including you who post here are doing so to ask and answer relevant questions about luthiery, not marketing. This is not a forum where we get clients - we have websites and reputations to do that. When I post videos it's not to bragg or drive business my way but to 'spread the love' and I truly say this without irony. I rarely post on the British forum because I got accused of shameless self promotion and curiously, knowing nothing about a craft I had pursued for 35 years, 4 which I trained and 15 followed professionally. This type of post gets irksome when the genuine reason for posting is so gratuitously disguised as a plea for help. He already knew the answer and was punting us to see who would bid for the wood. I don't mind that and all power to the guy - wish him well. If I built guitars I am sure I' want o use something so very pretty. However, the luthier section is not the forum for that - the 'marketplace' is. Hence my attempt to hi-jack the thread with the Five 0 query.

Sorry for hammering home the point but we had this with the now gone Ron - it doesn't enlarge our knowledge of building or innovation so maybe you'll forgive me for putting my case strongly. I defend the right to promote one's stuff - in the righ place and if I am ever out of order here I expect to be put right, not attacked in a lame and sarcastic manner.

And young Cursley - it's not always like this... I got some clear fine Welsh yew for £5 a set the other day with more to come. Nice sap and even colour (no bleeds or shakes) Some beautiful tenors there inspired by your build...

Hi Pete, wow that's sounds like a bargain, and welsh too!! They have proper water for their trees in Wales, i should know, I've canyoned down most of it!! So Pete... What's the chances of some yew winding it's way to bmth?

Ps, I have saved £8 towards my internship.

Pete likes straight talking so from a fellow Englishman here goes I think you are bang out of order attacking that guy like you did, it not only highlighted your ignorance but also your breath taking arrogance.In my humble opinion he had a rough idea of the value but was not totally confident and so was looking for a bit of feedback, you were right when you said he,d come to the wrong place, little did he expect a snarling bitter ukulele maker from u.k to attack him so viciously and on such little evidence, I have no idea why you should jump to such an irrational and thoughtless conclusion in effect you were calling him a liar and your attack was little short of a character assassination, this forum exists for the enjoyment and sharing of ukulele information in a pleasant and jovial manner you have managed to single handedly destroy much of the goodwill that exists here, and I hope no one reads this posting which will mean no one has read your vituperative and libellous comments, by your own admission you already left one forum maybe you should think a bit more before jumping to conclusions, or you might be asked to leave another forum

Top Bottom