Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kristal Audio Engine - easy to use for multi-track recording and editing

Forgive me guys, this seems to be a related threadabout audio playback issues? I also have a similar question and may i ask. Recently i downloaded a digital file in DSS format but it couldn't be played in vlc or windows media player. So I downloaded a audio converter as you can see (www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/convert-dss-to-mp3.html) to convert DSS to mp3. However, just before the conversion process started, it askedme to preset bit rate and sample rate. I have know ideas what these two parameters refer to and what the differences are? What values should i set? Could anyone give me an answer, thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxTrite View Post
    Forgive me guys, this seems to be a related threadabout audio playback issues? I also have a similar question and may i ask. Recently i downloaded a digital file in DSS format but it couldn't be played in vlc or windows media player. So I downloaded a audio converter as you can see (www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/convert-dss-to-mp3.html) to convert DSS to mp3. However, just before the conversion process started, it askedme to preset bit rate and sample rate. I have know ideas what these two parameters refer to and what the differences are? What values should i set? Could anyone give me an answer, thank you very much.
    Despite this thread being with no activity from 7 yrs ago, I may be able to help.

Bit-rate explanation for audio and video is explained here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_rate#Multimedia

Sample rate is also explained here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampli...Audio_sampling

if you read the above links and still have questions, I will try to help further, however as a starter...

a 16, 24 or 32-bit 320kbps 44.1khz MP3 is about equal to a 160kbps 44.1khz AAC, M4A (Apple) or similar open-format FLAC or OGG audio file...

and will be smaller in file size (by a factor of 10) and near-CD quality, and similar to uncompressed and lossless WAV or AIFF audio that is 16-bit 300kbps 44.1khz (commonly know as the CD-mastering format of 'Red-Book Audio')

Unless you have ridiculously expensive and audiophile-level audio gear like a $5k amplifier with a pair or several pairs of $2k speakers or a $900 pair of headphones, MOST people cannot even hear the difference between 44.1khz, 96khz or higher sampling rates due to poor hearing acuity, so unless you are trying to make a recording going out to a professional mastering house, or scoring for film that is presented in and of they THX or Dolby Surround Sound systems, I just would not bother, since lots of playback devices still max out at 44.1khz and cannot play anthing with a higher sampling rate.

For average-joe consumer electronics, it's more marketing hype than anything useful for home recording.

Quote Originally Posted by Booli View Post
    Despite this thread being with no activity from 7 yrs ago, I may be able to help.

Bit-rate explanation for audio and video is explained here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_rate#Multimedia

Sample rate is also explained here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampli...Audio_sampling

if you read the above links and still have questions, I will try to help further, however as a starter...

a 16, 24 or 32-bit 320kbps 44.1khz MP3 is about equal to a 160kbps 44.1khz AAC, M4A (Apple) or similar open-format FLAC or OGG audio file...

and will be smaller in file size (by a factor of 10) and near-CD quality, and similar to uncompressed and lossless WAV or AIFF audio that is 16-bit 300kbps 44.1khz (commonly know as the CD-mastering format of 'Red-Book Audio')

Unless you have ridiculously expensive and audiophile-level audio gear like a $5k amplifier with a pair or several pairs of $2k speakers or a $900 pair of headphones, MOST people cannot even hear the difference between 44.1khz, 96khz or higher sampling rates due to poor hearing acuity, so unless you are trying to make a recording going out to a professional mastering house, or scoring for film that is presented in and of they THX or Dolby Surround Sound systems, I just would not bother, since lots of playback devices still max out at 44.1khz and cannot play anthing with a higher sampling rate.

For average-joe consumer electronics, it's more marketing hype than anything useful for home recording.
    Thank you for you warm answer! Although it is a little bit complicated buy i will try to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxTrite View Post
    Thank you for you warm answer! Although it is a little bit complicated buy i will try to figure it out.
    If the wikipedia pages I linked to in my above post are too confusing, searching these topics on youtube will find lots of explanations that may shed some light to help you understand.

Thread Information