Vintage tuning pegs

I didn't want to have to change the pegs from wooden either! I collect antique EVERYTHING, so the thought of changing it bothered me, I just didn't know if the pegs were in such bad condition that i'd have to change them. I'll give them a light sand and get some chalk tomorrow. Do you think if I took it to a local music store they'd be able to make me new ones, or sell them? There's a little music store across the road that gives music lessons, and sell guitars, violins, flutes, etc. So maybe they'll be able to further help me out with the hands on aspect!

It is always worth a try. I bet yours will be working by tomorrow though! I would guess you would have to ask for violin peg tuners. They are usually made of Ebony and they will be a little fancier.

You might get lucky and they could have some that work....good luck! I am interested to hear what you find. I am going to ask at music stores around here which carry violins and see what I find as I plan on getting more uke's with peg tuners!

To my dismay, I believe the shop I wanted to go to tomorrow is closed on Sundays. But I checked out their website and it mentioned they do restoration, so I'm pretty positive they can help me. I'm just hoping it's not too pricey to get them to possibly make me new peg tuners if they had to. I don't have much cash these days as i'm out of work. I'd hate it if I couldn't afford to get this thing fixed. But I must be optimistic. I'll keep you posted!

ebony violin pegs go for $3 a piece. Buy one, see if it fits and works, if so, get 3 more- done. If not, ask the restoration guys, they may be able to quickly ream out the holes to the right size assuming the violin pegs were too big vs too small. If it goes beyond that, having custom tuners made to fit from scratch may run $50-$100 depending on labor costs in your area. I just PMed Pete Howlett on this forum. He is in Wales but uses wooden tunning pegs on his custom builds, he will know the answer.

Oh, well that's not too high of a price. I sanded the holes and pegs a bit, and tried to tune them with the strings i took off yesterday (just to see if it would hold) and they are holding better, but still slip sometimes when tuning. Is that normal for it to still slip, or should it always stay and not slip at all when tuning? And also, has anyone ever tried to use some of these peg drops? They are supposed to help with slipping. http://www.samash.com/p/Carlo Robelli_Peg Drops Liquid Peg Compound_-49986717

Last edited:
Good news! Took the uke to the restoration/music place yesterday, and the guy there put something called "Peg Dope" on there, and put fresh strings on there. It's now staying tuned, so I believe my problem has been solved!

That is good news, it's allways a pity, IMO, when a vintage item needs to altered to be serviceable. I hope your friend enjoys the uke, we'll be interested to hear!

Cheers.

Top Bottom