The Tree quilted mahogany for uke sets

Thanks Sven for the info about pete hey tho I,m so loose really slack and I,m having a great time I think the guy got hounded away I felt aggrieved for him I hate prejudice and felt the need to respond but everything cool thanks for putting me straight

Well, I'm back. Surprised? I did manage to work out the transaction, although wasn't going to believe it until it happened. It was dependent upon bartering some old wood I had acquired (old mahogany and old real deal swamp cypress) and he went for it. phewwwww.... I've tried to post a quick picture for those interested. To all of those who were generous enough to help me figure out the ukulele aspect of the wood, my thanks. One of the wonders of the "internet tube" is how it can create such new and expansive shared communities (like this) for all to enjoy. Thanks for letting me belong for a bit. For all the others (well, "other" I should say) I suggest you put your feet up, grab a Guinness, and loosen up your G string a bit. When the time comes for me to sell/barter the uke sets off, I'll make sure to contact those here who have lent a hand first!

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17050

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17051

Attachments

• IMG_1198.jpg
    IMG_1198.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 95
  • Quilt long board.jpg
    Quilt long board.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1197.jpg
    IMG_1197.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Can I take a 5th amendment on that ? :eek::eek::eek:

Wow, being the Ugly American that I am, I didn't realize you could plead the 5th in the UK! I thought that was an American thing.

Very nice figuring from the Tree. It is the real deal. I have just released four boards suitable for guitar making and also have some pieces which would suit a smaller instrument. please e-mail rupert36@gmail.com and I will send pictures.
For history search. "the Tree" "quilted mahogany" or "fiddleback mahogany." It is extremely rare.

Since someone already resurrected this thread... I'm going to reply and say PLEASE post pictures here or pm me with pictures of the finished product. If I had the money I would drop it in a heartbeat to own a ukulele with that crazy pattern on it, especially if I could say it's got that kind of history to it.

I stumbled upon this old thread again. If you Google anything about "ukes" and "The Tree" you end up getting to read, for free, a whole litany of off target attempts at character assassination about me. Ah, the wonders of the internet. At least I'm still relatively anonymous I guess. I would be happy to post some pictures here when I have some finished product for those interested, although it won't be for awhile. I've managed to find a guitar builder who's accepting some of the wood in barter as partial payment for my guitar using the wood, and a uke builder who it looks like is willing to do the same. It's all working out, but it's been quite a journey getting there - remember I stumbled upon the chance to get this wood and have no wood brokering or lutherie experience myself. Part of the fun has been getting to meet and work with some really cool people, and of course when it's all done, I'm going to have one really cool guitar and one pretty slick concert uke too!

Lovely tho this wood is you overvalued it I'm afraid - I have just cut a set of the most incredible crushed fiddleback that equals anything that has been shown here - cost me $40 on eBay...

Last edited:
Lovely thop this wood is you overvalued it I'm afraid - I have just cut a set of the most incredible crushed fiddleback that equals anything that has been shown here - cost me $40 on eBay...

I was watching that set, too. It is stunning. When I saw that it sold for $41.00, I started kicking myself; I thought it would go higher. I also hesitated because I was really looking for back and sides, and was balking about the top included in the set. I was thinking spruce for the top and didn't want to have the left over top haunting me. I stopped kicking myself when I read your post. The set is in better hands. I would love to see what you make of it.

Lovely tho this wood is you overvalued it I'm afraid

That's not actually the case, at least as far as the guitar sets I'm getting. I will get pretty much what I hoped for there. If the third piece I was able to acquire was just a little longer and could be used for guitar sides, then I would have another three entire guitar sets and would have come out way ahead. Not worth fretting about what might have been, though. The way it is, even if I lose some money on the uke sized only piece (and I probably will a bit) I'll still come out quite a bit ahead overall, and will have learned quite a bit and made some wonderful friends in the process (plus the incredible guitar and uke I would likely never have had a chance to own). The whole reason for coming on to this forum, you remember, was to see if I could get an estimate for the value of the sets for ukes so as to know if I should risk getting that third piece. There are actually others out there selling uke sets from The Tree now, which should make a little less guess work for others from here on out.

Top Bottom