Quick question regarding ukulele hard case

ukejack82

Reaction score
I have a MainLand tenor and I am in the market for a hard case. Are there differences between hard cases based on the model of ukulele you have? Would I be safe buying any tenor hard case or should I stick to a model specifically designed for MainLands?

Thanks,

Jack

I've made the mistake of ordering a soprano hard case online, only to find that it was too small. So I'd recommend trying the fit in person first, or ordering something specifically made for your uke.

I bought one of those "Vintage Tweed Tenor" ukulele cases on eBay & when it came in it was a TIGHT fit for the Mainland Tenor. A Fender Nohea I had fit it much better. Check out the inside dimensions that most ads include & measure carefully. What is hard to get a "feel" for is how thick the "fuzzy" lining actually is & how well it compresses (w/whatever foam is under it).

BUT I have ordered another one just like it cause the price was right & I'm going to see if the fuzzy part compresses with use - it certainly will be well padded & won't bounce around which I often find w/those Uke crazy or similar "hard shell" cases that are really just foam lined w/faux velvet.

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like I should stick to something specifically made for my uke. Why save a couple of bucks to get something that does not fit right.

- Jack

I bought one of those "Vintage Tweed Tenor" ukulele cases on eBay & when it came in it was a TIGHT fit for the Mainland Tenor. A Fender Nohea I had fit it much better. Check out the inside dimensions that most ads include & measure carefully. What is hard to get a "feel" for is how thick the "fuzzy" lining actually is & how well it compresses (w/whatever foam is under it).

BUT I have ordered another one just like it cause the price was right & I'm going to see if the fuzzy part compresses with use - it certainly will be well padded & won't bounce around which I often find w/those Uke crazy or similar "hard shell" cases that are really just foam lined w/faux velvet.

Mainland has pretty fair prices on their hardshells and you would be sure it fits. That's what I would do.

Yup. That's what I bought too, only soprano size. They run small!
I bought one of the soprano size and it's a perfect fit for my Kumalae, and seems quite well made for the price. But as has been said check your measurements carefully with any case you can't physically try.

My tweed is pretty tight for a kala lacewood too- not sure if it is too tight, but I sure am hesitant. Fits my Martin like a dream though- It seems the model on Mainlands site has to be the same one without the Stagg logo, but what do I know?

Gonna resurrect this thread because I just got a Mainland red cedar tenor and it's in dire need of a case, as it came naked. :eek:

I had ordered this Stagg tweed hardshell off Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Stagg-Tenor-T..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=13PSAZ4B63A76HPE4BDJ

But I put another tenor in it and it had room to swim, so I returned it assuming it was a bari since the measurements were considerably larger than what the listing said.

Now I see someone has posted a review and said it was a "bit big" for a tenor so I'm wondering if they might have gotten a bari as well or if the Stagg cases really run large when others here have mentioned their tweeds running small.

I really, really like the vintage tweed look and I really liked the Stagg case, aside from it being the wrong size. So anyone have experience with the Stagg tweeds?

Yes, I considered buying one directly from Mainland, but (a) they don't have the tenor tweed in stock, and (b) I've got plenty in amazon credits so nothing out of pocket, plus it's eligible for free 2-day shipping with prime. :)

This uke deserves a nice case. It's sitting just a few feet away staring at me with those puppy dog eyes that say, "Please don't put me back in that cardboard box!"

I am kinda partial to Oscar Schmidt hardshell cases. In fact, I own at least half a dozen of them. I put my KoAloha ukes in them, have Ohana ukes in them, and even Oscar Schmidt ukes in them-- go figure. :)

I got tenor and a soprano tweed hard cases off of ebay for my Kala ukes, TIGHT fit, but they just make it in.

And be careful when you're shopping for a hard case, you might end up buying another ukulele. Just a few dollars more, after all ;)

I just called the vendor, who checked and confirmed there was a mixup in shipping bari/tenor cases to the Amazon fulfillment center. He said they are going to recall them all and sort them out and ship them back and said to call him next Wednesday to verify that things have been straightened out before I reorder. Glad I called. :)

I have my Mainland concert in a vintage tweed from eBay and it fits like a dream.

I am kinda partial to Oscar Schmidt hardshell cases. In fact, I own at least half a dozen of them. I put my KoAloha ukes in them, have Ohana ukes in them, and even Oscar Schmidt ukes in them-- go figure. :)

I'm with Mickey ...I like them Oscar Schmidt vinyl hard case too...they are heavy and heavy duty and look nice too.. My first and most important rule...measure the inside, I usually like a snug fit..ASK....my OS concert case fits my Kamaka tenor snugly....I just cannot stand a loose inside fit...your ukulele can get just as damaged if it's loose inside....like wearing wrong shoes.. I always ask for inside
dementions or bring the ukulele down..., Second chocie would be Guardian Hard Cases...love the insides...hope it helps..Good Luck, MM Stan

Last edited:
The Oscar Schmidt cases look nice, but I just can't see myself rockin' a brand I don't own when their logo is featured so prominently. Although, if you have an expensive Kamaka and carry it in an OS case, perhaps it would be less likely to be stolen. :p

Anyway, when I talked to the vendor rep and mentioned that the case was for a Mainland tenor, he told me they've supplied this same case to Mainland, so I'm presuming it will be a good fit. :)

No offense to Mike and Mainland, but if I can get the same case for significantly less with free shipping on Amazon, that's what I'll do.

Anyway, when I call back next week I'll mention the review they got on Amazon saying the case was "big" and suggest they contact the buyer about whether or not they actually received a bari case instead of a tenor.

I see their Amazon listing now says that the tenor tweed is currently unavailable.

Anyway, I'll call them next week and make sure I have reasonable assurance that the next time I order a tenor case that's what I'll actually get.

The Oscar Schmidt cases look nice, but I just can't see myself rockin' a brand I don't own when their logo is featured so prominently. Although, if you have an expensive Kamaka and carry it in an OS case, perhaps it would be less likely to be stolen. :p

The way I see it, covering that logo, if it bothers you, is an easy task... or spray-paint the whole case. Those OS cases are pretty solid and offer excellent protection at a great price-point, especially the tenor cases with their thicker padding. Get a big sticker and slap over the logo... you're good to go.

Yes you heard that right...my Tenor Kamaka fits snugly in my Oscar Schmidt Concert case...Cannot state this any better...ask for inside dementions...every uke is different...and my kamaka in there is
a white label one..You know about 3 months ago these cases were on sale for 36.00 from Musicians friend..now ther are back to something like regular price about 59.00... As Mikey said...Put
stickers there if you don't like the OS name..ha ha..Put Ukulele Underground Stickers over it..and represent girl.... ha ha I remember when my friend was getting ribbed for buying a nikon camera
case for his Nikon...ha ha like informing the theives ..Hey man this one.. yeah not much into product labeling...only UU counts for me..MM Stan
also they are thick vinyl and real easy to clean....

Top Bottom