Which Ukulele do i buy!!!!

cherry413

Reaction score
Hey Ukers! I am a beginner Ukulele player...like major beginner i dont even have a uke yet! But i know all about the Ukilele(like the different parts, a couple chords, and strumming patterns) but i desperately need one to play on!!!:iwant: so i was wondering if anyone could suggest one or tell me about the ones that i know of. Like are the Makala dolphins ukes any good, should i get a soprano or a concert(i dont want a tenor or a baritone), do mahalo ukuleles really suck, who should i buy from(preferably online), are the frets on a soprano hard to play on?:confused: As you can see i need ALOT of help....just looking these things up is really annoying now i need real help....Thanks!
P.s. My price range is under $110:(

Welcome to the UU!! The Makala Dolphin is an excellent starter uke. Make sure that the uke has aquila strings on it for the best sound. Check out MGM on ebay (Musicguymic). Also there is UkeRepublic in GA. Not sure if they carry Makala Dolphins.

Hi Cherry, and welcome to UU!

That is good advice above. The Makala dolphin ukulele plays pretty well, and is fun. I am a regular size guy (5'10") and a soprano is not hard for me to play, in fact it really has become my favorite size uke to play.

As far as which uke to get, I say buy the best quality uke you can afford. You won't be sorry. Excellent advice to check out MGM and UkeRepublic. Both owners are regular posters here on UU and will make sure you don't end up with a garbage uke.

UkeRepublic:
http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/

Looks like there are some sales at ukerepublic. For a few more dollars you could get a mango soprano mainland ukulele. A great uke. However, there is a lot in your price range so you could get something nicer than a dolphin.

MusicGuyMike's ebay store:
http://stores.ebay.com/musicguymicsroom

Talk to/email both of them and see what they suggest. Also, get a electronic clip on tuner, and you have everything you need. Good luck and let us know what you get!

Hi Cherry. I'm 5'11 and have played electric bass guitar for 30 years. I have a couple of concerts, a tenor, and a baritone, but by FAR soprano is my favorite size. It can get tight up on the upper frets, but I can manage it (I don't play up that high very often even on a tenor... I am, after all, a "bottom-dwelling" bass player!).
I've played a couple of Dolphins and thought they were ok, but they hadn't been set-up properly. I've heard great things about them if they're properly set-up and strung with Aquilas. I've bought other ukes from MGM and he does great set-ups, so I've thought about picking up a Dolphin someday, if I can ever decide which color. In your price range, you should look at some of the Kala sopranos, and possibly Ohana. If you could go, say, $50-60 higher, you would have a lot more options... but you'll likely start saving right away for another one anyway!

As Christmas gets closer your choices will get more limited. I have been trying to get some Makala Dolphins for gifts, and they seem to be almost sold out everywhere. Availability of colors is very limited, and they don't expect more in before next year. So I suggest you just jump in and get something that really appeals to you in your price range. Make sure you have a case, or at least a strong box to store it in, and an electronic tuner. Kalas and Ohanas will be in your price range, or a tad higher. If you are willing to go a bit higher, you could consider a Flea (by Magic Fluke). If you can shop in person, you can get a better idea what size to start with. I came from guitars, so tenor was my first choice. I didn't think I could ever play sopranos, but eventually I ended up getting several. I think I like concert the best, with the tenor and soprano a close second. Everyone is a bit different, and the only way to find out is to try. If you can find a local ukulele group, drop by during one of their meetings, and I am sure they will show you their ukuleles.

–Lori

Haha well i guess i'll steer clear of the mahalo ukes but i was looking at the oscar schmidt ou2e and i think i want that its pretty nice..... thx for all the info!

Another low price option is the Rogue soprano from musicians friend / music123, I got one a while back on MM Stan's recommendation and after changing out the crap strings it came with for Aquila's it's a pretty decent player. I was very impressed for a uke with a gig bag delivered to my door for $29.99. They also have a baritone but I haven't tried that one.

Cherry,

I have a Makala Dolphin ("orange burst" color) and I like it. I bought it from MGM, and it is true what they say - he sets them up nicely with aquila strings and a good, low action. It's very easy to chord on it and it sounds nice: overall, a great deal and fun to play. That being said, I wouldn't want it to be my only uke - all wood (as opposed to laminate top / plastic sides) just seems better. I also have a laminate Lanikai concert (LU-21C), which was about $80 and is a nice ukulele for the money. I bought it from amazon, and the action was good but not great. I just took it in to a ukulele / guitar repair shop, and was told the saddle is too high, and is causing the neck to bow a little bit. Finally, I have a solid mahogany Mainland soprano ukulele, which is my favorite - it sounds, plays, and yes, smells, nicer than the other two. It is also more expensive (about $180; $200 or so with S&H).

So, in the under $200 range, I think you do get what you pay for. But, in the end, any ukulele is better than no ukulele. In this range, if you get something you don't love, you can always buy another one without feeling too terrible. Go with something you're excited about, and I think it will work out (it has for me).

Hi Cherry. I agree completely with everyone's advice. Given your budget and the fact that you do not presently have anything to play, I would recommend that you buy from musicguymic. I have purchased a few from him - he sets them up nicely and you will receive the ukulele in just a few days. In fact, I would suggest that you buy this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Kala-...965?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a60abefdd

You will be under budget and still have a good instrument to learn on. You will probably want a solid wood ukulele, so save the rest of your dough and apply it to your next purchase. Then you will have a decent mid-range uke and one to knock around with.

I have 4 sopranos and a concert. I think I prefer sopranos for the traditional ukulele sound and punch. It depends on the type of music you want to play, though. Watch a lot of ukulele videos on youtube to get an idea of what you like.

Top Bottom