Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Folk music on a ukulele?

Default Folk music on a ukulele?

Would anyone have any suggestions? Or any obscure songs, for that matter?
    Wish List
    Kala Ubass
    A Banjolele
    A Concert ukulele
    A Tenor ukulele
    A Makala Dolphin

If you Youtube James Hill, he has done LOTS of folk music. There is a good clip of he and Anne Davison doing two pieces from Nova Scotia. I think outside the US, folk music is quite popular on the ukulele.

I'm writing a jig at the moment, ironically. But it's still in the, "What do I do next?" stage.
    "A few chords strummed on a ukulele, enough to please a few others beside yourself, does more good in this world than the combined efforts of all the financiers and politicians that ever lived."

My YouTube channel.
    Faith 101, a Christian music project.
    My Website, home of Original Ukulele Compositions & Arrangements.

Mya-Moe Port Orford Cedar/Maple Concert
    MP Custom Zebrawood Pineapple Longneck Soprano

One of the things I am discovering is just how much can be played on the uke. often people in UK seem to think only in terms of formby or hawaian type music. I have been trying lately to play a wide variety of songs, from traditional folk, sixties Dylan and Joan Baez, Guthrie, Simon and Garfunckel and early rock and roll. Most seem to work pretty well ( as long as you stay off things in the key of E) I tend to favour Country music and some of those work really well.
    Actually it would be very interesting to see what others tend to play, especially as the members on this site seem to be from all parts of the world. So c'mon chaps lets hear what you play!!

My band plays bluegrass and Celtic folk, and I like the way the uke sounds with this kind of music (I also play the accordion, the mandolin, and the tin whistle). We've just done a version of "Across the Great Divide" with a uke in it. What sort of folk do you like? It's hard to give advice without knowing what kind of stuff you're looking for.

Here is a nice version of Blowing In The Wind, played by Melissa from UU.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gFhDl4hPKo

I really have been getting into bands such as Devendra Banhart, Bright Eyes, and Bishop Allen. Perhaps even Simon & Garfunkel.
    Wish List
    Kala Ubass
    A Banjolele
    A Concert ukulele
    A Tenor ukulele
    A Makala Dolphin

I would not look for Ukulele folk music... rather folk music that you can transpose to the uke.
    Mumford and Sons, Greg Holden, Tallest Man on Earth, and Bon Iver are just a few names I can think of off the top of my head

Quote Originally Posted by nickman2 View Post
    I would not look for Ukulele folk music... rather folk music that you can transpose to the uke.
    Mumford and Sons, Greg Holden, Tallest Man on Earth, and Bon Iver are just a few names I can think of off the top of my head
    I've helped a boy at school arrange Winter Winds by Mumford & Sons to ukulele. It's a natural. My only complaint about it is that I play the accordion instead of my ukulele!
    "A few chords strummed on a ukulele, enough to please a few others beside yourself, does more good in this world than the combined efforts of all the financiers and politicians that ever lived."

My YouTube channel.
    Faith 101, a Christian music project.
    My Website, home of Original Ukulele Compositions & Arrangements.

Mya-Moe Port Orford Cedar/Maple Concert
    MP Custom Zebrawood Pineapple Longneck Soprano

Interesting how "folk music" means something different to everybody! When I think of "folk music" I tend to think of this sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by janeray1940 View Post
    Interesting how "folk music" means something different to everybody! When I think of "folk music" I tend to think of this sort of thing.
    Your link was just the sort of thing I was looking for. Thank you.
    Wish List
    Kala Ubass
    A Banjolele
    A Concert ukulele
    A Tenor ukulele
    A Makala Dolphin

Thread Information