Thread: "Long Live" In Other Languages?

Default "Long Live" In Other Languages?

Hey guys, I'm writing a song and I need to know a bunch of different ways to say, "Long Live" in other languages.

I don't have many so far. I've only got:

Spanish - Viva
    Tagalog - Mabuhay
    L'Chaim - Hebrew

Anyone know how to say it in Hawaiian, for example? Any help is greatly appreciated.

How about

Japanese - Banzai
    Korean - Manse (mahn-say)
    Dutch - Lang leve (lah-ng lay-vah)
    French - Vive (vee-vuh)

Don't mention the emperor or the word "colonial" in the same sentence with the first two versions though.
    ... are you covering Viva Las Vegas??? I doubt you can top the King's mojo for that one...
    sigs disabled kthxbai

Quote Originally Posted by UkeNinja View Post
    How about

Japanese - Banzai
    Korean - Manse (mahn-say)
    Dutch - Lang leve (lah-ng lay-vah)
    French - Vive (vee-vuh)

Don't mention the emperor or the word "colonial" in the same sentence with the first two versions though.
    ... are you covering Viva Las Vegas??? I doubt you can top the King's mojo for that one...
    Thank you, kind sir! Great stuff. And no, I'm not covering Viva Las Vegas... there ain't enough mojo in the world for me to out-Elvis the pelvis.

Quote Originally Posted by seeso View Post
    Hey guys, I'm writing a song and I need to know a bunch of different ways to say, "Long Live" in other languages.

I don't have many so far. I've only got:

Spanish - Viva
    Tagalog - Mabuhay
    L'Chaim - Hebrew

Anyone know how to say it in Hawaiian, for example? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    ola is life loa is some what long. havent spoken hawaiian for 8 yrs so i cant really say ola loa is the correct way to say it. if youre meaning it like cheers in drinking its okole ma luna

Well some spanish source told me that long live means

vivir [biˈβir] vt (= experimentar) → to live o go through
    vi (gen), (COM): vivir (de) → to live (by, off, on)
    nm → life, living;
    ¡viva! → hurray!;
    ¡viva el rey! → long live the king!

-Collins Spanish Dictionary & Grammar 4th Edition 2006 © HarperCollins Publishers 1997, 2000, 2004, 2006
    Praise the ukulele!!!

"roa ora" in maori... i think anyway, pretty sure. I can prob get it in Samoan as well.. but later cause i dont speak it

Quote Originally Posted by titoboy5 View Post
    ola is life loa is some what long. havent spoken hawaiian for 8 yrs so i cant really say ola loa is the correct way to say it. if youre meaning it like cheers in drinking its okole ma luna
    tito, I looked it up in the Hawaiian dictionary and ola loa does mean long life or longevity. Ola lo'ihi is another word that can also be used and has the same meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanaka916 View Post
    tito, I looked it up in the Hawaiian dictionary and ola loa does mean long life or longevity. Ola lo'ihi is another word that can also be used and has the same meaning.
    the thing with hawaiian language is that it translating english to hawaiian can be tricky. loa i think deals with time vs lo'ihi is distance. it also depends on what island youre from and who is your teacher. example: kaipo , kai = beach , po = night , ka = the, ipo = sweet heart and so on!

Thread Information